New Karoq, first impressions and comparison

1stkaroc

Hi Merlinman, sorry, I've lost the details of the actual cost - and it was before the pound and euro were at par on exchange rates!  I'd expect you're looking at a fiver or so - but you can get quite far with the order in Superskoda  to check the final price to see added costs before committing.

There might be similar and cheaper on Ebay, and I've also bought electric items from Aliexpress, like a miniature hifi amplifier.  I've never had non-receipt issues there but there can be a long delivery delay.

• Like 1

Just removed the boot light from it’s mounting point and opened up, woooopeeee it’s a standard w5w bulb so one of my LEDs is going in there.  Just showed me how powerless this unit is, I didn’t even know it was there!  :D

53D47A35-D57F-4EDD-AA2F-765AFB9DCE15.thumb.jpeg.b36ed98b6c41fcc1c7bd9931c112d4c7.jpeg

48 minutes ago, DSL said:

Just removed the boot light from it’s mounting point and opened up, woooopeeee it’s a standard w5w bulb so one of my LEDs is going in there.  Just showed me how powerless this unit is, I didn’t even know it was there!  :D

53D47A35-D57F-4EDD-AA2F-765AFB9DCE15.thumb.jpeg.b36ed98b6c41fcc1c7bd9931c112d4c7.jpeg

Let's hope the Led doesn't bring up a Canbus fault. 

tom

Took mine out and apart last evening, it has a single LED in the boot light, unlike the Superskoda which has 18 LED's!

I reckon the SS version will cost €35+ RM surcharge delivered, which would make it a pretty pricey mod?

You can find them for about a fiver for a pair on aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002043434042.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.86044280QZ3076&algo_pvid=0465a7ba-a3a5-477a-91c2-1549e38e9070&algo_expid=0465a7ba-a3a5-477a-91c2-1549e38e9070-9&btsid=0b0a01f816156557400877293e34c7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Doesn't explicitly mention Karoq, but look identical and someone said they are the same as Octavia.

Just ordered a pair. With new user discount of £2.20 added VAT it came down to £3.13 well worth the punt even if they don't fit or end up tripping the CAN BUS

Merlinman, that'd be for a pair, it's 25 euros for a single?  I think the pair were a fair bit cheaper when I bought mine, around 25 euros, which was about £21 then.  Plus delivery.  I think I'd have baulked at paying today's prices.  The boot of the Octavia was really dark with the OEM lights, but with the two new LEDs it was really bright.  Again, a pity the Karoq only has one lamp that can be replaced.

For those who don't have loads of odd bulbs lying around, there are several UK sellers on Ebay asking around £15 - £20 (free postage on some of them) for VW-Audi-Skoda-Porsche replacement lamps like mine. They seem to be used in cars across the VW group.  I haven't dug in to see specific Karoq ones but a seller should be able to provide dimensions to check. 

On the Octy thread there was never any mention of CANBUS issues. I know from my days with a Saab how problematic that could be.

I posted this just as the message above came in.

Edited by FlyingGecko

While on the issue of LED bulbs, and to save me going out in the sleety rain, anyone know if any other internal light fittings have w5w/501 type bulbs?

Got this bulb fitted in the boot, much to SWMBO’s annoyance as I nicked it from the boot light in her car.  Fired up a treat and no errors.

5E1E43BB-880C-40B9-AEAD-F85A6391DE95.thumb.jpeg.7e84cb401714690c5b5245c448c02967.jpeg

Not bad for £1 a pop.  Hopefully not literally. :D

2 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Merlinman, that'd be for a pair, it's 25 euros for a single?  I think the pair were a fair bit cheaper when I bought mine, around 25 euros, which was about £21 then.  Plus delivery.  I think I'd have baulked at paying today's prices.  The boot of the Octavia was really dark with the OEM lights, but with the two new LEDs it was really bright.  Again, a pity the Karoq only has one lamp that can be replaced.

For those who don't have loads of odd bulbs lying around, there are several UK sellers on Ebay asking around £15 - £20 (free postage on some of them) for VW-Audi-Skoda-Porsche replacement lamps like mine. They seem to be used in cars across the VW group.  I haven't dug in to see specific Karoq ones but a seller should be able to provide dimensions to check. 

