Two techy type questions......

Hello all

For the second time since ownership, the touch screen display isn't there when starting up. It still tunes into the radio station which is Union Jack Dance - What a station! But I am of that age I suppose........ Rave on!! The volume still works but there is only a dull glow along the top of the screen. If the car is locked and left for a while, the screen returns. Is this a common glitch or does it need repair/replacing? I hope not to the latter because the dealership are idiots and it would be a fight to get the work done.

The second query regards a CD player. My dad owns a 15 plate Yeti which he believes has a multi disc CD player somewhere in the back. He has never used it so isn't entirely sure. Can this be transplanted into my Superb? I have read the posts on here regarding the music system and I'm the guy with the record player on the passenger seat lol.

I don't own an SD card nor the means to put my over 300 CDs onto one. I don't have the time or interest to invest in doing so either. The 'black slotty thing' in the glove box is a waste of space to me I want to rip it out......

Many thanks in advance,

Benjum.

The 'black slotty thing' is the infotainment system, rip it out and you will be proper old school... with no radio at all.

As for retro-fitting a multi changer, nothing is impossible but there will be no hardware or wiring etc to make the job easy.

Edited by Gizmo

Essentially a nickname for your head unit's music media player software that let's you browse around albums, called jukebox because of how you page through the albums I guess

18 hours ago, AlVal said:

Essentially a nickname for your head unit's music media player software that let's you browse around albums, called jukebox because of how you page through the albums I guess

Hmmmm, I'm totally lost with the names, software, hardware, upgrades and all that jazz. I wouldn't know what to do or how to do it either. I do know that it would never work again if I tried. Maybe Halfords or someone similar could make it happen for me :unsure:

They couldn’t. If you don’t have a CD player and you really want one, talk to forum member Pab567 and he can prep you a radio that does have a CD drive in it (a MIB2 or 2.5 Columbus) but expect to pay around £900 for a radio unit prepared for your car not including the screen. You can buy many years of Spotify to stream anything you like via SmartLink for that price :)

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

They couldn’t. If you don’t have a CD player and you really want one, talk to forum member Pab567 and he can prep you a radio that does have a CD drive in it (a MIB2 or 2.5 Columbus) but expect to pay around £900 for a radio unit prepared for your car not including the screen. You can buy many years of Spotify to stream anything you like via SmartLink for that price :)

This is a truly absurd situation to me......  Why have an aux port and jack socket and you can't use it?

Smartlinks and spotify ....... I've heard of them but that's about it. I restore tractors, tinker with machinery and can do some stuff on my laptop....... Am I the only one in the world?:biggrin:

1 hour ago, AlVal said:

Pm me a list of your albums. I'll put them on a card for you

It will be a riveting mini novel of my life buddy. The story of a Cornish lad with plenty of drama, heroism, loves lost and found, service to Queen and Country........ A best seller I'm sure! I best get started with the first draft:biggrin:

You are not alone!

Re the slot in the radio (I refuse to call it infotainment), that is probably for a CD or if you are lucky multiple CD's. The basic radio that was in my Yeti could recieve and play one CD at a time via the slot, my neighbour with a higher spec Octavia his one will swallow up to 6 (I think) CD's through the same slot and load them into its stomach somewhere behind the dashboard.

29 minutes ago, Benjum said:

This is a truly absurd situation to me......  Why have an aux port and jack socket and you can't use it?

Smartlinks and spotify ....... I've heard of them but that's about it. I restore tractors, tinker with machinery and can do some stuff on my laptop....... Am I the only one in the world?:biggrin:

I mean you could use a hand held CD player with the Aux line in but you would have the trouble of mounting it somewhere where it is reachable and steady enough not to damage the CD’s while driving. Unfortunately whether we like it or not, CD’s are a thing of the past and digital media is the way forward. The newest Superb’s don’t have an SD slot or Aux line in as those are now old technology, USB-C is the only input on the MIB3. What spec is your Superb?

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I mean you could use a hand held CD player with the Aux line in but you would have the trouble of mounting it somewhere where it is reachable and steady enough not to damage the CD’s while driving. Unfortunately whether we like it or not, CD’s are a thing of the past and digital media is the way forward. The newest Superb’s don’t have an SD slot or Aux line in as those are now old technology, USB-C is the only input on the MIB3. What spec is your Superb?

SE Exec maybe? 150hp with no spare wheel......

Yeah they have the 8 inch screen but an Amundsen, not a Columbus. Only the Columbus has the CD drive and the Jukebox which is a hard drive that you can use to load CD’s directly onto the car so you don’t need to insert them again once saved.

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

@Benjum  And line up a solicitor, as you've made your intentions public! :D

If you're talking about the legality of me helping him get his media on something usb-based, my presumption is that he already owns this media on CD, in which case he's legally entitled to have a backup copy of it. Keeping the cd copy as "backup" and the USB for daily use isn't a stretch of legal interpretation of "backup" there. 

Edited by AlVal

I was going to suggest an aftermarket solution but just realised the small print says it's not compatible with VW cars.  ( wish I knew how to delete posts )

Edited by Guest

the audi Q7 has a cd changer connected to an MIB2 by MOST, I wonder if it could be connected to the skoda MIB2 and coded in..