New SE L boot rattle

gigolo456

Hi All, bit of an update! Dealer had my car for an hour or so, and could find no noise as I described! Am I surprised they found nothing, NO lol!!

To be fair I can hear it, even still, but my rattle-detector has always been very sensitive!! :sadsmile:

Until if and well i can establish that you can actually adjust the tailgate in whatever form, I'm left to just turn the volume up on radio/music!!

I will add though IMHO that overall the ride quality is not that much better than my last car, a Golf R, and that is essentially why I changed in the 1st place! I've only myself to blame though, as my test-drive was in an SE L with 18s (now 19s), but I decided to buy new lol! Just hoping perhaps that once I have a couple of thousand miles in it, that perhaps things 'smoothen out, but not holding my breath! I was that impressed by test-drive I should have just put an offer in on the spot, but was a year old and 5k in miles..

You live and learn, but bloody expensive misjudgement..:o

Andrew 

Edited by gigolo456
Error

You could downgrade to 17” wheels.  Not a lot of Karoq 17s out there but plenty of Yeti rims that would fit the bill nicely.  I know it’s an expense but cheaper in the long run than getting really  annoyed and chopping the car early. I’m on 17s and find the ride perfect. :thumbup:

Edited by DSL

57 minutes ago, DSL said:

You could downgrade to 17” wheels.  Not a lot of Karoq 17s out there but plenty of Yeti rims that would fit the bill nicely.  I know it’s an expense but cheaper in the long run than getting really  annoyed and chopping the car early. I’m on 17s and find the ride perfect. :thumbup:

Interesting suggestion, thank you! Have you moved to 17s by choice, or did your trim actually come with those wheels?

Tyres can make quite a difference too. Check out the ones you have fitted in Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews

(There's a link to individual makes on the righthand side way down the page.)

I've got Bridgestone Dueler HP Sports on my Sportline, and they don't rate very highly for comfort. But at least they are also relatively poor for wear, so I can replace them with All Seasons when they wear out. :) 

Chris 

51 minutes ago, gigolo456 said:

Interesting suggestion, thank you! Have you moved to 17s by choice, or did your trim actually come with those wheels?

My entry level SE comes with 17”ers as standard but I come for a long(ish) history of fitting the smallest wheels to cars that normally have larger/blingier rims.  For me ride comfort trumps the ability to throw the car round bends at high speed. :thumbup:

3 hours ago, DSL said:

My entry level SE comes with 17”ers as standard but I come for a long(ish) history of fitting the smallest wheels to cars that normally have larger/blingier rims.  For me ride comfort trumps the ability to throw the car round bends at high speed. :thumbup:

I quite agree!! Im going through a phase where I want to have a midsized SUV and drive in comfort! Being a golfer, I often drive off the beaten track so to speak, and the test-drive on18s surpassed expectations! I'm just a bit surprised how noticeably different the ride now is on 19s!!

I'll stick it out I'm sure, and come time of tyre renewal, I will 'consider ' spending the extra for new rims also..

First hurdle though is solving the puzzle of boot/tailgate noise..

At least my wipers (touch wood) are very good thus far lol!!!

On 25/01/2021 at 14:58, VRT24 said:

Its possible that the tailgate latching mechanism isn't keeping the tailgate as tight up against the body in its closed position as it should, and therefore moves slightly when going over bumps/holes etc.. The way I discovered that (on another car) was to sit in the back seat with a short broomhandle and, as the wife drove over bumps, I applied pressure to the tailgate with the broom as if trying to push it open from the inside. Loh and behold no rattles - that showed to me that the locking catch mechanism needed adjusting. It may be worth you trying this to eliminate that possible source of rattling - just don't let the neighbours see you being driven around by the wife with you in the back seat manhandling a broom!!

Well Well well!! As I've mentioned already now in this thread, dealer found nothing! I took your advice and had my good lady drive earlier, with me and the brush in the back lol!! I first of all pressed the brush handle half way up the tailgate, but noise still audible!

