ACC [Adaptive Cruise Control]

I would be most grateful if someone could help eliminate the error as shown in the attached picture please. I don't think [99%] its a hardware fault; I think its some software setting within VCDS [100%].

It has really been 'doing my head in' for a verrrrrrrrry loooooooooong time!

P.S. My car does not have ACC and [due to complexity and installation costs] neither am I interested in having it in my car.

Thank you very very much for your time and help. :)

WP_20191212_17_03_18_Pro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Chimaera: Everything [info–wise] I had, I gave you; unfortunately its not much because, [at least now] I can't even remember how this suddenly happened. So, ummmmmmmmmmmm........... kiiiiiiiiiiind–of related, is a few spurious random times, the cruise control has switched itself off whilst the car has been on cruise control; but not enough times or with enough instances for me [at least] to warrant that the dashboard error and the aforementioned are definately directly or indirectly related. But your knowledge is [probably] going to be better than mine.

UrbanPanzer: VCDS isn't the most ummmmmmmmmmmmmm correct english language and grammar program [in my ordinary opinion]. What is written on the screen, and what its english language meaning is, is not or sometimes doesn't appear to be what the program is interpreting it as. Sorry can't think of an appropriate example of the top of my head :worried: aaaaaaaaaaaanyway I have checked and checked and checked in all of the logical places [in the program] and under all of the obvious and totally unrelated sections therein, but all to no avail! I'm thinking its got to be some really wierd [see my bit about english language previously] wording and section. Also for those that miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight want to retro–fit ACC then my error message shows that at least some of the related components do exist and are possibly factory–fitted already; i.e. the car possibly already has the capability of ACC.

I hope the above info is of some help.

It's obviously a coding error, the ECU is looking for ACC but can't find it because it's not fitted.

Coding errors usually happen when battery voltage is briefly interrupted during ECU initialisation, for example when trying to start the car with a flat battery on a cold morning.

I can't tell you what code you'd need to write into the ECU but a search usually yields results and someone may have a copy of the official service manual where such information is usually concealed.

Oooooooooookkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyyy?

Can you scan the "whole" car, and post it here so we can see it ?

ACC is module 13, just wondering what appears on a vehicle scan

PS you def would not be able to retrofit anyway and there is "nothing" in the car already.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

UrbanPanzer: Yes of course, no problem at all; most happy to oblige! I'll do a complete scan and post it herein for those interested to peruse :)

sepulchrave: What I wrote in reply to you was a genuine sincere cordial comment, from your reply I felt that you may possibly have misread what I wrote to be a sarcastic reply to yourself :sadsmile:

9 hours ago, VolvoSaab said:

sepulchrave: What I wrote in reply to you was a genuine sincere cordial comment, from your reply I felt that you may possibly have misread what I wrote to be a sarcastic reply to yourself :sadsmile:

Not at all, sarcasm is tricky to convey in writing and there are a LOT of foaming literalists on here, one of whom might have the magic code if you're lucky.

4 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Not at all, sarcasm is tricky to convey in writing and there are a LOT of foaming literalists on here, one of whom might have the magic code if you're lucky.

I hope I am not wrong [again!] in my interpretation of your above reply, but, I liked it and it made me smile!

• Love it! 1

I have attached a VCDS scan log as requested.

[I am aware the log has a plethora of found and reported errors! Ideally all of which would be cleared and not presentbut the involvement and possible ensuing complexity to resolve/rectify may be more trouble than its worth {a–la 'can–of–worms'?? :)} but I leave final judgment call to those much more knowledge/experienced than myself :)]

VCDS Scan Log.txt

The only other :punch: issue with the car is totally random illogical rear wiper one–time operation concurrently with the operation of the starter motor :punch: [sorry that emoticon is supposed to represent profanities ad–infinitum] this is the only other thing that is 'doing my head in' with this car!!

WOW lots of things that the car thinks is there but isnt.........

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
13-Auto Dist. Reg -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
2B-Steer. Col. Lock -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
3C-Lane Change -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
3D-Special Function -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
4B-Multifunc. Module -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100

55-Headlight Range -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
AD-Brake Sensors -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100

Someone has def coded this badly, OR it has had a replacement from another vehicle and was not re-coded.

As I suspected address 13 is why its looking for ACC and that would probably be tied into 44 and 10 as well.

Well I bought it 2nd hand with a genuine low mileage, no rattles, accidents, absolutely brilliant fuel economy i.e. car absolutely sound. Ah so this is where its "used car" has shown itself.

So I guess it'll need some money throwing at it to implement rectification software fixes?

1 hour ago, VolvoSaab said:

Well I bought it 2nd hand with a genuine low mileage, no rattles, accidents, absolutely brilliant fuel economy i.e. car absolutely sound. Ah so this is where its "used car" has shown itself.

So I guess it'll need some money throwing at it to implement rectification software fixes?

Not much, just take it to the dealer and you can get any software updates done at the same time.

I was a bit reticent in taking it to a dealer because I didn't want them to force the EA189 manufacturer service update on me [my car]; either overtly or worse still covertly.

If only VCDS was not written in some riddlic/cryptic/what–you–read–is–exactly–what–it–is–intended–to–mean type english! :angry::angry:.

It appears that none of these modules are fitted to your car:

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist
Address 13: Auto Dist. Reg
Address 2B: Steer. Col. Lock
Address 3C: Lane Change
Address 3D: Special Function
Address 47: Sound System
Address 4B: Multifunc. Module
Address 55: Headlight Range
Address AD: Brake Sensors

For a stating point, I'd remove them from the 'installation list' in the 'CAN gateway'.

This video shows the basics, you'll need to find the above and untick them in the list shown at 2:32.

Once that's done, use the 'Clear all DTSs' button and redo the autoscan :thumbup:

langers2k, I did exactly as you instructed [cliché aside!] but this car [in conjunction with VCDS] does appear to be 'obstinate'!

After the initial please wait screen; after a not too long; but neither too short; waiting time, VCDS reverted back to the list with faults.

20210424_101652.jpg

20210424_102838.jpg

FOTO_20210424_101556.gif