tyre profile

have found the tyre options for my 20 inch Extreme alloys so limited and over-priced (here in NZ) - i'm thinking of getting higher profile tyres to broaden my selection. what downsides are there ? not bothered about speedo accuracy, as i'll drive to compensate. am quite happy to sacrifice some handling for improved ride too

@chrisluciofg why when starting a new thread do you never come back and either answer the questions asked in response or even thank the other members for taking the time to help you?

I've yet to read one of your threads where you've ever come back after the opening post. Certainly puts me off making the effort.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisluciofg said:

have found the tyre options for my 20 inch Extreme alloys so limited and over-priced (here in NZ) - i'm thinking of getting higher profile tyres to broaden my selection. what downsides are there ? not bothered about speedo accuracy, as i'll drive to compensate. am quite happy to sacrifice some handling for improved ride too

Rather than 235/45R20, you could fit 235/55R18 tyres with suitable 18" rims.

It looks like the new steel rims from the VW ID.3 electric car would fit. Are you getting that car in NZ?

These have a specification of something like 7.5Jx18 ET50 5/112 57.1 but do check first before making any purchase.

Edited by Carlston

l’m guessing the OP is aiming to change tyres but keep the same wheels.  If so, it needs checking out carefully.  I had a similar idea a few years ago, when I fancied a more comfortable ride on my Saab.  When I asked the local tyre company (in the UK), they said they would flatly refuse to do it.

i’m guessing that there’s more to it than speedo calibration:  the centre of mass will be higher, the brakes slightly less effective (and therefore permissible maximum load and trailer weights reduced) and so on.  It’s certainly the sort of modification which would need to be reported to, and agreed by, the insurers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

l’m guessing the OP is aiming to change tyres but keep the same wheels.  If so, it needs checking out carefully.  I had a similar idea a few years ago, when I fancied a more comfortable ride on my Saab.  When I asked the local tyre company (in the UK), they said they would flatly refuse to do it.

i’m guessing that there’s more to it than speedo calibration:  the centre of mass will be higher, the brakes slightly less effective (and therefore permissible maximum load and trailer weights reduced) and so on.  It’s certainly the sort of modification which would need to be reported to, and agreed by, the insurers.

Yep. Cheaping out on non-OEM spec tyre fitment isn’t worth it if you have to explain to your insurer that you haven’t fit the correct tyre size because you wanted to save money and them telling you that your claim is denied...

• Like 1

I've 'garaged' my original 19-inch wheels with 50-section tyres, and opted for 17-inch wheels with 65-section tyres, conforms to Skoda's approved list of wheel/tyre combinations and gives much more choice of all-season tyres. Potholes round here destroy low-profile wheels and tyres, bonus is I get a more compliant ride with significantly reduced road noise.

9 hours ago, chrisluciofg said:

thanks for the input, all. guess i'll have to bite the NZD 2400 bullet with PS 4. much better tyre selection for 19' Vegas in NZ, @ZacDaMan72 ?

Could wait till they do the buy 3 get one free deals. That's what I did with my Golf R and PS4's.

How many Kms are you on the originals, Perellis?

9 hours ago, snala said:

Could wait till they do the buy 3 get one free deals. That's what I did with my Golf R and PS4's.

I already linked him the Pirellis earlier in the thread for $1740/set which I really rate but he’s either not seen it or he’s a tyre snob that’s too cheap to get an OEM tyre size

15 hours ago, snala said:

3 for 1 unlikely at present, as Michelin are having supply issues for that size. originals are Contis done 30,000 km 

6 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

I already linked him the Pirellis earlier in the thread for $1740/set which I really rate but he’s either not seen it or he’s a tyre snob that’s too cheap to get an OEM tyre size

i had Pirelli Cinturatos before, PS 4 were an instant NVR upgrade. plus, reviews aren't stellar - https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/Scorpion-Verde.htm . i don't mind hearing your comparison, though. current choice boils down to $1700 Pirellis or $2400 PS 4

I've got Conti's on my Sportline... front's replaced at just over 40,000km... rears still have at least a year or so left in them I'd say... think they were $600ish each.   There will be supply issues on most tyres soon down here (if not already) as shipping space is scarce currently.

• Like 1

Just now, vRSNZ said:

I've got Conti's on my Sportline... front's replaced at just over 40,000km... rears still have at least a year or so left in them I'd say... think they were $600ish each.   There will be supply issues on most tyres soon down here (if not already) as shipping space is scarce currently.

did you rotate over the course of 40,000 km ? i've been told that Contis were designed for smooth autobahns, and thus get shredded by Nz's coarse chip

19 minutes ago, chrisluciofg said:

did you rotate over the course of 40,000 km ? i've been told that Contis were designed for smooth autobahns, and thus get shredded by Nz's coarse chip

Nope.  Pretty sure the dealer over the course of 2 years & servicing didn't either.  I know I should have... but... well... I didn't. 

My Scorpions on 15000kms at the moment and haven't worn off any of the lines (Sipes) at all at either end of the car. I.e. I could rotate but there is no difference between them currently in wear so will wait till 20kms. In sport DCC mode on twisty fast roads they grip well and don't seem to roll in the sidewall at all so impressed, I run them at 40PSI. I'd probably go these again as designed for multi-traction surfaces on SUVs' vs a summer performance tyre option, based on where I live.

Had the Conti 5s on my Golf R and they lasted to around 40kms but lost one due to multiple punctures so replaced with PS4s. The Michelins were quieter and slightly more direct steering on that car.