How-to: DCC Recalibration

thought I'd share something I learnt recently.  tried it, and its worthwhile.

this is intended for those with DCC shocks and have lowered springs.  

I've got Eibach ProKit Springs, which has dropped the car 25mm.

this procedure recalibrates the DCC, and is recommended to be done after the car has been lowered.

the end result is a more refined "bounce" and a reduction of bottoming-out (in Comfort and Normal modes).

while the change is not night & day difference, u can certainly feel the DCC rides better now with the lowered springs. 

u'll need:-

- to make sure to jack your ur up, or lift it, so that all 4 wheels are sagging fully, off the ground

- an OBDEleven tool  (NOTE: this CANNOT be done with VCDS)

Go to Control Module 14 - Adaptive Suspension

Enter security code 20103

Go to Adaptations

Select “Adapting with deflected wheels

Take note of the values, as they should change later.

Don’t change anything, instead back out

Enter Basic Settings

Select “Adapting with deflected wheels

Slide to Start or Press & hold Green tick to Start.  It should run for a second and then say something like basic setting ended.

That’s it, you’re done. Double check adaptations to make sure the values have changed and saved.

1404960760_DCC00.thumb.jpg.d566a240a60e3f9d5bdbb1a558eaba24.jpg

307365491_DCC01.thumb.jpg.587cd7b4832f719b12e508a25b950234.jpg

1882538951_DCC02.thumb.jpg.b9ba39fa9b2d11e37a6facd57f0a6d29.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tried to do this yesterday on my 2019 but I was getting an error like "incorrect sequence" or similar when selecting "Adapting with deflected wheels" from the basic settings.  I assumed Ignition ON, Engine OFF?

2 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Tried to do this yesterday on my 2019 but I was getting an error like "incorrect sequence" or similar when selecting "Adapting with deflected wheels" from the basic settings.  I assumed Ignition ON, Engine OFF?

Hmmm, not sure wat is happening there.

Did u enter the security code, then go to adaptations, then check adapting deflected values first, then back out (to module 14) and then go to perform basic settings?

Yes, ignition off, but ACC on.

.....and ur using OBDEleven yeah?

Just an update after having the recalibration done a week ago now.

The car rides so much better now.  If only I had known about this much much earlier.

The car is less crashy. Previously with the lowered springs, the DCC shocks were not ideally matched, and hence it would crash/bottom-out on speed humps or dips, especially in Normal or Comfort modes.

After recalibrating, the DCC shocks r better behaved with the shorter springs.

I don't have to, anymore, put the car in Sport setting for Suspension.

Really happy with it.

Edited by JR RS

Damn you have me intrigued into going back to the car lift now and try again, I entered the adaptations and tried to do it without having entered the code, then it threw an error. I then went back and entered it but maybe it needed to reset by starting all over?!

On 25/04/2021 at 23:48, newbie69 said:

Damn you have me intrigued into going back to the car lift now and try again, I entered the adaptations and tried to do it without having entered the code, then it threw an error. I then went back and entered it but maybe it needed to reset by starting all over?!

others have had similar issues, but with persistence, have ended up being successful.

maybe, instead of going to Adaptations, u can enter the security code and go straight into Basic Settings and try running the calibration "Adapting with deflected wheels".

reason for going to Adaptations is to capture the "before" values, so u can compare.   if u've already got that, no need to go into again.  go straight to Basic Settings.

On 25/04/2021 at 23:48, newbie69 said:

i had same problems when doing it. Just keep trying to put in the security code at first or when it pops out, can't remember when i typed in

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, has anyone got the tools to do this in Hampshire/Surrey? Would happily pay for your time.

I have Bilstein B6 on the front and standard on the rear currently but the car is 5 years old and has been taken apart so could probably benefit from being calibrated even though it's not lowered.

Thanks

I succesfully carried out the adaptation after a 2nd try, but I honestly wouldn't be able to tell there was a difference between before/after if I didn't specifically know about it, your mileage may vary though.

Edited by newbie69

17 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I succesfully carried out the adaptation after a 2nd try, but I honestly wouldn't be able to tell there was a difference between before/after if I didn't specifically know about it, your mileage may vary though.

Bugger, that's a shame.

I can definitely feel the difference with mine now.  

Prior to that I had DCC set to Sports all the time, except when driving on long highways/freeways, then I'd use Comfort or Normal.

Now my DCC is always on Normal setting. I hardly use Sports.

I can notice the difference going over the same speed humps and same undulating roads. It's far less bouncy and far more composed.

Maybe the difference is more pronounced on non-Sportline DCC shocks, compared to Sportline DCC shocks.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Stunner said:

Hey There,

Could someone comolete this with VCDS, heard in another forum to be done with ODIS which saying same should work with VCDS, not?

Vcds is an aftermarket tool made by a few developers, odis is the main dealer diagnostic tool which will do everything if you know how.

just cause odis can do it doesn’t mean vcds will.

Have you tried asking on the vcds forums with a full auto scan and a log of attempting it, they should be able to help - as long as it’s genuine vcds

7 hours ago, Stunner said:

Hey There,

Could someone comolete this with VCDS, heard in another forum to be done with ODIS which saying same should work with VCDS, not?

from all the forums/research i've read in the past on the DCC re-calibration - some people have had success with OBDElevenODIS definitely can do it.  VCDS is not able to do it.
why?  it is not known why.

i had success using my OBDEleven.

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

from all the forums/research i've read in the past on the DCC re-calibration - some people have had success with OBDElevenODIS definitely can do it.  VCDS is not able to do it.
why?  it is not known why.

i had success using my OBDEleven.

Alright, means the easiest way to self manage this will be to order an Obd11 👍Thanks

Hey Guys,

Have received my OBD11 today, not yet adapted as need to jack it up))

But the option is available, checked to read values while standing(pic attached)..

As well as there's one more, which I don't exactly know in fact but from the logic is to teach DCC how is mostly loaded the car "Constant current loading mode" has someone checked that (pic attached) ?

Screenshot_20220724-184552.png

Screenshot_20220724-191148.png

1 hour ago, Stunner said:

As well as there's one more, which I don't exactly know in fact but from the logic is to teach DCC how is mostly loaded the car "Constant current loading mode" has someone checked that (pic attached) ?

I haven't heard of that one before.

Nor have I seen it discussed.

Did completed re-calibration today. So here long feedback comes.

It was required because packed totally new OEM DCC set (shock absorbers, coil springs, repair mounting kit, anti roll bar links and bushes) that becuase fabric ones dead with oil blow after c.a. 150000km.... recommend using comfort mode moderately or not at high speed to avoid drastic drops...  Is what mechanic said🤷‍♂️

Also found interesting thing, the % values in Adaptation: Adapting with deflected wheels, are stored fixed, logic not(?))), but how Understood that, was to measure them 4 time, with and without adapted - while leveled up and standing. (Attached pics)

That values are stored as base, which will reflect on power delivery adjustment when changing different DCC modes, this can be checked while running live test with sensors and drive.

Seems like rear right use default values making others reflect on it, maybe because fuel tank position, that sensor also shows available while others not possible in live data info, and it will not change after recalibration, or different way stored or somthing still to learn.

So, after adaptation, already made couple hundred km on highway, as well urban routes, same day)))..

There is difference YES even with OEM new pack, but many people saying/thinking see no issue no need to, so it's a big big miss if use low spring and not recalibrate !!!

As you can see on pics small % diferences but it results in more clearance and soft Comfort mode, while Normal mode has much predictions mean becomes ideal option, for the Sport gained even more hardness controll.

After discussion with dealer, they communicated that DCC calibration must be completed after any suspension works, and no way to use it without because reflects on wheel alignment (front / rear), ACC and lights too, all together to be adjusted, not cheap at all, but then you get the right feeling.

The DCC recalibration may be required twice, because when aligning steering/wheels the arms will push a bit the whole construction at least on rear side, so it's a complex procedure of couple hours, then having wheel aligned and DCC calibrated, it's time to proceed with beam lights and ACC adjustment. 

Good if found a shop with all tools, else run across city, usually only dealer will have all this at one place.

Screenshot_20220726-164126_1.png

Screenshot_20220726-161821_1.png

Screenshot_20220726-161522_1.png

Screenshot_20220724-184552_1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Stunner good to hear u were able to get the DCC recalibration done on urs, and its made a difference.

with regards to the level sensors - there r only 3 sensors - front left/right and rear left.   these r located next to the control arms.

there is no rear right, which is why its deflected value doesn't change from 33%.

the DCC shocks determine the voltage required (for the valve control) based on these 3x level control sensors. 

each DCC mode (comfort, normal, sport) has its own mapping algorithm, combined with the input values from the level sensors, to determine the dampening level.

with regards to the "theory" behind how/why its done, this is the info i found:-

The calibration is done with all four wheels off the ground, so the DCC module stores the fully extended value of the sensors.