Last resort was to press the butt of the handle HARD against the intersection of the boot floor and the actual tailgate, ie directly below the rubber pull-down handle, so just between plastic boot floor lip and the tailgate!! Low and behold, NOISE COMPLETELY VANISHED!!!! Deliberately drove over my usual test route that provokes said rattle btw...

Having OCD to one side, what on earth does this mean can be adjusted!? Yes, I've established now what stops it, but how can I now potentially adjust something to cure this?? I could always just pay some random to sit in the back and jab that area with my yard brush, but me thinks id be arrested eventually for having an offensive weapon in my possession lol!!!

Andrew 

So...is it the trim or the actual tailgate itself?

My first call stands, the bump stop on that side.  I don't know how to adjust it. 

https://500px.com/photo/1027904224

Hope the photo works. I'm using 500PX and can't figure how to find the link on their website to get the photo to appear here.

I got it to an email draft and copied the link from there

tom

Edited by Sanqhar

16 hours ago, gigolo456 said:

Last resort was to press the butt of the handle HARD against the intersection of the boot floor and the actual tailgate, ie directly below the rubber pull-down handle, so just between plastic boot floor lip and the tailgate!! Low and behold, NOISE COMPLETELY VANISHED!!!!

Glad the old broom ploy worked for you! I can't get to our Karoq at present and hence can't advise on tailgate locking mechanism/catch adjustment. In theory, you are forcing tailgate away from car body wiith the broom which would indicate that the bump stops (assuming there are any) are not extended sufficiently to maintain pressure on the lock catch when it's connecting to the 'hoop' on the car. The tailgate seals probably provide a degree of pressure, but not enough when you hit a bump and cause the tailgate to move.

Unless someone else here can help more re adjustment of bump stops or whatever else is involved, I'd video the noise with and without interaction of the broom and show it to your dealer so they can't say 'can't replicate any noise/rattle sir'.

Just seen Sanqhar's photo. Assuming the bump stops could be adjusted, I'd move both sides equally so as not to result in unequal pressure between the two sides of the tailgate. If there is no adjusting the bump stops, then the locking catch/mechanism needs to be adjusted to pull the tailgate tighter to the car/bump stops. That I would leave to the dealer in all honesty.

Edited by VRT24
Spelling

2 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

I have looked and searched but so far have not seen how to adjust them. 

tom

Cheers, yes, just spotted these, thank you! Clearly I was performing a bloke's search up until now lol!!

As you say though, goodness knows how they can be adjusted, if at all!? Perhaps it just needs a bit of pressure with a screwdriver for instance to invoke a bit of movement!? 

I'll have a further look online, as surely these can be adjusted...!! :blush:

19 minutes ago, gigolo456 said:

Cheers, yes, just spotted these, thank you! Clearly I was performing a bloke's search up until now lol!!

As you say though, goodness knows how they can be adjusted, if at all!? Perhaps it just needs a bit of pressure with a screwdriver for instance to invoke a bit of movement!? 

I'll have a further look online, as surely these can be adjusted...!! :blush:

Making heavy weather of this guys........just pull the cover off with your fingers from the top and adjust as required......

BootStop.JPG

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Making heavy weather of this guys........just pull the cover off with your fingers from the top and adjust as required......

BootStop.JPG

Thanks  Berisford I couldn't find it anywhere.

gigolo456Judging by the ridges that can be seen it looks like it can be moved a millimetre at a time.

Count the ridges before you start so you can put it back to original if it doesn't work 

tom

Edited by Sanqhar

21 minutes ago, Berisford said:

BootStop.JPG

Cheers, thank you! I'm assuming then that once the screw is loosened, you simply need to pull the rubber stopper down/up as required, and then pop the cover back on?

Thanks again..

2 minutes ago, gigolo456 said:

Cheers, thank you! I'm assuming then that once the screw is loosened, you simply need to pull the rubber stopper down/up as required, and then pop the cover back on?

Thanks again..

That's the way it looks to me.

You'll need a Torx bit, not an Allen key. 

tom

4 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

That's the way it looks to me.

You'll need a Torx bit, not an Allen key. 

tom

Cheers! Will try and adjust sometime this week when I can pluck up the courage lol!! 

At least I know now (hopefully) how to potentially resolve it!!

