Nurburgring Trip 18th-21st August '06

WrightyRS

Hiya everyone,

I'm heading to the Ring for this weekend with a few friends already but thought i would open the offer out for anyone who's never been before or experienced Ringers would like to come along.

i have choosen this weekend as i went last year and the circuit was really quiet due to the German DTM race in taking place at the GP circuit.

I'll be going over on the Friday morning and getting coming home late Monday afternoon.

Am hopefully staying in this hotel

www.hotel-ruland.de

they have rooms available.

as all hotels in Nurburg are full already due to the DTM race.

i stayed at this hotel last year and its approx 25Km from the ring which means your car is all warmed up when you arrive for some laps.

And the food was very good,fantastic steaks!!!

if you fancy this then let me know and we'll try and all get the same tunnel crossing etc.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i may be interested in this trip , can you give me some idea of costs of trains , hotels etc , was going to go last year but friends i was going with didn't get round to organising themselves

Rough costs based on my past experience, assuming based just north of london and using a petrol car.

Fuel, 1 - 1.5 tanks each way. So 3 in total to get there and back,

Ferry crossings vary depending on route taken (£50-£200 return)

Hotel, vary from €25 for a single room to €70+ per night B&B,

Evening meals around €30 Per person per night.

Lap tickets, a 12 lap ticket is around £100 or each lap is about £10.

When on track, the Octy vRS will do the giddy heights of 8-15 MPG, so keep in mind that every 5 laps you need to fill up again. The Fabia vRS is around 20-25MPG. Petrol prices were €1.32 a litre for 95ron easter weekend. The ring is surprisingly kind to tyres, so you shouldnt have any problems.

Thats the basic costs, the drive from Calais to the ring takes around 4 hrs or more depending on route/traffic.

Jason, if you are contemplating going you are going to have to do something with the loud exhaust. You will be turned back from the barriers, and they now use spotters at random on the trackside with monitoring equipment. The limit for 2006 is 95db.

Jason, if you are contemplating going you are going to have to do something with the loud exhaust. You will be turned back from the barriers, and they now use spotters at random on the trackside with monitoring equipment. The limit for 2006 is 95db.

I'm not up to that yet. :)

As I've already said to you Alex, I'm definatly up for it

:cool: I'll let everyone know what the hotel says, when they respond to my enquiry. Anyone know what the ferry typically costs for an open return? I don't mind unsociable hours - I do mine expensive fares (rather spend it on laps of the Ring)

Hello all. I'm going this month for 5 days. 24th-28th. Can't wait. Will try and get some pics. Taking 03 Leon110se diesel as my Octy 2.0tdi dsg est. is a company car so may get in trouble if it gets binned! Shame, its pretty well suited I think. Went last year and found that learning the track on GT4 was priceless. Lost count of the number of 911's we passed.

Booked on speedferries and got 46 quid return.

Got it down to £74 with unsociable hours. :rolleyes:

Whats the usual itinerary for leaving UK, returning to the UK? I assume the 18th and 21st are just reserved for travelling? and the two days inbetween are for fun? :D Or sometimes are there sneaky last day laps put in? ;)

Even for what I would think are normal hours, £100 is roughly the cost. (eg leave Dover at 2pm, leave Bolougne at 1.25pm on way back)

Sounds like a good idea, only one problem. Me from Scotland, so i have to leave a day earlier and get back a day later. I am sure i have still got some holidays to take though. Would this be organised as a group event or will it just be everyone to their own??

Sounds like a good idea, only one problem. Me from Scotland, so i have to leave a day earlier and get back a day later. I am sure i have still got some holidays to take though. Would this be organised as a group event or will it just be everyone to their own??

Its a group event, but with everyone making their own arrangements based on what everyone else is doing

i.e. in theory it would be nice, socially, for everyone to be booked into the hotel above as it could mean plenty of dunkles bier could be consumed in the evenings. :dtp: Likewise for ferries - everyone books same time, so we can convoy. I'm already planning on uploading EU maps to my sat nav. :D

Check the Ben Lovejoy website for directions from Calais. Used it last year to great effect. French and Belgian police now very strict so you have to be carefull!

Well we will be there in time on the Friday for a couple of laps before heading off to the hotel.

And yes it would be good if we we're all in the same Hotel but it not essential so don't feel bound to it if you want to make alternate plans.

so we'd be looking at around a 10am.11am ferry across? Or even earlier? I have to calculate in a 5 hour+ drive from Devon as well, but should be able to get there on one tank. :)

I'll be looking to book a 7:58am tunnel crossing which means arriving in Calais at 9:30am approx.

As you have to take the ferry we could meet you at the first service area on the road into Belgium.

But i'm sure you could get your car on the tunnel,you don't have to go onto the upper deck,you can say to the loader that you have to go on the bottom level or do what Clarkson does on Top Gear and go through the increased high section to where the lorries get on the trains.

I have requested a reservation for rooms at the Hotel so am awaiting to hear back.

Has anyone else done this yet?

I sent an email in my best German about 3 days ago... :o Not heard back yet though. Furchtbar. :D

Well, if no-one else is using the ferry, I'm happy to meet on the main road into Belgium. I'm pretty sure that that was the first thing you come across when leaving on the eurotunnel, but not so sure on the ferry (never done that :)) Quite tempted to go really late on the Thursday night and kip over in that services / on the ferry.

And if I'm using the cheaper ferry to Bolougne, I'll have an extra bit to drive up to Calais.