tyres - 2 or 4 new ones at once ?

two of my tyres have approx 3 months of life left, the other two have approx 8 months. which should I do ?

1) rotate to even out the wear and replace all 4 at once, further down the line

2) leave alone, and replace the worst 2, soon  

Kodiaq RS, done 30,000 km, rotated twice since new 

Depends on the actual tread left. Based on this and how close tread is to 1.6mm and considering we are entering autumn / winter where tread matters more with adverse weather conditions I would probably change all four. That would be my thought process based on the mileage I do and the fact my 3 kids are in the car most of the time.

I'm very new to the Kodiaq but on my previous 4wd cars there was a limit of 2-3mm difference in tread between front and rear. Any more than that could (allegedly) cause excessive wear to the front/rear differential and confuse the power split of the 4wd system.

Does that apply to Skoda's Haldex-based 4wd?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nimby said:

I'm very new to the Kodiaq but on my previous 4wd cars there was a limit of 2-3mm difference in tread between front and rear. Any more than that could (allegedly) cause excessive wear to the front/rear differential and confuse the power split of the 4wd system.

Does that apply to Skoda's Haldex-based 4wd?

Yes, and it's 100% recommended that you use the same tyre compound front and rear.

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

30,000KM is pretty good for a heavy car like the Kodiaq. How many km are you travelling per month? I would change them all in the next 3 months or say at 35,000km latest.:)

Maybe the Superb isn’t so economical on tyres, but my 190 TDI Kodiaq is closing in on 60k miles now, and still has >3mm (just) tread on all 4 tyres. I’m quite pleased with the tyre wear. Much better than my previous much lighter 2WD car. 

@Nimby

Were your previous 4x4's permanent 4x4's rather than ones that had Haldex?

PS

Plenty AWD vehicles from Audi, Porsche and other VW Group brands with dissimilar OEM tyres front to rear. 

Width, Circumference, tread, compound.

Usually wider on the rear but Audi gave the option of wider on the front with RS3's.

Edited by e-Roottoot

A quick Google search states that on cars the tyres should be rotated every 6 months or 6,000 miles and every 4,000 miles on 4 x 4 vehicles. This is from Dunlop who have been making tyres for a few years.:nod:

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word

19 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

Maybe the Superb isn’t so economical on tyres, but my 190 TDI Kodiaq is closing in on 60k miles now, and still has >3mm (just) tread on all 4 tyres. I’m quite pleased with the tyre wear. Much better than my previous much lighter 2WD car. 

360BHP tends to wear out soft performance tyres (when top speed is 160mph on my Superb) quicker than the squidgy baloons fitted to 190 Kodiaq's and your brakes are probably not as powerful to reign in all those 190PS you have to play with.:tongueout:

• Groan 1

Just now, e-Roottoot said:

@Nimby

Were your previous 4x4's permanent 4x4's rather than ones that had Haldex?

I had two X-Trails previously. Like the Kodiaq, power normally goes to the front wheels but it can send power the rear wheels if it detects the fronts are slipping.

Nissan use an electromechanical clutch rather than the hydraulic Haldex. I'll find out which is better in a couple of weeks!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SimonAudi said:

I would rotate them around - and wear them out evenly and change all 4 - that way you have the same tyres and compound on all 4 corners..

In an ideal world I would do that, but have found myself needing to replace individual tyres due to damage rather than wear. At the recent MOT one of the front tyres on the Octavia Scout needed replacing due to a bulge on the sidewall. I now have rear tyres with 4.5 and 5 mm, and front tyres with 5 mm and 8 mm. The damaged tyre had 2.5 mm. The rear tyres are the original Continentals and have done 35,000 miles so far. The older front is a more recent Continental and the one just fitted is a Runway. If there are any rules about fitting identical tyres, on the same axle, the Skoda dealership is not bothered about them.

Normally I would have visited a local tyre dealer before the MOT to get the iffy tyre checked, but decided to avoid visiting them due to the Covid situation.