Ride Quality - 18” and 17” wheels.

Expatman

I currently drive a Yeti SEL Drive but with 16” wheels as I need a gentler ride for my wife’s back problem. Looking to change the Yeti for a Kamiq and would like advice on ride refinement of the SEL version (18” wheels) compared with other versions with 17”wheels. Road tests seem to say that the ride on the 18” wheels is similar to that on 17” wheels but I would very much welcome the personal experience of owners and those who might have driven Kamiq’s with both 18” and 17” wheels.

I've been a passenger in my dad's Kamiq SEL several times and have found it compliant. I currently drive a SEAT Ateca on 18 inch wheels and the Kamiq is more compliant and comfortable. It had a little more bounce to it, but nothing to be concerned about.

I do have a Kamiq on order and had a test drive in October. It was the SEL I drove and it was fine. I always take test drives that involve speed bumps just to get a feel for the suspension. I make a point to test drive the same wheels wherever possible. It's softer than the Ateca and most reviewers of that car say 18 is the best balance between ride and handling.

3 hours ago, Expatman said:

I currently drive a Yeti SEL Drive but with 16” wheels as I need a gentler ride for my wife’s back problem. Looking to change the Yeti for a Kamiq and would like advice on ride refinement of the SEL version (18” wheels) compared with other versions with 17”wheels. Road tests seem to say that the ride on the 18” wheels is similar to that on 17” wheels but I would very much welcome the personal experience of owners and those who might have driven Kamiq’s with both 18” and 17” wheels.

As your wife has a bad back, I would suggest looking at 15" or 16" wheels, not 17" or 18" wheels.

Tyre reviews tend to be focused on young men driving fast around a race track. I watched one tyre review recently, and they were comparing low profile 17", 18", and 19" tyres and talking about which was best for ride comfort. Yet the race track that they were driving around didn't have any bumps and certainly no potholes. So even the super low profile 19" tyre would have given a smooth ride.

Using 195/65R15 or non-standard 205/55R16 tyres (instead of 205/60R16) will save you money in the long run as these are much less expensive than the other sizes such as 205/60R16, 205/55R17, and 215/45R18.

For best performance (especially in the winter), it's best to change tyres before they have less than 4mm of tread depth remaining. So again, choosing a low cost tyre size is especially useful.

Black Nanuq Alloy Rim 6Jx16 ET35 (weighs 9.4kg)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/kolo-z-lehke-slitiny-nanuq-16-pro-scala-kamiq/p/654071496C+FL8

Silver Nanuq Alloy Rim 6Jx16 ET35 (weighs 9.4kg)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/kolo-z-lehke-slitiny-nanuq-16-pro-scala-kamiq/p/654071496B+8Z8

Steel Rim 6Jx16 ET35 (weighs 7.4kg)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/plechovy-disk-16-/p/2Q0601027H+03C

Notice that the 16" steel rim weighs about 2kg less than the heavy alloy rims. So for best performance, choose steel rims.

It's also quite useful to see what size the spare wheel will be. If you zoom in to the photo in the below link, you can see that the Kamiq might use a 205/55R16 size spare tyre.

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-kompletni-rezervni-kolo-pro-kamiq/p/658093860

The standard 16" alloy rims for the Kamiq use either ET35 or ET38 offsets, whereas the standard 16" steel rims for the Kamiq use either ET35 or ET40 offsets. So if you wanted four alloy rims and a steel spare, a good idea would be to use the ET35 offset for both the 16" alloy rims and the 16" steel rim. This way, all the rims will have the same specification.

Skoda Kamiq 2020 1.0 TSi
 Generation: 2019 .. 2022 
 Market: EUDM 
 Power: 114 hp | 85 kW | 116 PS 
 Engine: CHZD, I3, Petrol
 Options: Active, Ambition, Style
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Torque: 120 Nm
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2019 .. 2020]
Tire 
Rim 
PCD 

205/60R16 6Jx16 ET35 5x100

205/60R16 6Jx16 ET38 5x100

205/55R17 6.5Jx17 ET40 5x100

195/65R15 6Jx15 ET35 5x100

195/60R16 6Jx16 ET35 5x100

215/45R18 7Jx18 ET39 5x100

Edited by Carlston

I had a Seat Ibiza FR before which had 17" wheels.  I was a bit worried about my Kamiq with the 18" wheels but have to say they are quiet and smooth with a much more comfortable ride.  My FR had lowered sports suspension but the kamiq rides so much better.

