Any advice on buying a 2018 Sportline 2.0L 220 ?

I'm looking at a 2018 Superb Sportline.  It's got a 2.0L TSI engine, 220BHP, and 6 speed automatic gearbox, and 23000 miles on the clock.  2 previous owners.

As title, just looking for any tips on what to look for, or anything particular problematic regarding this specific year/engine ?

Obviously I understand all cars can have problems, but, any particular horror stories I need to be wary of on this one?

Just thought I'd check with the wealth of experience on this forum :)

Many thanks

Make sure it has good quality tyres fitted because this engine with front wheel drive will spin the tyres pulling away in 1st gear on even a dry surface but had water on the road or icy conditions and you will be sitting at the lights simply doing a burn out like a 500bhp Ford Mustang.

• Like 1

Welcome.  Your engine is a petrol 2.0 TSI engine - which is 220bhp form is the unit used on the Octavia VRS's as well as on the Superb's. 

Nothing particular comes to mind:

1) Check the state of the oil.  Should have been done at 18k ish.  Ask the dealer for the service history.

2) I am surprised you've only got a 6 speed Auto DSG - are you sure you don't have the DQ381 7 speed DSG? - either variants are generally bulletproof.  If you want to be super happy, get a gearbox oil change done [normally done at 40k for the 6 speed DSG's].  That will give you peace of mind. 

• Like 1

Thanks for fast replies.

I'm only looking at it at the moment, but the website says it's a 6-speed.  And that there was a service at 16703 miles on 6th Jan 2020 - could have been it's one and only service, I'm not sure.

29 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

this engine ...... will spin the tyres pulling away in 1st gear on even a dry surface but had water on the road or icy conditions and you will be sitting at the lights simply doing a burn out like a 500bhp Ford Mustang.

Gulp...really?  I'm used to flooring it to pull away at a roundabout sharpish.  Is that difficult to do with this engine?  

20 minutes ago, freelunch said:

220 is plenty, unless you absolutely need 4WD. I'd be more worried about two owners in two years.

That ran through my head as well. 1st owner, dealer perhaps (demo) but why has the second owner punted it on. Could be nothing, could be something. 

Yeah....I did wonder.  I'll ask who previous owners were.  Could be a million reasons why I guess, but you have to wonder why 2 people would get rid of a car in such a short space of time.

55 minutes ago, gsf600y said:

Yeah....I did wonder.  I'll ask who previous owners were.  Could be a million reasons why I guess, but you have to wonder why 2 people would get rid of a car in such a short space of time.

Probably a pre-registered car hence the 2 owners? If that's the case not so much to worry about.

I’m the 3rd owner of my GTI, but it had done twenty four miles when I bought it. First two owners were VW and VWFS.

I have the 2.0 TSI and six speed DQ250 DSG in this and the vRS I had before the GTI, and I think they're well suited to one another.  There's no need to spin the wheels, unless you really want to.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz_

2 hours ago, gsf600y said:

I bought the dealer's demo with 1,700 miles on it. It's been a great car. 

6 hours ago, gsf600y said:

Ha! 😀 I feel like 220 is going a bit nuts.  280 would be insane. 

As shy mentioned earlier the Haldex allows seamless power delivery even on damp and slippy roads.

I would say this .... Take a 220 for a test drive on a wet day and on an empty traffic island make a spirited getaway like we all do from time to time .... Then test drive a 272 / 280 and do the same test......

• Like 1

I have spun the front tyres on my 150PS diesel twice in 1st gear whilst pulling onto a busy roundabout when I forget I haven't got 4WD grip anymore but 60mpg is the upside and my licence is still without any points as well so all good really. Oh and it has the DSG gearbox.

• Like 1

So car was originally registered July 2018.

Current owner registered it in July 2019

"V5C issue date" March 2020.   Not sure what that means?  Surely it can't have taken 7 months to update the keeper details from July 2019?

It hasn't had tax since July 2020....I guess it's been awaiting sale since then perhaps, or just taken off the road due to furlough/corona virus.

EDIT:  Just had this information back too:

"We can only provide information on who the previous owner was, and I can see it was Enterprise Ren-a-car, therefore this vehicle has been a rental vehicle".

Hmmm....a 220 BHP rental car.  That'll have been run in well, and treated nicely then.......NOT.  Think I'll give this particular one a miss and keep looking :)

Edited by gsf600y
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, gsf600y said:

Hmmm....a 220 BHP rental car.  That'll have been run in well, and treated nicely then.......NOT.  Think I'll give this particular one a miss and keep looking :)

Agree - too much risk; One to walk away from.  The right one'll come along :nod:

Gaz

On 31/12/2020 at 19:57, KeteCantek said:

You'll find another. I considered the 220 before I realised there is a 280 version. 

The rest is history.  

Agreed.

280/272 is way to go if you want a petrol & don't plan to do mega mileage - life's too short!

My 280 L&K is the first 4WD car I've had & is so planted. Even now with 360bhp I can't spin the wheels in the dry & even in the wet it's nigh on impossible to loose traction if you have to drive "smartly". Only downside is the fuel consumption & the fact that it drinks from the 99RON pump. What the hell, I'm not doing much mileage at present & fuel prices are the lowest they've been for a while. The grin factor is worth it.

• Like 3

Yeah, I get why people like the 280.  But I'm such a tight arse, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it knowing the fuel economy was so low :D 

I'd be happy with the 150, and I see there's a 190 too.  The 220 would be me having a mad moment and going nuts :D

I very nearly bought a 150 yesterday, until I realised there was no rear-wiper on the car.  Again, I know it's personal choice, but it would personally drive me mad not having one.

There are a few about, they're just either white, or no rear-wiper, or ex-hire cars, etc, etc.

The search continues.....

55 minutes ago, gsf600y said:

Yeah, I get why people like the 280.  But I'm such a tight arse, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it knowing the fuel economy was so low :D 

I'd be happy with the 150, and I see there's a 190 too.  The 220 would be me having a mad moment and going nuts :D

I very nearly bought a 150 yesterday, until I realised there was no rear-wiper on the car.  Again, I know it's personal choice, but it would personally drive me mad not having one.

There are a few about, they're just either white, or no rear-wiper, or ex-hire cars, etc, etc.

The search continues.....

If you want economy, the 190 is the way to go while preserving a bit of performance. It has the budack cycle engine which gives good efficiency. 

I looked at AT prices and 220s are quite close to 280s so more the reason to go full whack as long as budget allows. 

Forget about the 1.4 versions as the gearbox is chocolate. 1.5 versions probably quite new same as the 190 2.0, not sure how prices compares to a 220. 

Rear wiper is an option at no cost if I am not mistaken for the hatch but not everyone takes it I guess.