How To - Reverse Camera Fitting Guide

weyland

• 2 weeks later...

Have you got it through the rubber gator? If so you need a thick wire or rod to push it up the side - you can then grab it half way up by the heated rear screen harness, pull the wire all the way up, then feed it through to the bootlid.

Getting it though the gator can be tricky, again a rod and patience is the key :thumbup:

Edited by weyland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Embarrassingly, at that point I hadn't read your guide properly and hadn't removed the vertical window trim piece (mines an estate). This was a pain to remove due to one little plastic plug holding it on at the end. Anyway, removed it and did as you said using the blue wire from a piece of twin and earth. Job done 👍 I routed the cable as langers2k suggested which worked well for me. 

Another suggestion for forcing it though the gator - a tiny bit of washing up liquid to make it more slippery 😁

Thanks again for taking the time to post the guide. This will make hitching up the caravan much easier! 

On 11/10/2020 at 08:31, weyland said:

@mfizz This camera is plug and play, I think the harness has a big part to play in that. The media unit instantly recognised the camera and it worked straight away :thumbup:

Hi @weyland

Just by chance, have you a clear image of the rear of the camera you fitted?

I ordered one from the link you provided, however the camera I received is not quite the same as the camera in their description.

I think it's just a slight product modification, but I'm wondering if your camera is the same as mine, or subtly different.

Here's what I mean.

The three cameras possible to be ordered are A/B/C taken from the AliExpress link. (I've ignored camera C as it's clearly completely different.)

image.thumb.png.5f5036fee03f8289b5c523530bbcabd3.pngimage.thumb.png.5cb67831aeb269edefdcc05487526abe.png

And here's what they sent.

image.thumb.png.1c1d32fd0447adadb84f6b3c384570ed.pngimage.thumb.png.a7960bd71cf0af1f96734940156b9b02.png

The profile and dimensions of the camera (the important stuff) match Camera A. However the back wiring image seems to match Camera B.

It's not an issue, but it did cause a minor "Awwww Hell!" moment when I first looked at the camera. :D

I'm wondering if there are a few different suppliers of this camera, and they just send what they have, so long as it works and fits.

From the other side, my camera appears to be the same as yours, so I guess it's just a slight difference between their product image and what they actually send.

Thanks. :)

@EnterName - I wouldn't worry. They've probably got a few suppliers for the camera unit but as long as the handle is the correct shape, I'm sure it's fine.

In other news, I've calibrated the highline camera (not required for the aftermarket Chinese kits).

I initially tried to use VCDS but none of the security codes worked which appears to be normal with the newer cameras. Instead, I got my trusty VAS5054a out and found a copy of ODIS service v5 online.

You'll need a VAS6350 calibration targ et, the dimensions are online so I made a an SVG file and then converted it to a 300dpi 1900x700mm PNG. The forum software doesn't seem to like the PNG for some reason so I've zipped it: vas6350.zip

I had the PNG printed locally for under £7 (190x70cm) but you can also play the cutting and sticking game with A4 if you prefer. The VAS6350 needs to be placed correctly on level ground, it seems like there are a few methods but I did the following.

Find and mark the centreline of the rear wheels:

PXL_20201020_115904252.thumb.jpg.12a5a286d27b69e86122510938f077fd.jpg

Find the centreline of the car, I guessed this based on the roof antenna and rear badge:

PXL_20201020_121205370.thumb.jpg.08a614d3c12dbc1b8c8de8d50bf6393f.jpg

Place the VAS6350 on the car centreline and measure 1700mm from each rear wheel centreline and the first black bar:

PXL_20201020_121144557.thumb.jpg.503848aa1b342979d51d977dffddb539.jpg

Fire up ODIS and use the guided function finding. It should spot the not calibrated fault code and walk you through the procedure.

Make sure the camera is activated and at some point, it should ask for the distance to the target, target height and the camera height, in my case I think I used 1700mm, 1mm and 890mm. The RVC image will go a bit weird and 30 seconds later, it's all calibrated and no fault codes.

Final picture of a very untidy garage:

PXL_20201020_122917270.thumb.jpg.43de0e7179b1a4f39666749bbfcfcb08.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, EnterName said:

Hi @weyland

Just by chance, have you a clear image of the rear of the camera you fitted?