Thanks guys. I forgot to add that although OEM wheels and tyres on my Yeti are 17” I asked Skoda when I bought it to supply with 16” wheels and they were very good in intercepting the dealer order and instructing the factory to fit 16” wheels. On the Yeti it makes a significant difference to ride comfort but suspension development has come a long way in the 10+ years since the Yeti was developed so maybe not such a difference with the Kamiq - anyone  tried both SEL with 18” wheels and SE with 17” wheels?

@ExpatmanIf it helps you decide, I had a Yeti SE 1.2 DSG (standard 17 inch wheels) for 2 years on a PCH, but now have an Arona, which I have had for 2.5 years.  The Kamiq (which was my ideal size) didn’t exist then, but is basically same car underneath.  The suspension settings might be slightly different but hope this helps anyway.

Arona came with 215/45 R18 wheels with Pirelli P7 summer tyres, and the ride was lot firmer than the Yeti.  It is fine on good surfaces, but this combination is a bit crashy on poor patched up tarmac.

I discovered the P7 tyres are useless in cold weather, on cold mornings they were solid (bit like those old 1920s trucks with solid rubber wheels) until they had warmed up bit after mile or two.  I looked at all season tyres in 215/45 R18 (very limited in 2019, and expensive), but then decided to get winter wheels

So I ordered Borbet Y rims with 205/60 R16 Goodyear Ultragrip 9+ winter tyres (cheaper than the all seasons in the obscure size).  These rims fit with original bolts and no spacers.  Thus can give you a comparison of running 16 inch vs 18 inch (the outside tyre circumference is virtually identical).   Quite simply the 16 inch is way better on poorly maintained tarmac.  Possibly a slight part is due to softer compound of the winter tyres.

Actually the winter tyres are so good, I have been able to drive on winding country roads in recent icy weather as if it is a warm dry summers day.  Grip is that good, and winter tyres more than happy at +15c 

To be honest, if I had a choice from new, I would pick the 16 inch wheel, and fit it with best all season tyres (my choice would be Goodyear vector 4season Generation 3 or Continental all season contact).   The bigger 17 and 18 inch wheels might look more flashy, and allow slightly better turning feedback at steering wheel in a spirited drive, but unless you local road surface is as smooth as a billiard table, the less comfortable ride isn’t worth it (especially if someone in your family has ailing bones).

One final piece of advice, some specs now come with low rolling resistance tyres, these are eco tyres to improve mpg, at the WLTP test temperature of +23c.   These eco summer tyres are hard and useless in cold rain / sleet / slush / snow.   Change them for softer all season tyres if you want comfort.

Edited by SurreyJohn

Surrey John you're spot on 

I have a Kamiq SE on 17 inch wheels, the ride is good but I have noticed that since changing to winters tyres from the originally specced Goodyear efficient grips the ride has improved.

I believe that the Goodyear EGs are a dreadful tyre that is too hard for its own good both in terms of ride quality and grip in colder/wetter conditions. My advice would be to ditch these tyres as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone, my current tyres are Goodyear Vector All Seasons Gen2 and I find they are quiet, comfortable with good grip summer and winter. I would intend to put them on the Kamiq as well.

It sounds like going with 17" wheels is preferable.

• 1 year later...

Hi there.

Did anybody set non original rims with less weight than original Skoda ones? And can share experience.

There is a theory - the less weight of wheel the more comfortable and smoothly drive is.

18" on my Monte Carlo, the ride must be good 'cause my wife doesn't say anything (the seats are super as well)

I can also compliment the handling. Downside, the tyres may be more expensive.

• Like 1

I changed from the standard 18 inch alloys to 17 inch in my Kamiq SEL and there was a marked improvement in ride quality and noise reduction. I am currently in the process of having 16 inch alloys fitted, Dezent TR in black gloss, with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tyres. I'll report back when they are on the car.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, roottoot said:

More rubber with air between road and wheel might be a better theory for just a passenger road car.

