Help me out - trip meter?

My wife just picked up her new Octavia Mk4 today. We have spent the afternoon and half the evening trying to find how to reset the trip meter. On her previous car (Octy Mk3) it was a simple button below the dash. On the Mk4 we can't find it at all. The paper manual just refers you to the online version, but both are so badly written that it's easier to sit in the car and play with the buttons. I have searched online and cannot find the simple information to tell me how to reset the trip meter to zero. Everything is in the infotainment system, and I'm struggling to understand it. I'm beginning to think there might not be a trip meter function at all. For the record, she has had the Mk3 for 5 years and I have had a Mk3 estate for a year, and we both love them. I've come to the conclusion that the infotainment system on the Mk4 is MUCH worse than on the Mk3, and it seems there are several threads on here saying the same.

Can anyone help? Is there a trip mileage function, such as you might use for fuel calculations or measuring individual journeys? If so, how can we access it? I know there is a 'since refuel' function in the mileage recorder, but that's not what I am asking.

Many thanks.

I have the Columbus Infotainment system in my SE L FE and there are three trip counters - Since Start, Since Refuel, Long Term. On the main screen can swipe from one to the other.

To reset...

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 21.17.36.jpg

Thanks for this, but I am already aware of that. It's the actual trip function, that I have had in every car since I learned to drive in the 70s, that I am looking for - press a button to reset, and measure distance on a tank, between home and destination, or whatever. The Mk3 had one, with a reset button below the dash and a trip display on the screen, but the Mk4 doesn't seem to have this function at all. Or at least, I haven't been able to find it. I can't think of a reason why Skoda would decide to delete a useful function. Thanks for the response, though.

Yeah, see where you’re coming from. Though to be honest it doesn’t bother me as I’d just use the Long-Term memory and reset it before a weekend trip away (when we can do those!) or the Since Start.

I think it’s a function of Skoda moving to the touch-screen world! Lots of things have lost their dedicated button which is a bit of a shame and widely commented in this forum.

Looks like we're out of luck, then. The 'since start', 'since refuel' and 'long-term' are quite useful things to have, but I like having a dedicated trip function that is under my control. I usually reset every time I fill the tank (which I know is covered by the 'since refuel' function), but I also use it for measuring individual journeys sometimes, or the length of a day trip or a holiday. It's just a nice thing to have, and it's a shame that Skoda have decided the car looks tidier without it.

I'm a bit of an analogue person, but when I got my Mk3 I made a real effort to get to grips with the infotainment & displays, and now I am quite happy with them. But the system on the Mk4 seems very unintuitive. We're both fairly intelligent people but figuring out how to have the basic driving info on the dash display, and customising it to what we want rather then what Skoda thinks we want is proving a struggle. It just seems they have made it unnecessarily difficult. No doubt we will get there in time, but I'd rather have something that just worked. I jump in my Mk3 and see the small console display, and I think what a big ugly lump the screen in the Mk4 is.

Thanks for your responses.

I feel your pain with the ‘richness’ of the infotainment system. I moved for a Mk2 Superb which had the then basic Swing radio and a CD player, no SatNav, and basic AirCon

The Mk4 Octavia is a world apart, but after a few weeks am getting to grips with it and I’m sure you will too.

There's lots of helpful people on here too - for example, the other day I 'lost' the odometer, and somebody pointed me in the right direction.

Edited by sneal
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

'Since start', 'since refuel' and 'long-term' are "improvements" and like many such so-called improvements in the digital world (cars, dishwashers, washing machines) the twenty-somethings who design these systems just make matters worse. They have no idea how simple and effective analogue and manual systems were just a few years ago. I still puzzle as to why my car needs to welcome me when I get in and to say goodbye when I switch off. Not to mention the constant pinging from sensors all over the car as I exit the garage and drive out on to the road between brick gate pillars. I've been doing this for 40+ years and never needed sensors before. Ignore it? Easier said than done.

The only suggestion I have RichardB53 is to keep a notebook in the door pocket and note your mileage out and back. Paper - it's been around for centuries and remains a reliable and permanent source of recording.

I've been driving Octavias since seeing them on display at Prague airport in 1998. Always impressed, but not any more. Pity we can't get Ladas and 2CVs these days. Dacia Duster next time...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There's no dedicated trip meter/counter on the MK4 unfortunately. You only get "since start", "since refuel", and "long-term"... The reset is done either within the infotaiment (which can be very user-unfriendly) or via the instrument cluster. The latter is done by the right selector wheel. You need to have the counter you want on the dashboard, then longpress to reset (that's on top of my head, so could be slighlty different, but it's thereabouts...).

Edited by Tishout
  • Like 2

On 03/02/2022 at 11:26, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Not to mention the constant pinging from sensors all over the car as I exit the garage and drive out on to the road between brick gate pillars.

Not denying that trip meter should exist, but parking assist can be disabled...

• Like 1

Why not using the long-term one as a trip function? You reset it when you start your road trip and after a week when you are back home, you check your data and reset it again.

I don't see any other function for the long-term data since they are automatically reset after 99h and 59s or after reaching 9999 km/miles. So it makes it a perfect function to use it as your trip function.

• Like 3

On 03/02/2022 at 09:26, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

'Since start', 'since refuel' and 'long-term' are "improvements" and like many such so-called improvements in the digital world (cars, dishwashers, washing machines) the twenty-somethings who design these systems just make matters worse. They have no idea how simple and effective analogue and manual systems were just a few years ago. I still puzzle as to why my car needs to welcome me when I get in and to say goodbye when I switch off. Not to mention the constant pinging from sensors all over the car as I exit the garage and drive out on to the road between brick gate pillars. I've been doing this for 40+ years and never needed sensors before. Ignore it? Easier said than done.

The only suggestion I have RichardB53 is to keep a notebook in the door pocket and note your mileage out and back. Paper - it's been around for centuries and remains a reliable and permanent source of recording.

I've been driving Octavias since seeing them on display at Prague airport in 1998. Always impressed, but not any more. Pity we can't get Ladas and 2CVs these days. Dacia Duster next time...

I think we'd get on well if we ever met. 2CV is my all-time favourite car.

On 04/02/2022 at 13:14, zetzet said:

Not denying that trip meter should exist, but parking assist can be disabled...

Can it? I haven't tried on the Mk 4, but you can't on my Mk3. There is a 'disable front sensors' option in the software, but all it does is disable them when you are driving forward. if you engage reverse, front and rear sensors are active until you reach the cut-off speed again.

9 minutes ago, RichardB53 said:

Can it? I haven't tried on the Mk 4, but you can't on my Mk3. There is a 'disable front sensors' option in the software, but all it does is disable them when you are driving forward. if you engage reverse, front and rear sensors are active until you reach the cut-off speed again.

My car has a setting for automatic parking assist, you can disable it and it never turns on, you need to click the button to turn on the cam. 

On 02/02/2022 at 22:38, Ahsan said:

i am having same problem with mk3 2018 octavia model. i cannot reset trip. there is no button for it.

Mine is a 2016 Mk 3. The trip reset is between the clocks at the bottom of the dash panel, marked (I think) '0.0'. Easily missed, as it is hidden by the steering wheel centre.

50 minutes ago, zetzet said:

My car has a setting for automatic parking assist, you can disable it and it never turns on, you need to click the button to turn on the cam. 

Ah, OK, Mk 3 and Mk 4 must be different then. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I’ve got. 2-yr old Scala and the whole ‘Infotainment’ system drives me nuts. Ok I’ve been driving a long while but cars are just too techy now: no wonder the battery runs down all the time with repeated stupid messages it keeps pinging at me! Lights that stay on fur she’s when you park etc etc.

plus I’m supposed to be concentrating on the road, not stupid messages that come up, filling the screen in print too small to read! 
Bring back simple cars! I started on a Morris Minor: if the battery was flat, you got the crank handle, a few turns and it burst into life! 

• Love it! 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 04/02/2022 at 21:13, fossman said:

The Driving Data section of the MySkoda app shows me the details of every individual journey I have made (distance, travelling time, average speed and fuel consumption).

Yes, I have that, too on my First Edition.  But I think the data is wiped if the car is switched off for more than 2 hours.  So, if you are on a road trip, and visit a site for a few hours, the distance you have travelled so far will not be there when you return to the car, which is a pain.  I have also seen photos of people's dash board which display the distance travel on the dash itself.  I haven't managed to work out how to have that displayed.

43 minutes ago, Pibo said:

Yes, I have that, too on my First Edition.  But I think the data is wiped if the car is switched off for more than 2 hours.  So, if you are on a road trip, and visit a site for a few hours, the distance you have travelled so far will not be there when you return to the car, which is a pain.  I have also seen photos of people's dash board which display the distance travel on the dash itself.  I haven't managed to work out how to have that displayed.

To display the distance travelled on the dash, push the right steering wheel button, scroll to settings and enable the function. Or, just scroll to the display if it's already enabled.

Edited by Jorgeminator

11 hours ago, Pibo said:

When on a road trip, use the Long Term data. Reset it when you start traveling and you can have cumulative data for the whole trip. 

I also came from a Mk3 to Mk4 and missed the trip reset initially as I used it often for tallying business miles. Now I just use the Since Start and Long term data and as needed. You get much more data as well so actually more useful, I don't miss the trip meter anymore.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jorgeminator said:

To display the distance travelled on the dash, push the right steering wheel button, scroll to settings and enable the function. Or, just scroll to the display if it's already enabled.

Hello.  Someone else on a different thread also suggested this, so I tried it this afternoon.  Nothing!  I scrolled through the whole lot, but to display the trip distance on the virtual cockpit wasn't one of the options.  Perhaps my model doesn't have it, which I find frustrating and odd.  Wouldn't you think that's basic info when driving?   I thought my car was quite well equipped being a First Edition with electronic adjustable seats, etc.

• 8 months later...

I am not sure if you solved this issue, but I have found the solution. Go to car: setup: instrument cluster: reset trip recorder in instrument cluster

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Haha, just picked up on this thread.

I've had 2 diesel Octavia Estates and have just picked up my third,  a 2022 petrol model. My distress at the changes for the worse is such that I've re-connected with the Briskoda community and I can see that I am not alone. That gives me a sense of relief. New and digital does not mean better, IMHO!

As has been said, previously resetting the trip meter was a quick one-push analogue action and not a multi-touch screen search - though I've yet to see if the suggestions actually work.

It's the little things that are annoying: an expensive enough motor, but now without first aid kit or warning triangle, and nowhere to stow them when I add them. The stowage pods in the rear are gone - I had mine quite full with oil, tie-straps, spares bulbs, etc. Now there's nowhere to stow stuff 🙄 

I also thought that electric fold-in door mirrors would be standard at this price point, but no! 

Most surprisingly is that the 1.5 petrol engine lacks the punch of the 1.4 Seat I drove recently. Compared to my 2.0 diesel it's rather disappointing 😒 My fault for accepting a very short test drive (in traffic) coz it was very low on fuel. I kinda thought "it's another Octavia, it'll be fine..." More fool me!