I ordered one from the link you provided, however the camera I received is not quite the same as the camera in their description.

And here's what they sent.

image.thumb.png.1c1d32fd0447adadb84f6b3c384570ed.png

The profile and dimensions of the camera (the important stuff) match Camera A. However the back wiring image seems to match Camera B.

Hi, I wouldn't worry - your current boot release harness will plug into the block in the middle to provide the normal function, and the wire on the left with the purple connector is the only one you need to feed to the front and into the replacement media unit harness to provide all of the reverse camera functionality :thumbup:

Edited by weyland
  • Like 3

Thank you all, mine is now fitted.

About 3 hours, less if you subtract the time spent staring at it and swearing!

Things I have learned:

On an estate you do have to take lower door trim off, but not necessarily the upper one;

Some of that plastic coated spring which is designed to hold net curtains is fantastic for feeding through the wire;

Go shopping before you start, not halfway through.

:biggrin:

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 16:53, Scallystev said:

Thank you all, mine is now fitted.

About 3 hours, less if you subtract the time spent staring at it and swearing!

Things I have learned:

On an estate you do have to take lower door trim off, but not necessarily the upper one;

Some of that plastic coated spring which is designed to hold net curtains is fantastic for feeding through the wire;

Go shopping before you start, not halfway through.

:biggrin:

Steve

Just Saved me about a tenner thanks :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the guide, this hadn't even crossed my mind as something I could do but it's something I'm gonna :)

Will wait until picking up on Saturday just on the off chance it already has the reversing cam, (I don't think it does but I've not seen the car in person)

Does anyone know what the stock is usually like on Ali Express? Currently non to ship from Czech Republic but do have them from china. Would prefer from Cz purely due to shipping time.

Cheers

Alan

Get it from China, it'll be fine -  It will take 7-14 days. I'm unsure why they have different warehouses for certain things as you're essentially ordering Chinese made goods, direct from China which is why everything is so cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and you're more than capable of doing it. It's the thought of it that puts most people off - once you get stuck in it's quite straight forward, just take your time :thumbup:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, weyland said:

Get it from China, it'll be fine -  It will take 7-14 days. I'm unsure why they have different warehouses for certain things as you're essentially ordering Chinese made goods, direct from China which is why everything is so cheap.

More and more of the production is shipped to EU warehouses ordered by the reseller once you click "buy it now" and dropshipped directly to you, the manufacturer sends out pallets & containers at a time & doesn't get involved in small orders, the reseller never physically sees or touches the goods.

That said for smaller items ordered from EU warehouses they often still come direct from China because of the subsidised shipping rates but they are probably held at a dropshipping warehouse there.

There are also re-distributeurs (there is probably a correct term for it) that recieve large parcels from manufacturers, an example might be the glasses you buy on line from a seemingly UK or EU company that is no more than a website, they are made in the factory in Pakistan or wherever and shipped in bulk orders to the redistribution company who then send them out by the postal service.

And then you get Amazon doing all of the above for sellers not even on their platform, I have bought security cameras from Ebay supposedly in stock from a French seller which were sent from China to Amazon France who put the original box inside one of theirs with the Amazon smiley logo with loads of paper filing and then delivered it to me.

I have bought 2 dashcams from Ali-express and they arrive withing 10 days.

13 hours ago, weyland said:

Oh, and you're more than capable of doing it. It's the thought of it that puts most people off - once you get stuck in it's quite straight forward, just take your time :thumbup:

Just to triple check before I order (found a photo of the car in reverse and it doesn't have cam), its the MBQ Wire + Camera A version I need isn't it? To be clear it's a 68 plate VRS hatch :)

Guidance appreciated :)

Facelift cars take camera A, if it's the harness shown in my pics (piggy back) it'll be fine. You should also get the stereo removal tools to release the media unit inside the glovebox

4 minutes ago, weyland said:

Facelift cars take camera A, if it's the harness shown in my pics (piggy back) it'll be fine. You should also get the stereo removal tools to release the media unit inside the glovebox

Great thank you. Ordering now :)