Is any Octavia MK4 without fault?

Gax

I know that, like any forum, this place and this topic is a bit of a void....i.e. people are generally here discussing this solely because they have problems with their MK4. So there might be thousands of people out there loving their MK4 and not got a single problem with it, hence they aren't here talking about it.

On the basis several of us are seeking to return our cars, some have their car on order but are wary, and some are trying to make a decision, can I ask does anyone know as fact that these are a bad run of isolated vehicles that were produced (possibly early/mid 2020) and not ALL MK4's have problems?

If I returned me SE First Edition, is it safe to swap for another SE First Edition as long as it is a recent build?

Should I trade upwards? Or do higher models have the same issues? I think mine has had every issue possible now, bar KPH/MPH, yet for some it is the only issue reported.

Surely not every single MK4 on the planet has an issue? Or do they?

Are we better to leave Octavia and/or Skoda behind altogether?

Edited by Gax

We already have a similar thread.

My RS TSI was build in November 2020 and has a device part number ending with E and I don't have any major issues. Only occasional laggy infotainment system for the first minute or so.

I don't know anymore that I'd accept a laggy infotainment to be honest.

If I'm buying a car I want to set the radio and heating controls etc when I start the engine, not sitting for one minute and then doing it.

Looks like all this nonsense about the car having to login is such a major cause of many of these issues. It is so unecessary really, I couldn't care less about user profiles. It is a car, you're meant to be driving it !!

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

According to every dealer,  No MK4 octavia has an issue and mine is the first time they seen these problems.  Utter BS.  Whilst I accept software has its glitches, it should be the exception not the norm.  

Worst car buying and owning experience I’ve ever had. 

16 minutes ago, Ajdude said:

According to every dealer,  No MK4 octavia has an issue and mine is the first time they seen these problems.  Utter BS.  Whilst I accept software has its glitches, it should be the exception not the norm.  

Worst car buying and owning experience I’ve ever had. 

Having had 2 prev Skodas , Superb and and VRS. I have never had a problem till now. I must say my dealer have been exceptional and its not their fault that they have to deal with so many Octys in this state. Im sure they are lobbying Skoda UK and this problem will get solved. 

14 minutes ago, Greezy56 said:

Having had 2 prev Skodas , Superb and and VRS. I have never had a problem till now. I must say my dealer have been exceptional and its not their fault that they have to deal with so many Octys in this state. Im sure they are lobbying Skoda UK and this problem will get solved. 

Thanks.  I’m sure it’s frustrating for the dealers to have this issue, though I do feel that having bought an ex demo which was exhibiting these problems that the dealer knowingly choose to sell the vehicle.  They should have taken it off the market and lobbied Skoda UK rather than customers having to it.  

I’m hopeful it will get resolved.  

• Like 1

I've got the ball (hopefully) rolling on mine going back, but my next issue is what car is next. I still want an Octavia, hence creating this thread. Problem is, you don't hear from people on the internet when they are happy! I've literally not seen a single MK4 on the road since buying mine, so it's not like there's an abundance of them where I can sidle up to the owner at a petrol station and quiz them about their car.

I bought an Octavia because I wanted an Octavia. Surely not every Octavia built since the MK4 relaunch is problematic.

Skoda know this is a major problem, they can't still be rolling cars off the production line day after day that don't work can they?

I'm not of the opinion that this will all 'get resolved' to be honest, not through dealer visits and software updates anyway. Whatever it is, be it just software, or a mixture non-compatibility between hardware, software, wiring, other, there is something fundamentally wrong with these cars and they shouldn't be on the road. Someone will end up being injured or killed with all the weird stuff going, I mean we have people talking about their cars hitting the brakes as they think there is an object in front of them.

It would be nice if an insider had a bit of info to share, and whether we should even be considering a replacement (and if so, what build dates are acceptable, what hardware spec etc) so a decision can be made if a replacement is offered. It's a bit pointless going down the replacement route if we all just receive an identical spec model built at the same time, and end up rejecting the replacement for the same issues.

Edited by Gax

49 minutes ago, janis said:

i have not had a single issue yet, my car was built end of march, rs dsg.

Hi Janis ,Your car being a left hand drive  Euro spec prob  takes away issues that we UK people are having such as the ACC sensing cars in the inside lane and reacting . Im glad you don't have any problems and would be good to know others experience from other European countries. I know a guy from Sweden on this forum and he has had loads of problems

So far I’ve only had one issue. On a drive the head unit rebooted, the screen went black for 2-3 seconds and then a message appeared saying would I like to continue with the guidance, I clicked yes and it was normal again. Other than that the parking sensors are a bit slow to activate but that’s it - To be fair I’ve not driven it as much as I would usually but done a good few journeys. 
That’s on an SE Tech 1.0 E-Tec

My assistant Laura its dead. Say loading but nothing happens. When I get the car in January 14 work but now after several update OTA not work. Few other minor error regarding different assist when is snowing or rain.In rest no issue just long waiting to boot and to change settings every time. Revert to normal and the sound its awful .The previous Octavia III VRS diesel was nothing with this one regarding sound generator.To much for me. 

16 minutes ago, marmex said:

My assistant Laura its dead. Say loading but nothing happens. When I get the car in January 14 work but now after several update OTA not work. Few other minor error regarding different assist when is snowing or rain.In rest no issue just long waiting to boot and to change settings every time. Revert to normal and the sound its awful .The previous Octavia III VRS diesel was nothing with this one regarding sound generator.To much for me. 

What language are you having set for the infotainment system? It was the same for me when I got the car. The infotainment system was set to Slovene language which is not supported by Laura. When I switched to English it started to work. 