On the Octy thread there was never any mention of CANBUS issues. I know from my days with a Saab how problematic that could be.

I posted this just as the message above came in.

The price I quoted included postage @ 9.90€! Unsure whether RM will demand a ‘Service Charge’?

Merlinman, I guess that'd be the post-Brexit "import duty handling fee" con, or whatever it's officially called, I'd forgotten about that.

That's a good point you've raised.

I've heard from a friend who buys lots of cycle parts that it can be pot luck if they charge you. 

( My daughter bought a dress from Australia for £25. Got hit for another £35 as it came to the UK. So far, I've never had to pay on all the stuff I've got from AliExpress.)

Edited by FlyingGecko
  • Love it! 1

I bought the Superskoda boot lights for the Octavia I had.  When I sold it I took out the lights and put the originals back in.....

I've put one of the pair in the Karoq, it fitted perfectly ( the other will be going in the missus's Golf when I get round to it...)

I do remember them being expensive ( there are much cheaper LED boot lights advertised on the bay), but the brightness speaks for itself....

You are going to get what you pay for here....

And like me, in a few months you will have forgotten exactly what you did pay....!

:cool:

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2021 at 15:28, CJJE said:

My early MY21 has the towing eye, but the plastic puller to remove the wheel bolt covers was missing! There's no strap to hold up the boot floor, and as the Sportline only has the rail and bag hooks on one side, there's no obvious place to secure it on the righthand side of the boot. But as there's little space around the spare wheel for anything but various tools and spare bulbs etc, I won't be lifting the boot floor that often anyway. 

Chris

Picked up my SE L last week, manufacture date was 13/11/20 so is a model year 21, just had a look for the towing eye and doesn't appear to be there or a place to put it, does it mean it was removed for model year 21?

Phil245 - snap!

Slightly separate note -  under my door mirrors (SE-L trim, Sept 19 reg)  are "puddle" lights, that gently illumate the floor/road/etc when the door is opened at night.  Over on the Octy 3 forum, there was a lot of discussion a few years back about what level of trim had them, how to upgrade the bulbs, etc.  I can find no mention in any Skoda material or spec pages to these on the Karoq - anyone else have or not have them?

Mine is just as shown in DSL's post:

0C4AACDE-B287-4751-97D4-89D1BD218BA8.thumb.jpeg.0ef2b0ab3e13fc4d3e930b9df555433a.jpeg

The towing eye is a dark grey at the far righthand corner as shown above. (This is a spacesaver spare wheel so it might be in a different place for a full size spare.)

Chris  

9 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Mine is just as shown in DSL's post:

0C4AACDE-B287-4751-97D4-89D1BD218BA8.thumb.jpeg.0ef2b0ab3e13fc4d3e930b9df555433a.jpeg

The towing eye is a dark grey at the far righthand corner as shown above. (This is a spacesaver spare wheel so it might be in a different place for a full size spare.)

Chris  

Bit of a senior moment didn't lift the boot floor up high enough, only to the rear hinged bit, lifted it higher and there it was a towing eye..🤭🤭

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Phil245 - snap!

Slightly separate note -  under my door mirrors (SE-L trim, Sept 19 reg)  are "puddle" lights, that gently illumate the floor/road/etc when the door is opened at night.  Over on the Octy 3 forum, there was a lot of discussion a few years back about what level of trim had them, how to upgrade the bulbs, etc.  I can find no mention in any Skoda material or spec pages to these on the Karoq - anyone else have or not have them?

Mine has them saying 'SKODA' on the ground when the door is opened! Don't think it was a MY21 change, but might have been restricted to Editions and Sportlines.

Chris

3 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Phil245 - snap!

Her MY19 Golf has these......

But on my MY20 Sportline the light is in the bottom of the door, shining directly onto the floor whenever you open driver or front passenger door. The light spells out "Skoda" very crisply onto the ground. Always impresses people who haven't seen it before...!