Sportline on the way

Wonder what the performance of this will be like? Will it be a cheaper vRS?

2.0 TSI 190 with 4 wheel drive, that says to me 0-60 faster than the vRS, if you compare it with the equivalent A3 190 4 wheel drive that hits 60 in 6.2 seconds??

Ooh, it will be interesting to see what specs it comes out with and what the differences are. Article suggests it can come with DCC as an add on, standard 17" wheels (18/19 optional), 3 spoke steering wheel, sporty seats etc. 

Having just read the Auto Express article I’d be very surprised if they made a Sportline that’s quicker to 60 than the vRS? 
Makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skodev said:

Having just read the Auto Express article I’d be very surprised if they made a Sportline that’s quicker to 60 than the vRS? 

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

What are Audi doing to make their A3 so fast with what appears to be the same setup?

13 minutes ago, ItalianJob said:

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

What are Audi doing to make their A3 so fast with what appears to be the same setup?

Audi can afford to do it as they have the S3 / RS3 as performance range toppers. 

'2.0 TSI 190 with 4 wheel drive' -  Sounds like a decent amount of go although this one will probably be fairly expensive. Makes no difference to me though - another promising sounding spec ruined by DSG - Looks like no manual option other than on the 1.5 TSI. I'm very happy for DSG fans they have no end of options but in the dying days of the internal combustion engine it would be nice to be allowed three pedals and a manual gearbox - the way things are meant to be.

1 hour ago, 24Lemons said:

That’s annoying. Had this been announced two months ago I would have ordered one rather than the 1.5tsi. Oh well. 

Always the way. I'd have put leather seats in my vRS but I'm impatient 🤣

On 10/04/2021 at 12:53, Skodev said:

Car Wow included these comments: The new Sportline is also offered with a 190hp 2.0-litre petrol engine that isn’t available on lower-spec models all-wheel-drive and a seven-speed automatic DSG gearbox can be paired with the top engine offerings.

I have this engine in my Mark 3 SEL estate. Since it's 4x4 it is slightly quicker than a FWD VRS to 60mph. 

Edited by Sweephand
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sweephand said:

Car Wow included these comments: The new Sportline is also offered with a 190hp 2.0-litre petrol engine that isn’t available on lower-spec models all-wheel-drive and a seven-speed automatic DSG gearbox can be paired with the top engine offerings.

I have this engine in my Mark 3 SEL estate. Since it's 4x4 it is slightly quicker than a FWD VRS to 60mph. 

Hi Sweephand. Are you in the UK? I wasn’t aware the UK market had a four wheel drive petrol option? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The car press announced it a couple of days ago @Skodev, looks like there will be a petrol 4x4 in sportline trim; kind of like R-line for VW or whatever the sporty looking trim is for Audi. Usually these trims are just shows bits like seats and minor body tweaks, but 4x4 and petrol TSI in 190 form is quite attractive

18 minutes ago, Aarond said:

The car press announced it a couple of days ago @Skodev, looks like there will be a petrol 4x4 in sportline trim; kind of like R-line for VW or whatever the sporty looking trim is for Audi. Usually these trims are just shows bits like seats and minor body tweaks, but 4x4 and petrol TSI in 190 form is quite attractive

No doubt mate, I’m just questioning the wisdom of Skoda having a non vRS model that’s quicker to 60 than the vRS. Commercially it makes little sense and could seriously damage vRS sales. I’ve read the press releases and they say it’s happening. But that doesn’t alter my opinion that commercially it’s an odd direction for them to take in the UK market. No other brands undercut their performance models in that way. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure. vRS also sells really well in the UK market, I read a stat ages ago ... can't find it now, second covid jab making me fuzzy is my excuse! 

5 hours ago, Skodev said:

Must be like hens teeth those bad boys. Well done for snagging one. 👍🏼👍🏼

Thanks - I was very pleased to get it since it was the only 4x4 petrol within my budget at the time.  Got a great discount through an on-line broker too (who has since gone into administration!)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skodev said:

Must be like hens teeth those bad boys. Well done for snagging one. 👍🏼👍🏼

I seem to recall there's only around 30 registered in the country. I'll have to check the latest figures later this month.

There's not *that* many of the Octavia MK3 190 2WDs either, but about 10x more than the 4WD version.

10 minutes ago, EnterName said:

I seem to recall there's only around 30 registered in the country. I'll have to check the latest figures later this month.

There's not *that* many of the Octavia MK3 190 2WDs either, but about 10x more than the 4WD version.

Rare commodities indeed. 😎

11 hours ago, Skodev said:

I would love to see full details of the criteria for inlet valve timing changes on that Gen 3B Budack engine.

There seems to be quite a dearth of information of the variable valve timing on the Budack. (I don't know how much there is available on the outlet VVT for the VRS cars, but I haven't been looking, tbh.)

All I've seen is that when the Budack engine is "under load" the valve timing changes from economical early valve closing to full duration valve opening.

I've been wondering about remaps that change the VVT characteristics, so that driving on "Economy" mode locks the cam into early closing mode and inhibits full duration opening unless the kickdown throttle switch is set, and driving in "sport" mode locks the cam in full duration mode and inhibits early closing mode, with normal driving mode switching freely between the two modes according to engine load. Should be a fairly harmless mod as no additional power is being wrung out of the engine.

I wonder if any tuner has done that?

12 hours ago, Skodev said:

I would have thought there'd be quite a few of the 190's. Isn't it the same engine as in the Superb Sportlines - and there's loads of them ?

I had an Octavia 190 DSG. I thought the engine was excellent in terms of the balance between performance and economy. 60 in 7 secs ,so how much quicker with 4WD?

2 hours ago, ItalianJob said:

I would have thought there'd be quite a few of the 190's. Isn't it the same engine as in the Superb Sportlines - and there's loads of them ?

I had an Octavia 190 DSG. I thought the engine was excellent in terms of the balance between performance and economy. 60 in 7 secs ,so how much quicker with 4WD?

Not sure mate. 
I’m referring to the petrol 4x4 not the 2wd. ✌🏼

2 hours ago, ItalianJob said:

The 190ps petrol was only available, for a short while, in SEL and L&K trim, unlike the Superb there was no Sportline version. The 4x4 version 0-60 is 6.6 seconds.

22 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

There was - very briefly- a MK3 Octavia Sportline.  Can’t remember he engine choices.  About 3 people bought one.

🤣🤣🤣