Looking to purchase - things to look out for?

Hi all, 

New to the forum as I am looking to purchase a superb imminently. New baby and my current Seat Leon does not cut it space wise for the three of us (the wife and I are both 6 foot plus so once the baby seat is in there is just no room and the boot is full with just the buggy). 

I have seen a 2017 2.0TDI sportline for what seems like a great price and low mileage for a diesel of that age so am looking to go and see that, however was just wondering if there is anything to look out for? Car doesnt seem to have many options fitted but from what I have seen there is not much in standard trim it is wanting for. To be honest as long as it has Android Auto, auto lights and wipers I would be happy (ACC will be a nice addition as my commute is mainly motorway). 

Any input would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Hi Shaady,

I've got my 17 Sportline 2.0TDi advertised at the moment but probably completely the wrong time to sell with the current lockdown.

I would say look out for squeaky suspension, and if it has DSG whether the gearbox service has been done.

Options wise I think they all have parking sensors, ACC (probably works best with DSG), auto lights/wipers and android auto as standard anyway. Mine has those, plus heated seats and electric tailgate which I think are options.

I've averaged about 48mpg in mine (190 DSG).

Thanks for the replies guys. 

Have just checked your cars out in the classifieds, the part ex price from the dealer has taken a lot of headache out of my decision though. 

Will check on the suspension when I take the car out for a drive. 

Think the price of the superb is quite good too, they have it on for £14890, 17 plate sportline with 23k miles on it. Its manual though I think I can live with that. 

Quick update on this as threads that get left hanging I know can be annoying...

Went to see that car above at Skoda Reading and well...it was battered. All the wheels were kerbed, one of the wing mirrors had a decent sized scuff on it, dings and dents all over the bodywork (some through to the undercoat), scuff plates on the sills were well, scuffed but to the point the writing had worn off, mismatched tyres (on the same axle) which is a big no no from me, especially when one is a no name brand. Not sure how a main dealer thought it was OK to present a car like that. I think the new car excitement got the better of me as I agreed with them that if they fixed the most damaged wheel and the wing mirror scuff I would do the deal. Woke up the next morning and instant regret, something just felt off about that car in particular. 

However, the superb as a car is just lovely, the thing feels like a limo and the space is just a dream compared to what I am coming from now. Comfortable and has everything I need. 

Found another one from Arnold Clark, another 17 plate sportline but DSG and Dragon Green and the auto boot and front parking sensors. Haven't seen the car yet as it is at the other end of the country from me but they are sending it down nearer me hopefully in the next week or so. Excited is an understatement right now...

20 minutes ago, Shaady said:

Skoda Reading

It's Marshall !!  Terrible company that shouldn't be in the business of selling cars.

20 minutes ago, Shaady said:

Not sure how a main dealer thought it was OK to present a car like that.

Did you ask them about condition of the car before you viewed it?

33 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

There are plenty of cars out there, no need to buy a dog or one that hasn’t been looked after. 

My thoughts exactly, a quick search threw up what appear to be much better cars. It clearly hasn't been looked after I would expect a car much older then that to be in that state.

14 minutes ago, Westbury63 said:

It's Marshall !!  Terrible company that shouldn't be in the business of selling cars.

Did you ask them about condition of the car before you viewed it?

Sorry yes Marshall, safe to say I wont be going anywhere near them again. 

The sales guy sent me a video of the car before I went there and briefly mentioned 'a few small marks on the wheels', not the fact that the thing was mangled and that it was all of them. There was also a little ding on the boot he mentioned so I thought he was being 100% honest about it so decided to give it a viewing, no mention of the scratches all over it or the wing mirror ding. I would never expect a used car to be perfect but this was so far on the other end of the scale it was almost insulting, and stuff that wouldnt be difficult to get sorted. They had reduced the price and now I think I know why...

Sorry to hear of it, and sadly so typically Marshall. Total waste of time.

I wont bore you with my tale of woe, but the Approved Used car I bought from them in 3/2020 had a massive list of faults, some dangerous. Complaints are not dealt with, even by their unprofessional franchsie Directors. Shocking shower of *****

In the interest of fairness, the Marshall Škoda dealership in Croydon has done alright by me. To the point where, even after the warranty has expired, I'm taking my Sportline back to them for its annual servicing, rather than to my local mechanic.

LOL, Fairness and Marshall in the same sentence!  :biggrin:

I'm pleased you get on with the Croydon branch, but I can only speak as I find. The OP had an issue with them, and you can see for yourself what happened when they took over the Progress Skoda dealer group. Marshall are now too big to care.

I got mine from Marshall reading. I was really impressed with them although it was only 6months  old and an ex skoda car. I travelled 4 hours  each way and it was as described!

I was quite happy with the steering wheel being off centre and they paid for a four wheel alignment at my local garage.

Agree that there is plenty choice though.  I travelled so far because I wanted a factory towbar and canton! 

Swings and roundabouts I guess, that's the issue when these groups get too big there are always going to be some bad ones. 

As mentioned this other garage who are part of Arnold Clark have so far been faultless, returned my calls and done everything they said they would. My only concern is how long it takes for the car to get to me as they obviously wait for a transporter full of cars before they send them down and at the moment I am not sure when that will be...

There is actually a lovely black one for sale at Marshall Croydon but I have fallen in love with Dragon Green and once bitten did cross my mind when I was thinking of getting in touch with them about it 

• Like 1