New SE L boot rattle

gigolo456

Good evening All, had my Karoq SE L for just over 2 weeks now, very much enjoying it thus far in the massive 120 miles I've done lol!!

Anyway, forgive me plse for mentioning that damned word, rattle! In short, when driving over uneven surfaces, and bumps, etc (most UK roads), I've picked up on what I believe is a metal noise emanating from in or around the boot!

Being a bugger for rattles etc I'm determined to get rid of this ASAP..

Researching on Google, this could be anything from the retractable boot cover, to boot catch, perhaps even rear centre seat-belt, but anything else I could try to rule out plse?

I've also got a steel space saver wheel, with usual tools, so contemplating wrapping tools up in bubble-wrap, but never had to do this in any previous car..

It's definitely a metal sound I'm hearing, well what I believe anyway..

Any previous experience of this would be very greatly appreciated..

Andrew 

20 minutes ago, NeilRW said:

Check the space saver is properly screwed down. I had a Mk 1 Fabia and had to keep tightening it as it would make a similar noise.

Hmmm, interesting you should say that! I did  actually check that earlier, and was met with what I can only class as a large screw lol! I twisted it and it then met no resistance, so twisted it again and, with a very small amount of pressure, met no resistance once more! In other words, I couldn't tighten said large screw at all really! Is it supposed to be screwed down quite tightly? As I mentioned above, I don't think I can twist more than say 90 degrees before it's loose again, probably even less than that, and certainly not what I would call tight..

Is the spare wheel loose

There is a large screw that sticks up from the bottom of spare wheel well.  My memory is that it is a bayonet fitting (like a light bulb) except it can turn all the way around and fixes in two positions. In the loose position it will lift out. 

There should then be a second black plastic "top hat" that screws down on the screw above fixing the wheel in place . The "top hat" also supports the boot floor. 

If you have the "top hat" piece in position and the two are turning together, then in the resistance position try unscrewing it while pulling. 

When you can, visit a dealer and look at one of theirs. 

tom

Edited by Sanqhar

Just been out to the car to check, forgot I had a wardrobe in bits in the back (Varioflex seats removed), I just love this car. 

DSL's picture is like mine showing the "top hat" unscrewed (and sitting at the bottom right hand corner).  The centre screw wobbles enabling you to get the spare in the optimal position before tightening. 

tom

Yep, as here with spare in place.

0C4AACDE-B287-4751-97D4-89D1BD218BA8.thumb.jpeg.0ef2b0ab3e13fc4d3e930b9df555433a.jpeg

The spare is slightly undersized for my standard sized tyres, curious as VAG do a spare that is exactly the right size/rolling circumference.   :angry:  Not really an issue for me as I carry a full sized alloy wheel in there. :thumbup:

Many thanks All for your responses! Sure enough, your photos represent all currently in the boot! I checked to make sure the wheel was securely clamped down, and even managed to tighten up that 'top hat'!

Went for a couple of local drives today, and thh the metal clanging wasn't quite as apparent! Yes, still a noise from the boot area when I go over bad surfaces, but that's with the Infotainment system totally muted lol, not something I'd actually do in the real world normally..

I normally only use my car anyway when I'm going golfing, so normally plenty of weight in the boot, so hopefully that will balance out any boot banging!?

Probably doesn't help though that I've got those bloody 19" wheels,  grrrr!! 

Might try removing the retractable parcel shelf tomorrow just to rule that out lol!!!

Well, I've tried every test possible today, much to the ridicule from my good lady lol!!

I've removed retractable boot cover, folded all rear seats down, seat belts in all combinations, and even removed usual tools next to the spare wheel!!

Alas, still quite audible (to me anyway)!! Even put a weighty object in the boot, make sure it's not just a noise resonating from the spare wheel itself for example!! :(

Always over bad road of course, nothing when over good surfaces!! Just sounds like there's something metallic loose boot area or below!?

Is it at all possible for rear suspension to rattle, ie. be loose, or any other usual culprits under the car?

Many thanks 

Andrew

Does that mean every possible piece of loose equipment has been removed then road tested?

If an empty car still rattles then you can consider suspension and/or stuff inside door panels.

If silent when empty, then replace things one at a time till the offending  article becomes obvious.

Good luck.

37 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

It could just be the normal "thumpy' tyre suspension/combination. Check tyres and tyre pressures. Bridgestone Turanzas  feel hard to me, they are not my favourite tyre.

tom

Yes, the 19" wheels probably don't help at all, and actually reduced pressures very slightly on Day 1, considering usually only me who is in the car lol!!

As someone else suggested, might sit in the back tomorrow as my wife drives, see if if I can at least pinpoint where its coming from!?

14 hours ago, VRT24 said:

Tailgate? Seen reference on a forum about wiring loom going in/out being loose and generating a knocking sound. 

Hi, I do think it's the tailgate alright! My wife and I took turns this afternoon sitting in the back whilst the other drove! A big plus is that she actually agreed with me that there is a rattle lol, so it's not me going mad at least..

We're both pretty adamant that it sounds like something is loose, eg. a catch of some sort, or panel etc, so doesn't sound like loose wiring or the like! As I said above, only ever happens when going over rough surfaces, cracks, holes in road etc..

Is it actually possible to adjust the tailgate connectors in any way? 

The only thing I haven't done is completely remove the whole polystyrene block that surrounds the spare wheel, but looks a bugger to remove lol, and everything 'seems ' secure enough anyway...

If it ain't either of the above, it must be underneath the car, and I ain't messing around with that..:sadsmile:

Andrew 

15 hours ago, gigolo456 said:

We're both pretty adamant that it sounds like something is loose, eg. a catch of some sort, or panel etc, so doesn't sound like loose wiring or the like!

Its possible that the tailgate latching mechanism isn't keeping the tailgate as tight up against the body in its closed position as it should, and therefore moves slightly when going over bumps/holes etc.. The way I discovered that (on another car) was to sit in the back seat with a short broomhandle and, as the wife drove over bumps, I applied pressure to the tailgate with the broom as if trying to push it open from the inside. Loh and behold no rattles - that showed to me that the locking catch mechanism needed adjusting. It may be worth you trying this to eliminate that possible source of rattling - just don't let the neighbours see you being driven around by the wife with you in the back seat manhandling a broom!!

53 minutes ago, VRT24 said:

Its possible that the tailgate latching mechanism isn't keeping the tailgate as tight up against the body in its closed position as it should, and therefore moves slightly when going over bumps/holes etc.. The way I discovered that (on another car) was to sit in the back seat with a short broomhandle and, as the wife drove over bumps, I applied pressure to the tailgate with the broom as if trying to push it open from the inside. Loh and behold no rattles - that showed to me that the locking catch mechanism needed adjusting. It may be worth you trying this to eliminate that possible source of rattling - just don't let the neighbours see you being driven around by the wife with you in the back seat manhandling a broom!!

Hi, must admit I LOL as I read your comments, so thanks for making me chuckle!! Tbh, id wear my pants on my head if I thought it would help the situation lol!!!

I must admit I did wrap the metal housing (on boot floor) earlier, lightly with thin padded sticky tape!! Could be placebo effect of course, but could have sworn the noise wasn't quite as audible!!

Thing is though, and goes back to a question above, can one actually adjust any of the tailgate connectors/connections?

Cheers 

Andrew 

42 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Are the rubber bump stops between the body and the boot lid adjustable. The part on the tailgate looks adjustable although I don't know how. 

tom

Can't even see any rubber stops, unless my eyes are fading!? :blink:

There is a rubber "slot" each side on the lower bodywork and a corresponding rectangular "bumper" on the tailgate. 

As I said the tailgate bumper looks like it might be adjustable.  I'm not prepared to prise mine in case I muck it up.

tom 

May be a bit obvious ! but have you checked that the Vario seats are fully engaged ? need a good slam to lock.

Just seen you said you had folded seats, sorry.

Edited by Gomezz

1 hour ago, Gomezz said:

May be a bit obvious ! but have you checked that the Vario seats are fully engaged ? need a good slam to lock.

Just seen you said you had folded seats, sorry.

Yeap, checked that a few times now. You are right though, they do seem to need a firm push to lock fully!! I will triple check tomorrow though..

Definitely around tailgate, or beneath that section of the car..

As above, just trying to ascertain now if you can adjust any of the fixings/connectors on the tailgate working!?

13 hours ago, gigolo456 said:

Yeap, checked that a few times now. You are right though, they do seem to need a firm push to lock fully!! I will triple check tomorrow though..

Definitely around tailgate, or beneath that section of the car..

As above, just trying to ascertain now if you can adjust any of the fixings/connectors on the tailgate working!?

Have you found the bump stops I was referring to?

tom

5 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

Have you found the bump stops I was referring to?

tom

Hi, tbh no, there are a couple of 'things ' down towards the boot floor, but can't see any sticky-out bump stops...:blush: