Tow Bar Fixed or Detachable

Highlander19

I am planning getting a tow bar on my Yeti, and once again have come to the font of all knowledge that is this forum. 

Should I go for a fixed or a detachable option.

Have any members got any preference and what are the pros and cons of both in your experience.

As usual, any information gratefully received.

Had both.
Fixed:
You bang your shins if you aren't careful.
Always available.
Convenient.

Removeable:
Tidier.
You don't walk into it.
Need to get on your knees to fit it.
Quite heavy.
Have been known to get jammed.

• Like 2

As above. Removeable also generally a bit more expensive. Whatever you decide PF Jones have a good reputation and please go for the vehicle specific dedicated wiring harness.

Colin

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Had both.
Fixed:
You bang your shins if you aren't careful.
Always available.
Convenient.

Removeable:
Tidier.
You don't walk into it.
Need to get on your knees to fit it.
Quite heavy.
Have been known to get jammed.

Removable!! I hit my shin on my fixed towball and ended up in a local hospital for the day, (after driving miles to find one) stitches, bruising and shock.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'd support the detachable version ... the shin crack is very painful .... only downside is the detachable is no protection the the presence of the sh1** head parkers ... 

I actually had a neighbours visitor came to my door to complain they had cracked their number plate on my towbar .... quickly despatched with a few choice words, note of their registration and examination of any Yeti damage. 

• Like 2

Thule VeloSpace XT 2 Cycle CarrierI was planning getting a bike carrier, and this one was recommended by a colleague, for carrying 2 electric bikes, anyone got any other suggestions. This is the main reason for getting the towbar.

Also contemplating a micro caravan like a GO Pod or similar. Retirement looming

Off-Grid/Off Hook-Up Camping - The Go-Pod Micro Tourer Caravan - www.Go-Pods.co.uk  - YouTube

3 hours ago, Highlander19 said:

Thule VeloSpace XT 2 Cycle CarrierI was planning getting a bike carrier, and this one was recommended by a colleague, for carrying 2 electric bikes, anyone got any other suggestions. This is the main reason for getting the towbar.

Also contemplating a micro caravan like a GO Pod or similar. Retirement looming

Off-Grid/Off Hook-Up Camping - The Go-Pod Micro Tourer Caravan - www.Go-Pods.co.uk  - YouTube

I have a towbar for towing my caravan, but I also use it for carrying my ebike using a Thule Easyfold XT2

1552052345_IMG_0163copy.thumb.jpeg.619e09de8afa0c9f11f93d876b368c60.jpeg

If you decide to go with a detachable then look for a Westfalia towbar. These were fitted to Yeti's as factory fit so are compatible with the foam cutouts in the boot and sit correctly with the bumper cut out.

• Like 1

@Highlander19. I have the Thule carrier you posted.  It is very heavy. So be aware just how heavy when putting on to the ball. Also for moving when off the car.   The rack is not long (wide) enough for my own bikes which are XL frames and they have Fat Bike Wheels and tyres or Plus size tyres.  The straps are in the wrong place as and not long enough.  There are extras available. Extensions for the wheel rails  longer straps and even a wheel for moving the rack. Ok for regular size electric bikes.  There are cheaper options that are as good though.   Edit. I bumped a thread on the Thule Rack in the Health Hub section of Briskoda.

DSCN3595.JPG.a83684066146107dc2a6813a744b2eb4.jpeg

DSCN3573.JPG.50d4f3f3592d2aff3c75b64b17a77bbc.JPG.3950bbd82ec488e790999d022295d9e1.jpeg

DSCN3587.JPG.e1593b9ac35822bdd1d5b454745905e3 (1).JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

Strange.  I have that rack (Thule Velospace XT) and my 125cm wheelbase (pretty slack geometry) eMTB with semi-fat 2.8" tyres (Nobby Nics, like yours) fits just fine using the supplied straps.

The straps are intended to pull inwards on the wheels, not straight down through the contact point like on most of their roof-mounted carriers.  You're supposed to rotate the ratchets so that the straps pull radially on the wheel rims.

I can't see wheel rail extensions for the Velospace XT on the Thule web site (they do sell an additonal rail and clamp bar to allow a third bike to be carried).

I agree it's a tad weighty - as you say, Thule do sell a wheel that fits under the rack to make it easy to move around - but I can still get it on and off my Yeti's (removable) towball single-handed without much bother.

This seems like a topic with people who know certain things... How does the detachable tow bar come off? Manual says that instructions are provided with the tow bar itself. That was 11 years ago. 

I tried all kinds of friendly moves when I changed to summer tyres but I didn't want to resort to violence yet. I'd hate to break something just because I'm twisting it wrong way somehow. 

Hi, the Westfalia one is the key is inserted and turned to unlock, the knurled knob is twisted in the direction of the arrows ... green to red, and the towbar hook, simply pulls down to detach ... sure all other detachable bars are similar.

Check the instruction on-line at the manufacturers website.

Edited by TruckbusUK
  • Like 1

That makes sense. I guess I need to have that key then. 

No wonder the towbar looks like it has been there for last 5 years, probably the previous owner didn't had the key either.