You could go lighter wheel in that smaller size and not too reinforced a tyre sidewall.

Yes, You are absolutely right. But I reckon that in each case for 18'', 17'', 16'' wheel height of rubber are fixed (due to producer recommendations).

And tire pressure as well - fixed :)

So it remains to "play" with weight of rim + tire. Original Kamiq rims are beautiful in terms of design, but too heavy IMHO.

• Haha 1

Let's hope the small difference of unsprung weight can help you improve the ride.    Some might change springs / dampers.    The height of the rubber is pretty much fixed.  The outside so the circumference.   The hole in the middle is small if a 16" wheel is in it compared to a 17 or 18" rim.    So the sidewall of the tyre is taller to keep the circumference the same.  You can get more flex tyre dependent.  You might have XL sidewalls on a lower profile tyre, a sportier tyre.    As with a 15" Steel spare wheel has a tyre with more % of a profile to use even if replacing an 18" alloy wheel removed.    Tyre pressures are shown for light load to full load /ECO pressures.    PS.  Look in your owners manual and you will see the wheel size Skoda gives to use if snow chains are used.  

Edited by roottoot

Yes. Tyre height is 97mm - 18 inch wheel, 112mm - 17 inch wheel, 122mm - 16 inch wheel with circumferences of 2042mm, 2065mm and 2050 with tyres specified as 215/45/18, 205/55/17 and 205/60/16. 

• Like 1

Some more inputs.

I have original Castor 16'' rims (9.4kg) + Bridgestone Turanza T005 16'' (8.0kg). And I am planning to change it to 17 or 18 and not loose in ride quality.

And I am trying to find best combination of main factors.

Take a look at such case:

my base 16'' kit 17,4 kg  --> new 17'' kit 16,6 kg (-0,8kg) with AUTEC Wizard 17'' (8.6kg) + Bridgestone Turanza T005 17'' (8.0kg) [yes this tyres has the same weight in both size]

I am wondering will it remains at the same comfort level as I have now 🤔 And is it Ok that AUTEC WIZARD is quite wider than recommendation for 17 rim: J7,5 instead of J6,5?

PS If we compare base 17'' original Kamiq rim (10.0kg) the difference will be more significant: -1,4 kg

PSS Maybe somebody choose AUTEC Wizard 16'' because it weighs only ~7,3 kg (-2,1kg from original)

21 hours ago, cestrian said:

I changed from the standard 18 inch alloys to 17 inch in my Kamiq SEL and there was a marked improvement in ride quality and noise reduction. I am currently in the process of having 16 inch alloys fitted, Dezent TR in black gloss, with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tyres. I'll report back when they are on the car.

I did that (16 inch with Cross Climate 2 tyres) as soon as I acquired my Kamiq SEL in April this year. Didn’t run it long enough on original 18 inch wheels to make any proper comparison but what I have got feels excellent re noise and comfort. I chose alloys similar pattern to original. Will be interested to hear your comparison.

12858A63-BBED-4317-8AC0-5840BD5A0D5C.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Yetiflute said:

I chose alloys similar pattern to original

Looks pretty good!

Please, share Brand/Model of these rims (maybe link where you bought it)/

Whether it is original Skoda rims? I can't recognize

41 minutes ago, Allesandu said:

Looks pretty good!

Please, share Brand/Model of these rims (maybe link where you bought it)/

Whether it is original Skoda rims? I can't recognize

Not original Skoda rims but purchased from :-

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com

their full technical description copied from my receipt :-

6x16 5x100 ET35 Platin P 95 (VEC 606 V7) (Silber) (Lackiert) (57.1cb) (530kg Load) (H2) (PL

They supplied them with tyres fitted

6 hours ago, Allesandu said:

I have original Castor 16'' rims (9.4kg) + Bridgestone Turanza T005 16'' (8.0kg). And I am planning to change it to 17 or 18 and not loose in ride quality.

And I am trying to find best combination of main factors.

