How To - Reverse Camera Fitting Guide

weyland

On 02/12/2020 at 10:59, weyland said:

Facelift cars take camera A, if it's the harness shown in my pics (piggy back) it'll be fine. You should also get the stereo removal tools to release the media unit inside the glovebox

Hello, 

Unit arrived today amazing service :)

So I set to work testing the kit was the correct one, quickly dismantled the glove box and lower dash (glove box surround).... Where I failed (and I now think I know how) was finding where the harness plugged into and what it plugged into...

I had assumed it went into the back of the screen somewhere and was struggling to get to it, that's what I thought the removal keys were for?

Am I now right in thinking the harness plugs into the actual media unit (CD SD player)? and if it is is the block of wires at the back right (if I was looking at the unit head on) the bit I need to remove? Does the whole block come out of the unit or a number of seperate bits?

Sorry for been a bit useless haha.

Cheers

Alan

@jazzmag2k - yes, the camera connects to the rear of the media unit above the glovebox. The display is only a display ;)

The quadlock comes out as one connector once it's unlatched. The fakra connectors are separate but you'll only need to disconnect them if the media unit needs to come fully out :)

3 minutes ago, langers2k said:

@jazzmag2k - yes, the camera connects to the rear of the media unit above the glovebox. The display is only a display ;)

The quadlock comes out as one connector once it's unlatched. The fakra connectors are separate but you'll only need to disconnect them if the media unit needs to come fully out :)

Thank you!! I'm such a bellend, I'd have had it finished now had not spat my dummy out :)

Easier than I thought then. I say that now but when I'm swearing at the trim tomorrow I might not think that ha.

Thank You again

So I cocked up and removed the airbag switch connector... my recommendation is Do Not Do That :)

Everything removed and airbag error reset.

however... im back to standard and I keep getting the error "park pilot not currently available" and when I reverse there's a delay on the screen and I then have to touch the screen to get the normal reverse sensor warnings up... its as if adding a cam then removing it has confused it into thinking there's still a camera attached. Any way of resetting that?

Hoping when I reconnect the camera it sorts out the park pilot not available issue.

1 minute ago, langers2k said:

If you've coded the camera in and removed it, that could cause issues. If you post an autoscan from VCDS or similar it might give us some ideas :)

It's the plug and play version so I'm sure its had the same effect. That gives me some confidence its not completely buggered.

All sorted. Just got back home. Reconnected it all and it works fine.... although the camera is currently in the glovebox 🤣🤣🤣

Boot end and wiring tomorrow all been (being? Never sure)well. 

Thanks for all your help!!

Successfully fit the ug in and play unit this morning.

Here are my tips from a complete amateur point of view..

Start front end to back. 

DO NOT Disconnect the airbag switch if you take out the glovebox surround, guide says be careful too but don't be like me and just discon it.

Test the camera at the front end before removing the boot trim.

Cheap trim removal tools will suffice and you will need some sort of cable rod for pushing the cable through into the boot. I used net curtain wire for this.

Once tested remove boot trim.

When you get to the boot along the roof you will need WD40 to push the cable through the rubber trunking. I tried for ages without and it wasn't budging.

Hope my failures help someone. 

Brilliant guide thank you.

Alan

• Like 2

@weyland hello

verry good presentation, but i have some problem......

i have after market android system and after market rear camera.

I have skoda octavia MK3 from 2016 septermber....

My reara camera is

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829843942.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dskMovg

So can help me where find signal for connect one fo blue wire?

in front in card board can find or only light in back of my car?

sorry for my poor English.

rear camera wiring_01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ha - there's a good chance of that happening :biggrin:

My only concern was if the stock handle and latch had any relationship with the powered opening and closing switch and so installing one without this might cause the powered boot to not work. If they're two separate wiring systems then I assume this wouldn't be the case?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2021 at 11:07, Vahids said:

Thanks for the great guide @weyland

I am going to try it.

Has anyone tried on 2013 Elegance with stock infotainment? 

Nah that can't be right. 70% of Ali express stuff comes direct from china and some from warehouses in EU. Surely we can still get things?