Do I need to change both tyres?

ima

New to me car has one front tyre at 3 mm and the other front is 7mm so seems previous owner had a recent new tyre on one wheel.

I know normally you change both fronts but with the tyre almost new at 7 mm do you think it’s safe to just buy one???

cheers

Cheers both.

I can get the same tyre and all 4 will be the same brand and model so it sounds like that’s fine in the circumstance with so little wear on the other front. 

what's on the spare? if that's the same and nearly new could that go onto the car with the brand new one and the "older" (7mm) new one go into the boot? Then you'd have 2 "new" tyres on together

• Thanks 1

Good idea but it’s a space saver spare so in the end I’ve ordered a new tyre. It’s so close to new I think it’s worth doing. I imagine only 1 mm difference so hopefully it will be fine. 

Good to see someone putting safety before cost. You will be fine with a 7mm tread on one tyre and 8mm on the new tyre.

Provided the new tyre is identical including the load rating.

I know of people who had traction control problems after fitting a new tyre, when the other tyre on the same axle had 5mm tread remaining.

This was with the Kona EV running Nexen tyres.

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough so far I haven’t noticed any handling or traction issues with the tyres as they are with 4mm difference. I wonder how much electronics help these days?

I doubt you would.  

3mm or 7mm isn't going to make any difference on a summer tyre in decent weather.  Hell, a slick would be grippier.

Hell, it won't make much difference in wet weather.  I take my tyres down to 2mm usually and only really notice  difference in the cold wet weather when they approach 2mm.

Not sure what the weather's like more north but I think this morning was only the second time I've had to drive in the rain since April (in fact, the lack of use of the rear wiper keep causing it to misbehave).

Plus the diff will also helping if you did get some slip.