Octavia Mk4 aftermarket towbar

Ajdude

Hi.  I had a westfalia detachable swan neck fitted with 13 pin electrics.  You can’t see it all when the bar is removed and you wouldn’t even know the bumper was cut unless you stick your head right underneath. 

it did take DM Keith in Grimsby about 10 days from collecting to dropping back off my car as the coding took their subcontracted independent an age to do.  But it seems okay having put my bike rack on it and checked various bits such as the rear sensors being disabled.  

FYI it cost me 750 in the end to be done. So 435 sounds a bargain and should be fine.  But then again, with the quirks of this model, don’t hold me to it. 

I fitted a Witter fixed swan neck to my 66 plate Scout yesterday afternoon. 
I got a fantastic bargain from Buchans For Towbars (Glasgow)  

The bar was “New-old stock” and I got it for the princely sum of £60

I fitted it in just over 2 hours and will go back to Buchans next week for the electrical work, which they’ve told me will be £90.

If in future I feel the need for a detachable tow ball, I can purchase it (and the housing) and it slots straight into the existing bar. That would cost £120.

gotta love a bargain!

I’ll only use it to pull my motorcycle (on single trailer) down to Portsmouth for my bi-annual European motorcycle jollies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While they keep my car for the kmh/mph issue, I enquired about installing a detachable towbar.

I was quoted 1,014GBP (inc of VAT), which seems on the high side but it would be an original one rather than aftermarket so should help with the 5y warranty.

image.png.f1083f7da3258fba40038ea2c0e69b82.png

Has anybody got an original Skoda Towbar ever retrofitted?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

@Ajdude, I work for Skoda and have recently sold one of these cars. The customer took the car to a tow bar fitter yesterday who told him an aftermarket towbar couldn't be fitted due to the weight plate showing 0kg. Would you mind looking at your plate (on the b pillar, drivers side) and seeing if the GTW says 0?

Thank you

Edited by john999boy
Photo removed at OP's request.

11 hours ago, tobster911 said:

@Ajdude, I work for Skoda and have recently sold one of these cars. The customer took the car to a tow bar fitter yesterday who told him an aftermarket towbar couldn't be fitted due to the weight plate showing 0kg. Would you mind looking at your plate (on the b pillar, drivers side) and seeing if the GTW says 0?

Thank you

Hi @tobster911   .  I’ve checked my VIN plate and rather surprisingly it is identical to the plate shown in your picture (except the VIN number).  My towbar was fitted through DM Keith in Grimsby and  nothing was mentioned.  I had best have a conversation with them about the legality of fitting a towbar.  

Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I use mine predominantly for a bike carrier rather than towing but on occasion use it to pull a small erde 120 trailer.  

Edited by john999boy
Referenced photo removed.
  • Like 1

@Ajdude@tobster911may I ask which engine the 0kg towing was for?

My loaner is showing 0kg too (1.5L TSi). I am really hopeful that won't be the same with my 2.0 TDI when it is finally returned to me!

According to my fitter its the fact that its fitted is the problem. However I have no legal confirmation.  My wife works for a motor legal company so she will enquire on Monday. 

Regards Chris 

I just looked in the first brochure for MK4 (June-20) and it does say that 1.5TSi can't be retrofitted.

image.thumb.png.36740689c05d44b6ef066e1ebca34f6e.png

Looking at the current one, it does seem that it is not possible to retrofit a towbar to any of the petrol variants.

image.thumb.png.4d8c0da60c2d43a4e01d1213d4aa9b79.png

Fitting a towbar and ball and then using the car to tow when it is not approved to tow is an issue with the Insurers and the Police.   Many do it and might never have an issue if not involved in an accident while towing or stopped at Roadside checks with the DVSA and Police.  Professional / companies that are  Towbar fitters know the law as far as them fitting towbars to vehicles without the Approval to tow. 

Edit.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/429261-dont-buy-a-201718-150ps-4wd-7-seat-if-you-tow

This is the Kodiaq that can not legally tow on the Public Highway.

Just the same as Fabia vRS & Mk2 Fabia vRS.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coume said:

@Ajdude@tobster911may I ask which engine the 0kg towing was for?

My loaner is showing 0kg too (1.5L TSi). I am really hopeful that won't be the same with my 2.0 TDI when it is finally returned to me!

It’s a 1.5 TSi.   Given that I had a Skoda dealer fit the tow bar you would reasonably conclude they knew what they were doing both professionally and legally (if this is indeed the case). 

2 hours ago, AviationNut said:

According to my fitter its the fact that its fitted is the problem. However I have no legal confirmation.  My wife works for a motor legal company so she will enquire on Monday. 

Regards Chris 

Please let me know what the legal standpoint is when you find out. I’d appreciate it so I can speak to dealer who fitted my towbar. 

Yes no problem. Wife working from home so hopefully will be able to contact the legal team. Hit and miss at present.

This issue has could turn out to be massive.  Will cover more cars than the Octavia Mk4. What about other VAG group cars  Read something last night about the smaller Skoda  SUVS. Same issue.

Interesting that the bouchure mentions the limitation and not the handbook! You don't need to read the brochures legally but you do need to read the handbook.  I tend not to read e brochures anyway. Do the Dealerships?

6 minutes ago, AviationNut said:

Yes no problem. Wife working from home so hopefully will be able to contact the legal team. Hit and miss at present.

This issue has could turn out to be massive.  Will cover more cars than the Octavia Mk4. What about other VAG group cars  Read something last night about the smaller Skoda  SUVS. Same issue.

Interesting that the bouchure mentions the limitation and not the handbook! You don't need to read the brochures legally but you do need to read the handbook.  I tend not to read e brochures anyway. Do the Dealerships?

Thanks.  I've just spoken to my insurance company (LV) and asked if fitting a tow bar to car with a 0 rating on the VIN would be a problem .  They suggested that would not be a problem from an insurance perspective.  That said, I don't think I had a lot of confidence in them understanding what I was asking and don't fancy testing it out incase of an accident whilst towing a trailer or a bike rack!

This could be a serious issue as you say.  

You need that in writing from the underwriter and the broker, because who you spoke to are wrong.

A Bike Rack & carrier fitment is a very different thing from a Tow Bar used to tow when a car has no 'Manufacturers provided tow weights'. 

The Grey area has always existed in C&U Regs and Type Approval.

Some for Tow Bars for recovery of vehicles.  (Not advised!)

This is about the Karoq that can not legally tow.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 11.51.29.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

I wouldn't have confidence either. I'd need it in writing.

Absolutely crazy but I've had a look at my wife's 2020 Mazda 2 1.5 petrol plate. Small hatchback car 90 BHP no turbo, yet it is rated for pulling a braked trailer up to 900kg

It is with great relief that I can report ours is correctly plated.  MK4 Octavia which fell off the production line on 12 March 2021 fully infected with the other issues reported on the KPH/MPH thread.  Guess it was lucky enough to have received an early dose of the vaccine to prevent this issue.  At least I can be thankful for something at long last!!:biggrin:

VIN Plate.jpg

@AviationNut

The last 1,328cc 85ps Suzuki Jimny can tow a 1,300 kg braked trailer.

While the 1.4TSI 180ps Twincharger DSG Fabia vRS was not given Tow Weights,

the sister cars with 1.,4 TSI Twinchargers / DSG's From VW, Seat & Audi could and can tow.

(Skoda even put Ballast Weights of 25kg on the nearside of the rear crash bar.)

Edited by e-Roottoot

29 minutes ago, Nosnehm said:

It is with great relief that I can report ours is correctly plated.  MK4 Octavia which fell off the production line on 12 March 2021 fully infected with the other issues reported on the KPH/MPH thread.  Guess it was lucky enough to have received an early dose of the vaccine to prevent this issue.  At least I can be thankful for something at long last!!:biggrin:

VIN Plate.jpg

What engine gearbox combination do you have

Today I have genuinely come across one of the most professional companies I have ever dealt with. After having my towbar fitted by a local fitter who did a great job but struggled with the coding I came across Telford towbars. Booked me in at short notice and after a 1hr drive arrived at the absolutely immaculate premises. The guys there could not have been more helpful & professional. Coding sorted within the 1hr and on the way back home. I cannot recommend these guys enough as it is so rare to come across such nice people. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lee8810 said:

Today I have genuinely come across one of the most professional companies I have ever dealt with. After having my towbar fitted by a local fitter who did a great job but struggled with the coding I came across Telford towbars. Booked me in at short notice and after a 1hr drive arrived at the absolutely immaculate premises. The guys there could not have been more helpful & professional. Coding sorted within the 1hr and on the way back home. I cannot recommend these guys enough as it is so rare to come across such nice people. 

Do you know what the problem with coding was from the original towbar fitter. A few tales around about with these type of issues with later models. Could be the kit / IT they are using?

Good to hear you got it sorted.