I'm working off the premise that I'll need to lengthen the boot stops..

6 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Adjustment is really critical, and watch for the lock catch getting too tight.

Cheers, will do my best!! Coincidentally, spoke to Skoda technician earlier, a mate from my golf club, and he's advised when I do adjust that screw in the boot stops that I loosen it, and then actually pull OUT towards me, then re-tighten!

I was under the impression that when I loosened said screw, I was actually moving the stopper vertically down so to speak!!

Surely if I'm pulling it out towards me and then re-tighten, it will simply go back to exactly where it was lol?? :blink:

3 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Pull it out slightly to clear, move the rubber mount by one tooth and then tighten again. The stew locks it in the new position 

Cheers, when you say move the mount by one tooth, will I know what you mean once I finally get round to doing it lol?? I'm assuming that as it's one tooth, it's easy to adjust both sides the same amount?

Apologies for being hopeless at what is probably very straight forward for most people..

43 minutes ago, gigolo456 said:

Cheers, when you say move the mount by one tooth, will I know what you mean once I finally get round to doing it lol?? I'm assuming that as it's one tooth, it's easy to adjust both sides the same amount?

Apologies for being hopeless at what is probably very straight forward for most people..

Both components, the one fastened to the bodywork and the one held by the small Torx bolt have ridges in ‘em that ‘lock’ into each other to help secure firmly - it’ll be obvious when you slacken off. However, as someone previously mentioned, be sure to note where it is now, that is, how many groves/ridges are visible before you start.

As you loosen the Torx screws, try to keep the bumpstops in place, otherwise they'll drop away from their original position and you'll have the devil's own job to know or go back to where you start from. Three hands will help! 

Try one side at a time,  then the other, then back to the first one, making tiny adjustments and check after every one. It will take time but otherwise you'll just be getting lost.  I thought my rattle was some loose trim or a rear seat catch, until I tried the bump stops. If I recall correctly one was out a different direction than the other.

(There is another thread on here unconnected with boot rattles, about the bottom corners of the hatch not lining up properly to the bumper, out by a couple of mm. I've looked at several cars at my local dealers and they all vary, but it is a narrow range. Your adjustments might or might not produce a slight gap. However it's only noticeable if you know it exists and look for it. Having seen the horrendous and laughable panel gaps and trim misalignments on a Tesla S down my road, a car costing around three times my Karoq, I think I've got the better deal.)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/01/2021 at 17:28, gigolo456 said:

Well Well well!! As I've mentioned already now in this thread, dealer found nothing! I took your advice and had my good lady drive earlier, with me and the brush in the back lol!! I first of all pressed the brush handle half way up the tailgate, but noise still audible!

Last resort was to press the butt of the handle HARD against the intersection of the boot floor and the actual tailgate, ie directly below the rubber pull-down handle, so just between plastic boot floor lip and the tailgate!! Low and behold, NOISE COMPLETELY VANISHED!!!! Deliberately drove over my usual test route that provokes said rattle btw...

Having OCD to one side, what on earth does this mean can be adjusted!? Yes, I've established now what stops it, but how can I now potentially adjust something to cure this?? I could always just pay some random to sit in the back and jab that area with my yard brush, but me thinks id be arrested eventually for having an offensive weapon in my possession lol!!!

Andrew 

Did you do the adjustments and was it sucessful?

18 minutes ago, VRT24 said:

Did you do the adjustments and was it sucessful?

Alas no lol, as in even attempting it yet I mean! After reading some of the comments about needing a couple of pairs of hands, I've decided to wait until the law permits and I can get my Skoda mechanic mate to give me a hand..

That said, even he has said it's a simple job to do, but I have this knack of unwittingly making things worse when I start trying to fix things with my hands lol!! 

To be fair, still only driven 310 miles since new on 5th January!! What really confuses me is that for the first few days at least, this rattle was non-existent!! Every time I've been out since, it rears it's ugly head!

Yes, I've tried putting some tape on things, silly me, and perhaps I've misaligned something when doing so!?

Hope upon hope that adjusting the boot stops eventually will work!! :blink: