Saving a MK1 Octavia VRS Police Car, FJ54 WYP

a1topdog

The passenger door was slightly out of alignment and was catching on the wing at the bottom of the door and had chipped off the door paint. You can see in this photo how the door gap is not even all the way down.  I thought I'd adjust the door hinges on the A post. I removed the wing to make it easier to get the hinge bolts then realised one bolt was inside the A post. Having recently just refitted the interior I wasn't taking it apart again. A plan B was required. 

PXL_20211122_191558203.jpg

PXL_20211122_194948240.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, a1topdog said:

All of these tailgate repairs will be covered up the chevron decal shown here. But as these will be expensive to buy

@oldunsmight be able to point you at good suppliers.

11 hours ago, a1topdog said:

front end headlight

I have a pair of the original glass-lenses headlights buried in my garage if they're any use to you.  Not sure if they're off a standard or a vrs - or if they're any different at all.

1 hour ago, MikeTheThinker said:

I have a pair of the original glass-lenses headlights buried in my garage if they're any use to you.  Not sure if they're off a standard or a vrs - or if they're any different at all.

Thanks Mike, I have already sourced some replacements 👍🏻

• Like 1

So this is the issue with the headlight. There is a big space between the top lug and the car front panel, yet both sides of the headlight fit flush against the panel as they should.

Also there was no way the headlight could be removed with the plastic bumper cover fitted. I was suspecting the crash bar was bent.......

PXL_20211222_134831056.jpg

PXL_20211222_134812092.jpg

PXL_20211222_134841931.jpg

16 hours ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

Excellent work, mate!

Thanks, getting there. I need do a bit of suspension work next then start using it.

Can you believe this car came with nearly a full years MOT. There were so many issues that should have been MOT failures,  some I've not even documented yet.  Lucky I wasnt expecting much and bought the car expecting problems and knowing I could do most of the work myself.  Someone else could have easily been burnt. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

The original headlights on the car were knackered. Broken adjusters, burnt bulb holders, cut wires and missing covers from the rear. I found a lovely replacement set and fitted them. This pic shows one original next to the replacement

PXL_20220130_125001122.jpg

PXL_20220130_125038998.jpg

PXL_20220130_125024025.jpg

Edited by a1topdog
Spelling
  • Like 1

I've had the car just over a year and never driven it. Even though I'd done a ton of work and it wasn't yet completed I thought I'd put it in for an MOT. Remember I bought it with a clean MOT, no advisories. It should sail through 😂. Suprise, suprise it failed. 1 perished steering rack gaiter and the front brake Flexi hoses. Also some advisories on the rear brake pipes.  I was quoted 3.5hours to do the gaiter and front brake pipes. No thank you, I'll do it myself.

I was dreading doing the brake Flexi hoses as I was sure the hard brake line fixing would be seized and snap. I used plenty of penetrating oil, wire bushed what I could and took my time. Do not even attempt this job if you don't have correct sized flared open end spanners and suitable sockets. It will end in disaster.  Before pics (I had changed the bleed nipple first) 

PXL_20220312_090942245.jpg

PXL_20220312_090949524.jpg

PXL_20220312_090955687.jpg

Edited by a1topdog
Correct
  • Like 1