Air con service after two years?

Scruffy

You can buy a pair of keyfob batteries at Boots cheaper and it's easy to change them yourself. I'd buy some Bosch wipers at a motor factors, Amazon, or even Halfords. 

10 hours ago, SurreySlowCoach said:

I had my second service at 18000 miles last week. Advisory items included an a/c service (recommended every 2 years) for £139. Some years ago I read it was better to keep air con on all the time to avoid the seals drying out and having done that can't say I've had any issues at least not after two years. Also advised an antibacterial cleanse of a/c and interior  (recommended every 12 months) for £39.99. Again, never noticed any funny smells and not too worried about my germs in the car, they must be all over the house. Key Fob battery replacement (recommended every 2 years), at £4.69 didn't think that was too bad so will probably take both keys in next time. Advised to replace wiper blades as noisy, been like that at times almost since new, at £37.20 again didn't think that was too bad but as this seems to be a common issue I'd rather take suggestions on here from people that have had the same issue and choose the make of blade myself.

Cost for the service was £249.20, this did include a pollen filter. Sadly these covid days no wash and vac but you do get a video of the underside of your car.

Interestingly the oil on the invoice was Castrol Edge 0W-20 which looking at the Castrol site doesn't seem to have a VAG rating, at the last service they used a 5W-30. The switch to the 5W-30 resulted in a small but immediate increase in fuel consumption while going back to 0W-20 which I think was the original spec has resulted in an immediate drop in consumption.

See AC comments above. Looks like you’re on top of the “smell” issue. Or lack of.

Car will give dash warning when key fob battery is low. Then will still work OK for ages.

Mine is a CR2032 (I think) buy a few for pennies online and change when the need arises. In fact go practice opening your key fob right now.

Wiper blades cost pennies (compared with dealer) online also. Buy some Bosch blades now.  Store them in the boot. And fit them in 2 minutes when you shred the current blades.

Edited by BoxerBoy

13 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

See AC comments above. Looks like you’re on top of the “smell” issue. Or lack of.

Car will give dash warning when key fob battery is low. Then will still work OK for ages.

Mine is a CR2032 (I think) buy a few for pennies online and change when the need arises. In fact go practice opening your key fob right now.

Wiper blades cost pennies (compared with dealer) online also. Buy some Bosch blades now.  Store them in the boot. And fit them in 2 minutes when you shred the current blades.

My Karoq uses CR2025 (I know); they are a tad slimmer than CR2032. The originals are Panasonic, and I have some spares ready - my car is now 23 months old. I would not buy unbranded cheapo batteries.

The car came fitted with (I think) Valeo wiper blades .......... and they were noisy rubbish. I replaced them with Bosch - which were brilliant by comparison. See this thread where wiper blades are discussed. If you get the correct ones, fitting is an absolute doddle.

I have also been offered and declined the 2-yr aircon service - what do they do for that money?

Edited by StEdmund
Added point

Advisory is an old chestnut. I was advised my tyres only had 4mm of tread left and the brake pads only had 40% linings left. Us old uns who owned agricultural 60s Vivas and Anglias are not taken in by these selling techniques. My keyfob batteries are coming up to 7 years old although the range is shorter. 

Edited by edbostan
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, edbostan said:

My keyfob batteries are coming up to 7 years old although the range is shorter. 

But your Roomster won't have keyless entry will it?? It's that new 'aid' that seems to cut battery life dramatically as they are constantly signalling to see if your car is nearby, while the old style (like my Golf keys) only transmit when you push the button.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edbostan said:

Advisory is an old chestnut. I was advised my tyres only had 4mm of tread left and the brake pads only had 40% linings left. Us old uns who owned agricultural 60s Vivas and Anglias are not taken in by these selling techniques. My keyfob batteries are coming up to 7 years old although the range is shorter. 

I was raised on BMC cars, a different world, plugs and points every weekend and you could go to the parts counter and they'd have whatever little lock washer from the bowels of the engine you might need. Amazing we're still here considering the amount of brake drums we must have brushed out.

• 3 years later...

Interesting, Looking to buy a nearly 6 year old octavia which has never had a aircon service - asked Skoda dealer selling it if they will service it as part of their pre-delivery service and they said it's not required - I wonder what they'll say when it goes in for it's next service?

For my 5 year old 30 k miles 1.5 Karoq the local Skoda dealer quoted £140 for air con service.

Had it done at an independent for £80.

I do not use air con very often but after 5 years it definitely needed doing, an instant improvement.

On 17/08/2020 at 14:03, CJJE said:

But your Roomster won't have keyless entry will it?? It's that new 'aid' that seems to cut battery life dramatically as they are constantly signalling to see if your car is nearby, while the old style (like my Golf keys) only transmit when you push the button.

As an update my fob battery is 10-years-old and when I wanted to find my vehicle last week in a car park it activated while I was 30ft away so still good. My son has a 2017 Mini with keyless and as you say his have had to be replaced.

On 06/01/2024 at 21:37, Karock said:

For my 5 year old 30 k miles 1.5 Karoq the local Skoda dealer quoted £140 for air con service.

Had it done at an independent for £80.

I do not use air con very often but after 5 years it definitely needed doing, an instant improvement.

There were two prices for an aircon service; one price for the older type of refrigerant and a higher price for the latest refrigerant. The older gas was replaced for half the cost but now the prices have been aligned to reflect the higher. A con. Sorry for the pun!

39 minutes ago, edbostan said:

There were two prices for an aircon service; one price for the older type of refrigerant and a higher price for the latest refrigerant. The older gas was replaced for half the cost but now the prices have been aligned to reflect the higher. A con. Sorry for the pun!

My independent said that yes two types of refridgerant but apparently not interchangeable. My 2018 car had the older type so was less expensive. Even the newer refridgerent was much less than the main stealer though.

58 minutes ago, Karock said:

My independent said that yes two types of refridgerant but apparently not interchangeable. My 2018 car had the older type so was less expensive. Even the newer refridgerent was much less than the main stealer though.

Bearing in mind the older type, R134a, has been banned for use in new model releases since 2011,  I think it's pretty unlikely Karoq uses it.

The prices you quoted seem about right for the newer, R-1234yf, gas.   The indie we use will do a recharge with the old stuff for £45.  I had a our old (late mk1) Tiguan done at a VW dealer for £79 a couple of years ago.  They were around £150 for the newer gas.

That is strange!

The technician that re-charged my 2018 Karoq's air con said that the charging machine would tell him which refridgerent was installed and that it was the old type. So I am puzzled if it was not approved after 2011.

3 hours ago, Karock said:

That is strange!

The technician that re-charged my 2018 Karoq's air con said that the charging machine would tell him which refridgerent was installed and that it was the old type. So I am puzzled if it was not approved after 2011.

Oops 😬