Prices rising???

Tilt

I can understand the prices of some things rising a little, possibly due to the recent difficulties with transportation and sick employee's, but I've purchased Kenco for a while now due to it being quite a bit cheaper than Douwe Egberts pure gold, which I used to have as it makes a lovely cup of coffee, albeit of the instant variety...

Anyway, Morrisons have decided they need to increase the price of Kenco from its usual £4 for 200g to................................ £6.......... Wtf...

I see other stuff creeping up in price but a 50% increase is crazy......

Be back to Douwe Egberts at that rate..... Or wait until they have some on offer. :crying:

Any other crazy price increases apart from return flights from Portugal, Lol.

1 minute ago, Tilt said:

Morrisons have decided they need to increase the price of Kenco from its usual £4 for 200g to................................ £6.......... Wtf...

I see other stuff creeping up in price but a 50% increase is crazy......

You've got this the wrong way round.

The correct price is £6 but quite often it is discounted to £4 by alternating supermarkets. You must have only noticed it when Morrisons was in that cycle.

• Thanks 1

Also...

i seem to recall last year there was a genuine concern about coffee supplies before covid was even noticed in China. 

climate change driven issues and arabica coffee plants being a bit of a diva regarding growing conditions was going to lead to a poorer harvest than expected thus less product available for consumption equal price hike..

• Like 1

Maybe..........

2 hours ago, john999boy said:

You've got this the wrong way round.

The correct price is £4 but quite often it is inflated to £6 by alternating supermarkets. You must have only noticed it when Morrisons was in that cycle.

Lol.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tilt said:

So, it's the usual Morrisons 'rip the customers off if they're daft enough to pay it', price...........

Nobody's ripping anybody off if the product is priced correctly ;) 
Shop around, check prices before you go or, as I like to call it, 'do your homework first'. 

If everyone else is selling it for £4 @Lee01 and Morrisons are charging £6 for it, then I would call that a rip off...........

MRP.............. Manufacturers Morrisons rip-off price.

Got better things to do than checking out the prices before I go shopping, I expect t pay a fair price, which in my book would be similar to what others are charging, not 50% more than everyone else. Thanks tho.

59 minutes ago, Tilt said:

If everyone else is selling it for £4 @Lee01 and Morrisons are charging £6 for it, then I would call that a rip off...........

You’re still forgetting what I said in my first post though.

The best thing is to grab a few when they’re on offer just to avoid being had over a barrel when you’re desperate.

Kenco Rich is also my preferred drink so that’s why I’ve noticed these fluctuations but I was also caught out recently and had to buy Nescafé Gold Intense instead. This was also on offer at £4 and is equally as good.

Unfortunately I’ve not seen any more at such a low price yet but I’ve a feeling it will be following a similar regime.

i drank lavazza prontissimo when i was drinking coffee. 

price was 6.99 a tin.

but, 3.49 half price offers float from supervalu to dunnes to tesco on about a 4 month cycle. i never once paid full price.. i stocked up where it was on offer

• Like 1

On 11/09/2020 at 12:07, mac11irl said:

Also...

i seem to recall last year there was a genuine concern about coffee supplies before covid was even noticed in China. 

climate change driven issues and arabica coffee plants being a bit of a diva regarding growing conditions was going to lead to a poorer harvest than expected thus less product available for consumption equal price hike..

It's extraordinary that people still fall for the endless stream of fake news climate change propaganda.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4362237-world-coffee-production-stays-ample-in-2019-20

Nearly every week the BBC etc. claims some or other crop or luxury will get more expensive or difficult to get because 'climate change'.

And yet, despite obvious inter-annual variability, the size of the global harvest of nearly every crop you can think of rises relentlessly, not only that, but yields too, so less land is required. 

A few days ago the BBC was blaming climate change for a poor UK wheat harvest (yields are actually pretty average but less land was used because of the wet planting time, and other crops substituted). They said the price of bread/flour would go up - but bread wheat prices are controlled by the global market, and despite widespread (but not particularly unusual) squall damage in the USA , you guessed it, globally things are more than dandy. In fact total grain production is expected to be another record.

https://www.igc.int/en/gmr_summary.aspx

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, john999boy said:

You’re still forgetting what I said in my first post though.

No, I'm not though......

Maybe you're forgetting what I put in my second post John.............. I was serious.

How can £6 be the normal non rip off price when Asda, Iceland and even the Co-Op are selling it for £4 non discounted price.

Sainsburys has slightly inflated it to £5 and Waitrose has inflated the price just to discount it to make it look cheaper than they want you to think it should be.

I stand by what I say.............. rip off pricing.

I do (sensibly) only purchase it when it is at the lower price, but that was not what the posting was about.....

About prices being up and down like a jack in a box........ its unnecessary imo.

Cheers

• Like 1

Supermarkets will always want to entice customers with offers and by having different ones, people will keep returning to see what they are.
Another personal example is porridge. I prefer Scott’s Old Fashioned Porage Oats which are normally £2 at my local Sainsburys. However they never seem to put them on the 2 for £3 offer which is available elsewhere - again on a rolling cycle but with what seems to be a longer duration.

