headlight connector problem

Hi all!

I have a big problem about H15 connector inside the right headlight of my Skoda Octavia III Combi 5E5 my16.
The electrical connector and the bulb base are melted. In Skoda say: "you must to buy a complete new headlight" , but it's very expensive.
Is possible to fix it or change only the connector ??
Please help me!

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-23 at 21.30.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-23 at 21.30.58 (1).jpeg

On 24/09/2020 at 09:01, Wino said:

Does that visible Torx-head screw release the connector/bulb mount? If so you might be able to graft in a non-damaged one from a scrapyard car. 

Yes, but I've called more then 30 car wreckers and nobody have damaged headlights for my Skoda, or Golf 7 or Leon.
Do you have one?
Can somebody help me to find this H15 connector ??
Complete headlight cost is over 130€ and it's crazy!
Please help me, thank you!

On 27/09/2020 at 22:30, peter3197 said:

It looks as though there was sparking between the bulb and the connector, the sparking has caused erosion with the attendant heat which has cooked the plastic.

Yes, it's correct!

1 minute ago, Wino said:

No. Sorry.

What about this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224012489303 ?

For Italy, total cost (item+ship) is more then 50€.
I've already buied 2 new lamps (total cost 48€)
If I buy a new aftermarket headlight, the cost is 95€ more or less...
50€ for the connector ONLY, is too expensive!!
But, thank you for your idea!

6 minutes ago, BigBenjo said:

Cheaper than a new headlight, though. Have you checked whether you get all the connectors on a new headlight?  You might get the bare headlight with no connector or mounting.

12 minutes ago, BigBenjo said:

For Italy, total cost (item+ship) is more then 50€.
I've already buied 2 new lamps (total cost 48€)
If I buy a new aftermarket headlight, the cost is 95€ more or less...
But, thank you for your idea!

It doesn't look exactly the same fitting anyway, when I look carefully at your picture and the ones in the link. I think.

22 minutes ago, Wino said:

It doesn't look exactly the same fitting anyway, when I look carefully at your picture and the ones in the link. I think.

Bulb tab slots are not right, are they?

There is a simple fix to this. Fit spade connectors on the wiring loom and plug into the bulb, making sure you get the right one on each. It's a mild bodge but it's only a connector, isn't it. Unless, of course, the connector actually holds the bulb into the headlight. It's not obvious from the instructions in the manual whether it does or not. Having had a look at mine I'm pretty sure the connector does not hold the bulb in, so the bodge should work.

Edited by peter3197
Extra info.

On 01/10/2020 at 10:48, peter3197 said:

There is a simple fix to this. Fit spade connectors on the wiring loom and plug into the bulb, making sure you get the right one on each. It's a mild bodge but it's only a connector, isn't it. Unless, of course, the connector actually holds the bulb into the headlight. It's not obvious from the instructions in the manual whether it does or not. Having had a look at mine I'm pretty sure the connector does not hold the bulb in, so the bodge should work.

I think this is too dangerous, for short circuit and with vibration it can unplug I think.

Just now, BigBenjo said:

I think this is too dangerous, for short circuit and with vibration it can unplug I think.

Not if you use decent spade connectors and tape up each connector. There isn't a great deal of vibration in that area, I have never had spade connectors come off if they were a tight fit to start with. I would do this if I was in your situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peter3197 said:

Not if you use decent spade connectors and tape up each connector. There isn't a great deal of vibration in that area, I have never had spade connectors come off if they were a tight fit to start with. I would do this if I was in your situation.

Are you sure ?
Where can I find good quality spade connectors?
I hate tape ... what do you think about epoxy ?

First step: remove the headlight
Second step: remove H15 connector
Third step: make magic and good luck ....

Good quality spade connectors I cannot help with, but it may be possible to get the connector off without taking the headlight out. If it is anything like the ebay one the connector should slide off the base. Detach the relevant wires from the loom to give a bit of slack, cut the connector off, fit spades to the wires, put a bulb in, connect up, and tape the connections. Epoxy would not be a good idea if you wish to change the bulb in the future.

Well ...
Original connector and spades was broken...
I've buied new universal connectors and now my headlight work perfectly.
Not perfect, but Fixed.
Thanks all!

IMG_20201009_110818.jpg

IMG_20201009_110839.jpg

IMG_20201009_115122.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigBenjo said:

Well ...
Original connector and spades was broken...
I've buied new universal connectors and now my headlight work perfectly.
Not perfect, but Fixed.
Thanks all!

IMG_20201009_110818.jpg

IMG_20201009_110839.jpg

IMG_20201009_115122.jpg

Not perfect, but no one can see it and you have a functional headlight-result. Glad to have been of help.

Edited by peter3197
  • Like 2