Front Hubs replaced now have a camshat sensor fault?????

Manichol

Last week my local mechanic replaced my rear hubs but coudnt repace the fronts due to not having the VAG bearing tool.

Once the toolarrived the bearings were changed but with some difficulty.

after replacement, on starting the car, it was missfiring, the traction control light and MIL light illuminated along with the ESP light.

OBD code indicated that the camshaft sensor was at fault.

I've replaced the camshaft sensor (030907601E) with a cheapone from the internet but made no difference.

I have searched the forum but could't find anything.

Has anyone had this issue before?

I run a Feb 2014 on a 63plate 1.2 Skida Fabia 6 valve

Enging code CGPB

TIA

Issues have got worse now, keep getting engine management light on with traction control warning. Revs won't go above 4000 rpm, idle is lumpy, misfire and it is difficult to start.

OBD pointed to a camshaft sensor fault. Replaced with genuine VAG part but still showing same fault.

Any help would be appreciated as I use the car for transport to work as ambulance crew (60 miles round trip) 

CGPB is a 12-valve engine I believe.  How many miles has it done? Has it been serviced regularly?

What was/is the exact fault code number?

Why were all these bearings being changed?

The mechanic that did the bearing replacements really needs to get this car back and fix it at their expense, giving you a loan car until that's done. 

If that's not going to happen, then at the very least they should be doing or paying for a full scan of all modules to see what's going on with the car.

It sounds almost as though the chain timing has been accidentally compromised.  Do you have a few tools and willingness to check this yourself?, I can walk you through that.

Traction control fault after getting hubs swopped over sounds a lot like an ABS issue, ie a hub without the ABS  ring in it or the hub replacement ended up messing up exactly where the ABS ring is now wrt the ABS sensor, a full car scan would inform you about any of that being an issue as.

Edit:- also give the brake lights a check to make sure that they are all working as that can or used to cause some faults to appear, an outside shot but free and easy to carry out.

Edited by rum4mo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same fault here, ESP and short while after MIL after my engine was turned backwards. Check the Timing, 99% its of by at least 20degrees.

The camshaft sensor is working as it should and indicating that the camshaft is out of sync(timing error).

I am now checking with the Garage if it is worth fixing..labor is not cheap i  Sweden.

P0341 Error code for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk4aNvPukbE

On 13/12/2020 at 14:46, grumpy1 said:

While changing front wheel bearings it's quite possible that he's turned the engine backwards causing the timing chain to jump a tooth.

Is that based on the scenario where the mechanic would have had the one wheel off the ground & put the car in gear to lock the driveshaft to undo the hubnut?

I do have some sympathy with a mechanic finding out the hard way that he should no longer use one of his reflex techniques that has been used by all mechanics since the first vehicles.

Especially if he was helping out a friend or a neighbour who said "I can manage to undo this hub nut!" :sadsmile:

Don't see a problem undoing the CV bolt, put a large screwdriver or steel rod through the aperture in the brake caliper into the vented disc end-on to lock the shaft, then release the bolt with steady pressure from a 3 foot bar or 1m if you are so inclined ;@)

• Like 1

It's a nut rather than a bolt here, but yeah, that's my favoured technique too.

Edit: not a bad idea to put a couple of custom-shortened wheel bolts through brake disc into hub before doing this, otherwise the M6 brake disc retaining screw takes all the torque of the undoing or tightening, and may bend a tad.

Funnily enough ( see below post) I did a major overhaul of out HTP in August and after stripping the engine down to virtually bare block, the only fault turned out to be the clutch (d'oh!)

Chain was barely visibly different to the new genuine replacement at 175k miles. Maybe 3mm elongation, if that.

20200805_140300.jpg

Edited by Wino

I overhauled my sons 1.2 12v polo, replaced timing chain and guides, new valve guides and seals, recut seats and ground in valves - after 120K miles, chain was stretched about one link and chain and valve guides very worn, runs superbly now !

I understand these are prone to chain wear.