Once the car is back on the ground the DCC module stores a "center" value. This part doesn't require using any of the various coding tools so possibly the module learns this value over a few power cycles or maybe just the first time that it's back on the ground.

From that point it's able to do its thing based on the position of the level sensors, the accelerometers and your selected mode.

With recalibration done, the DCC module will interpret your lower ride height (from installing springs) as suspension compression, albeit mild, and slightly stiffen all four corners, at all times. Depending on the drop this might not be significant. 

DCC will only allow you to run calibration (basic settings) with the suspension fully extended.

It will only run if the level sensors are in the proper range. They should be when the suspension is extended. You can check each sensor (front left/right and left rear) in measuring blocks for a value that says calibration available (or something like that). It will say possible or not possible. All three need to say possible or else the basic settings won't run.

Just because all the wheels are off the ground doesn't mean the values are within limits.

it is necessary that the raw values are between the limits 1 and the limits 2 in rebound for each wheel except rear right which does not have a level sensor

I don't know the actual full range for the sensors but let's call it 0 - 100. The DCC module expects each sensor to be within a certain range (with the wheels hanging) in order to perform the basic settings (calibration). As an example, let's say it expects a value between 20 - 40. If any sensor is not in that range it will not perform the calibration. In this example all of the sensor should read between 20 - 40 when the wheels are hanging. But if a sensor is broken (could be bent, broken, internally failed, wiring issue, improperly mounted, whatever) it may read a value that is out of that range. Having much shorter suspension (say coil overs set to their lowest) could also cause the value to be out of range (shorter strut means lower control arm doesn't hang down as far). So if the arm of the left front sensor on this example car was bent, it may read a value of 45 with the wheels hanging. That is out of the expected range, so calibration will not work.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

So good explained ! Once again thanks making this available.

But as you mentioned, there's missing exact info on the logic how/when the DCC controller will register the middle position after lifted recalibration.

I mean when the car is being lifted back to the ground the suspension teke a letter V position for the thres, and the rubber doesn't allow the car to be fully standing in the ground for about 1-2cm untill we roll it a bit front back, or drive. 

So there possible theories for the DCC controller storing new data:

1. After calibration will measure a medium for the middle position in couple cycles while driving

2. After calibration, the unit activate time dependency controller on which the car must be deiven for a while

3. The values are stored once on the moment when lowerd down and the middle point is reached, !! If that is the case then bad news, as mentioned above the suspension will not fully stand, shich means then that calibration must be done not with full leveled suspension but a bit before when wheels(tyres) are still 90 degrees angle to the ground, that also persume to have logic because by manufacturing full extended shock absorber is to be avoided for damage, plus no body drives with full extended suspension till wheel on the air not even on broken streets, but with maximum extended suspension and wheels still touching ground

I don't have a lift available for free, else I could test the logic and see if differences while driving. Hope is interesting and someone can consider this logic, or maybe dealer friend can say the secret 🤗

And then one more open question, bit other subject but related:

- how exactly the wheel must be aligned? Mean, my car could not be aligned many multibrand shops, even having respected tyre pressure, fuel tank full, no extra loads etc..., the open question is as they positioning the steering and taking measured with engine turned off, which is wrong, because electro servomotor for steering hydraulics, and the gas/oil compression made by internal electric valve on the shockabsorbers, assume that having this with and without power will give different results, because again we will not drive with powersteering off and DCC valves disconnected, I'm bit right or not?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

tried DCC recalibration today but got error "Incorrect sequence" ... I checked live values and found out this on rear right suspension state - do you think it's dead ? 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.5cfe358572f4945055fba612e1414603.jpeg

...adapted values seems to be OK...

image.thumb.jpeg.7a55850883ec5ed3ec06cc89429ba210.jpeg

Thank you

Ignore that because *rear right has no sensor* rear only having sensor on the left and front both sides

Make sure you do follow instruction properly, assume you trying to calibrate on the wrong menu

7 hours ago, sharkys said:

Hi,

tried DCC recalibration today but got error "Incorrect sequence" ... I checked live values and found out this on rear right suspension state - do you think it's dead ? 😉

read the posts above!!

as already mentioned by @Stunner - there is no right rear sensor, hence no readings/values.

that's normal.

as for the incorrect sequence error u need to follow the steps properly.

summarised version:-

- adapting with deflected wheels acknowledgement

- run basic settings for adapting with deflected wheels

- done

ensure all 4 wheels r suspended simultaneously, and must b within range.