Take a look at such case:

my base 16'' kit 17,4 kg  --> new 17'' kit 16,6 kg (-0,8kg) with AUTEC Wizard 17'' (8.6kg) + Bridgestone Turanza T005 17'' (8.0kg) [yes this tyres has the same weight in both size]

I am wondering will it remains at the same comfort level as I have now  And is it Ok that AUTEC WIZARD is quite wider than recommendation for 17 rim: 7.5J instead of 6.5J ?

All other things being equal, a heavier rim doesn't make the ride harder.

Maybe you were thinking about a lighter weight accelerating faster when subjected to the same amount of force. A lighter wheel would therefore technically make the ride harder, not softer. However, even a 1kg heavier wheel is insignificant when you consider that there might be about 300kg of force pressing down on the wheel through the spring, ie. the weight of the car.

I'm a big fan of strong but light wheels, but not because it makes the ride better because it doesn't.

As standard, the Kamiq fits its 205/60R16 tyre size to a 6J rim, not a 6.5J rim.

As standard, the Kamiq fits it 205/55R17 tyre size to a 6J rim, not a 7.5J rim.

Fitting a 205/55R17 tyre to a 7.5J rim will make the ride much harder than fitting it to a much narrower 6J rim.

Even a 205/55R17 tyre fitted to a 6J rim will ride a little harder than a higher sidewalled 205/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6J rim.

Choice of tyre also makes a big difference to ride comfort as some designs have sidewalls that flex more easily than other.

I haven't seen the 205/55R17 Bridgestone Turanza T005 in a lower specification than V speed rated and eXtra Load, whereas I've seen the 205/60R16 Bridgestone Turanza T005 in an H speed rating and Standard Load. Apart from the difference in size, over-specifying a tyre makes the sidewalls less flexible and therefore the ride harder.

Maybe try 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 alloy rims with 205/65R15 or 205/70R15 tyres. The ride would be even better than 205/60R16 tyres fitted to 6Jx16 rims.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 205/70R15 96T

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s7998p144823/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_-_205_70_R15_96T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_A_Noise%3A_69dB

If you're shocked by the amount of sidewall on 205/65R15 and 205/70R15 tyres, just stick to the standard 205/60R16 tyre size on 6Jx16 rims, although 195/65R15 on 6Jx15 ET35 rims is officially listed by Skoda as a winter tyre size for the Scala and maybe the Kamiq.

6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 rims have been fitted to a large range of VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda group cars such as the Golf MK4, Polo MK5, Fabia MK3, Ibiza MK4, etc.

Pre-HE (1975-1981) Jaguar XJS had 205/70R15 tyres

Jaguar XJS registered January 1978 5343cc.JPG

HE (1981-1991) Jaguar XJS had 215/70R15 tyres

1991 Jaguar XJ-S 4.0.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJS

Edited by Carlston

@Carlston, maybe I got wrong articles about sprung and unsprung weight. I thought that less weight would bring me back comfort ride that I would definitely lose by changing 16” rims to 17”

Yes I know that standard wide of Kamiq rim - 6J for 16” and 6,5J for 17”

1 hour ago, Allesandu said:

@Carlston, maybe I got wrong articles about sprung and unsprung weight. I thought that less weight would bring me back comfort ride that I would definitely lose by changing 16” rims to 17”

Yes I know that standard wide of Kamiq rim - 6J for 16” and 6,5J for 17”

That's correct. 6J for the 16" rims and 6.5J for the 17" rims.

Although you will lose ride comfort by going to 17" (no matter how light the rims are), at least 17" is far more comfortable than 215/45R18 on 7J rims if you choose that route.

"skoda eshop cz" alloy rims for the Kamiq

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/hlinikove-disky/c/alloyWheels?q=%3ApriceAsc%3AcarType%3AKamiq%2B%282019%2B%29&text=#

wheel-size.com

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/kamiq/2019/

Edited by Carlston

Skoda UK / VW UK decide for the UK market that they are going to offer what ever for their market and if that is style over function then that is what is the choices.

Even basic models of a Fabia / Scala etc for sale / lease to Fleets / Utility Companies / NHS etc might not be available with sensible wheel choices for their users anymore.

Now with the horrible Aero Wheel Trims (IMO) that cars are coming with there might as well be 16" steel wheels offered and with a All Season tyre option in the UK. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/504905-mk4-colour-edition-wheel-caps