The moral of the story is to cannily buy and be supermarket agnostic. That way you are ‘playing’ them as much as they are ‘playing’ you..:thumbup:

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

The moral of the story is to cannily buy and be supermarket agnostic. That way you are ‘playing’ them as much as they are ‘playing’ you..:thumbup:

I never pay full price for my shower gel, the 'official' price is £3 for 500ml or £2 for 250ml - in the last 15 years I have NEVER paid more than £2 for 500ml or £1 for 250ml by buying in bulk when the supermarket I happen to be in is having it's turn at offering the discounted price.

It seems so obvious to me that the manufacturers and retailers ARE operating an organised price fixing arrangement (call it a cartel if you like), yet they are so clever at hiding it from the regulators that when investigated insufficient proof is found that they are price fixing.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 3

Guest BigJase88
1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

I never pay full price for my shower gel, the 'official' price is £3 for 500ml or £2 for 250ml - in the last 15 years I have NEVER paid more than £2 for 500ml or £1 for 250ml by buying in bulk when the supermarket I happen to be in is having it's turn at offering the discounted price.

It seems so obvious to me that the manufacturers and retailers ARE operating an organised price fixing arrangement (call it a cartel if you like), yet they are so clever at hiding it from the regulators that when investigated insufficient proof is found that they are price fixing.

I buy Aldi shower gel 79p or summit

does the job, also £1 aldi anti perspirant, stuff the £3.50 sure job

'I am a bargain shopper, i shop many a day'.   

try,

To the tune of 'I have a brand new combine harvester!.

Scotmid- coop's,   

much cheapness i have found to my delight. 

Many a sweetie or snack at bargain prices and even some proper food as well.

My particular favourite is near to Ratho Travel Lodge which is handy for Edinburgh Airport.

People abroad love a wee Scottish Speciality sweet, or something from Kerr's Bakery as sold in this ScotMid.

Just for the youngsters that have no idea what they have missed by not been born early enough.

20 hours ago, mac11irl said:

i drank lavazza prontissimo when i was drinking coffee. 

price was 6.99 a tin.

but, 3.49 half price offers float from supervalu to dunnes to tesco on about a 4 month cycle. i never once paid full price.. i stocked up where it was on offer

I used to do the same with Nescafe Azera Americano. There'd always be some supermarket or other with it on offer via 3 for 2 or 1/2 price. 

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I have eczema so I have to buy the more expensive stuff :blush:

yup. im not quite that bad but...

the dry itching from aldi/lidl/ "discount shop lynx" is just horrendous.

i find the loreal men expert stuff doesnt cause grief. * only bought when on offer. 

19 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

yup. im not quite that bad but...

the dry itching from aldi/lidl/ "discount shop lynx" is just horrendous.

i find the loreal men expert stuff doesnt cause grief. * only bought when on offer. 

Just an FYI in case people were't aware but Axe (as sold in Lidl/ Aldi) is actually the exact same thing as Lynx as sold in the UK/ Ireland. Both are Unilever products but branded differently for different markets.
There's also some other products such as crisps and coffee that are sold by Aldi/ Lidl but aren't actually their own brands and are sold in other supermarkets.
I use the Nivea stuff myself especially for shaving otherwise I get a right rash. 

Guest BigJase88
11 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Just an FYI in case people were't aware but Axe (as sold in Lidl/ Aldi) is actually the exact same thing as Lynx as sold in the UK/ Ireland. Both are Unilever products but branded differently for different markets.
There's also some other products such as crisps and coffee that are sold by Aldi/ Lidl but aren't actually their own brands and are sold in other supermarkets.
I use the Nivea stuff myself especially for shaving otherwise I get a right rash. 

Over the years i have worked in many food production factories.

most of the stuff is the exactly the same

McVities for example at the packing end some goes into McVities packaging and some go into Aldi packaging. All the same.

Coffee - there appears to have been a bit of a coffee shortage for some time which has been exacerbated by Covid. So the fields haven't been tended as much and factories making the instant have probably been shut down. Not a surpriser there would be some increase.

However I've not noticed any real price increases more than normal.

TBH I'm a coffee snob and I'm not. I won't drink instant, I relaly don't like it, I only drink filter or coffee made from an espresso machine. I have a bean to cup machine at home. But I'm not fussy about what beans/ground coffee I use. TBh as long as it says "100% Arabica" it'll be pretty good, you just pick your roast level to what you want after that (the numbers aren't 'strength' btw that's nonsense, it's how dark the roast is). Tesco house blend beans are 100% arabica and pretty good, as are Sainsburys Espresso beans.

Robusta beans in coffee taste dry and papery, you can quickly spot it after you move onto 100% Arabica. But really I don't notice much difference between the posh stuff and supermarket beans.

If you drink coffee a lot at home, treat yourself and get a bean to cup machine in a sale (they're always 50% at some point), you'll thank me.

Itchy skin - My son is very sensitive and prone to skin problems. Fiancee is very good at looking up what to do. Avoid anything that is highly fragranced or adertises that it lathers well. Perfume and the lathering agents are really bad for your skin. If you use sensitive Shower creme rather than gel, they don't foam as much and are much better for you. Most supermarkets have their own version so you don't need the dear stuff.

If your hands are bad I suggest getting handsoap (hard or pump) from Oilatum. We get that for my boy. Normal soap wrecks his hands. Oilatum is not cheap but then what price comfort?

As soom as we deviate from ^ we see problems.