I know! Its in English. Always I keep in English also my phone. The translation in my language its stupid some time and I not understand what want to say. I mean when you press the button not load .Thanks

• Sad 1

Tempting fate here, but with the grand total of 25 miles on the clock since picking the car up yesterday, so far all is good!

I sat in the car for a couple of hours working out how stuff works. So now have customised home screen that doesn't have the map on it.

Skoda Connect has worked fine - a bit annoyed that I had to create a profile for my wife as well, but that's a one-off. As soon as I was connected, an OTA update came through. Have hardware version ending D.

Android Auto connects wirelessly with my own phone (Samsung A50) - it just did it, no setting up required. Wife's Moto E6 needs plugging in though.

The 1.5 engine is so much smoother than the same engine in my previous car. No kangarooing at low speeds. No longer do I have to consciously dip the clutch to avoid the jerks!

On the M1/M62 coming back from Leeds, the ACC felt the same as my previous Octy. Certainly didn't seem to be over zealous with slower traffic on my right when I was in my exit lane. I felt the lane assist once or twice, but it wasn't as harsh as that on an Insignia I hired. Haven't tried it on smaller roads yet though.

So plenty of time for niggles to appear, but already better than my previous 2018 1.5 SE Tech, which had the kangaroo as well as a dashboard rattle from day one which never got solved.

Fingers crossed it stays this way...

25 minutes ago, just music said:

Tempting fate here, but with the grand total of 25 miles on the clock since picking the car up yesterday, so far all is good!

I sat in the car for a couple of hours working out how stuff works. So now have customised home screen that doesn't have the map on it.

Skoda Connect has worked fine - a bit annoyed that I had to create a profile for my wife as well, but that's a one-off. As soon as I was connected, an OTA update came through. Have hardware version ending D.

Android Auto connects wirelessly with my own phone (Samsung A50) - it just did it, no setting up required. Wife's Moto E6 needs plugging in though.

The 1.5 engine is so much smoother than the same engine in my previous car. No kangarooing at low speeds. No longer do I have to consciously dip the clutch to avoid the jerks!

On the M1/M62 coming back from Leeds, the ACC felt the same as my previous Octy. Certainly didn't seem to be over zealous with slower traffic on my right when I was in my exit lane. I felt the lane assist once or twice, but it wasn't as harsh as that on an Insignia I hired. Haven't tried it on smaller roads yet though.

So plenty of time for niggles to appear, but already better than my previous 2018 1.5 SE Tech, which had the kangaroo as well as a dashboard rattle from day one which never got solved.

Fingers crossed it stays this way...

That's a great endorsement and definitely what I want to hear!

Although with only 25 miles under it's belt....nah, I'll not say it hahaha!

What spec have you got may I ask please?

Also, any ideas about when it rolled off the production line etc?

38 minutes ago, just music said:

Hi, SE-L, produced 1st week of January. It was a stock car which was kept for me until the lease on my current one expired.

Great stuff.

It looks like I am headed down the route of a replacement, which is great for me as I love the Octy. So yeah good news if newer builds aren't exhibiting issues.

Mine is an SE First Edition, so not entirely like for like with yours, but I can't imagine there are vast disparities with how the software operates.

Thanks.

On 20/04/2021 at 08:55, Gax said:

I know that, like any forum, this place and this topic is a bit of a void....i.e. people are generally here discussing this solely because they have problems with their MK4. So there might be thousands of people out there loving their MK4 and not got a single problem with it, hence they aren't here talking about it.

On the basis several of us are seeking to return our cars, some have their car on order but are wary, and some are trying to make a decision, can I ask does anyone know as fact that these are a bad run of isolated vehicles that were produced (possibly early/mid 2020) and not ALL MK4's have problems?

If I returned me SE First Edition, is it safe to swap for another SE First Edition as long as it is a recent build?

Should I trade upwards? Or do higher models have the same issues? I think mine has had every issue possible now, bar KPH/MPH, yet for some it is the only issue reported.

Surely not every single MK4 on the planet has an issue? Or do they?

Are we better to leave Octavia and/or Skoda behind altogether?

I am in just this position, and am wondering the same. Do I accept a replacement. I am tempted to stipulate that I will only accept a very newly produced car.

I'm told that sourcing a 100% guaranteed non-defective replacement will be the crucial part, which I am taking/hoping as meaning a wait for a new build to come off the line.

It surely can't mean trying every Octavia in stock for the UK market until they find one that 'works', although I can't say at this stage that isn't their plan either.

I honestly don't know right now, but it would be pointless either side going through the rigmarole of agreeing a new car, only for me to find a week after pick-up that it has the same issues.

12 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

You won't get a new build First Edition... by definition they are the first run cars.

37 minutes ago, just music said:

You won't get a new build First Edition... by definition they are the first run cars.

I've been wondering about that actually, as the Skoda website still has the First Edition as an avaiable spec, so they presumably have stock leftover.

@TheUltraRunner 

I check and you have right! I think last update change automatically language because I share my location :blink:.I not notice because the menu its still in English(not translated in my language).So I change back to English and work. Your question made me wander if the language is in English.So now no issue for the moment(no snow or ice).No other error.Thanks man! 

Octavia iV+, bought aprox. one month ago from dealers stock. Seems to have been produced around November last year.
The car in itself is fine. Hybrid system works flawlessly. No major issues with assistant systems, incl. ACC so far.
However:
No wireless AA. But AA works fine when phone is plugged in, so I have sort of accepted that.
What I have not accepted, though, is numerous bugs in the Infotainment system, such as: unexpected reboots, sometimes no connection to Skoda Connect, sometimes no picture from rear camera, attempt to play music from USB-key makes the system reboot, etc., etc.......
The errors are a daily experience, and instead of enjoying my new car, it has become a source of aggravation :-( 

• Like 1