Is any Octavia MK4 without fault?

Gax

Well mine went in this week and had two software updates and a new control unit fitted for the SOS system (didn't know it was faulty)

The updates haven't resolved my issues/ concerns but I've been told to alter the auto brake to "late" status to help unescessary braking .Skoda UK called me to tell me yet again a software solution was under investigation.

1 hour ago, Kendoddsdadsdogisdead said:

Well mine went in this week and had two software updates and a new control unit fitted for the SOS system (didn't know it was faulty)

The updates haven't resolved my issues/ concerns but I've been told to alter the auto brake to "late" status to help unescessary braking .Skoda UK called me to tell me yet again a software solution was under investigation.

Mine has a new control unit on order from Europe for the Infotainment system. They have tried all of the available software updates which made no difference to any of my issues so they hope the hardware replacement will do the trick. So it is worrying to hear of your similar case where it did not.

My last day as a skoda owner. First time i have ever owned one, and with the issues its been very underwhelming.  Managed to source  a Leon Cupra, same car in a different suit, hopefully fault free. For anyone thinking of rejecting thier cars, there are very few new cars across the major manufacturers available in stock.

Good morning, mine, has had some other problem due to a defective update, a few days ago the airbag warning light came on, I parked the car and when I started it after half an hour, it no longer stayed on, at three hours they called me From where I bought it to tell me that they had detected a warning in the instrument panel of my car, I told them that it had already been turned off, to which they suggested that if it turned on again I ask for an appointment to check
In some other forum here in Spain, there are rumors of a total update of the vehicle's software, to correct all those defects.
In spite of everything it is a good car I am happy with it, regards

• Like 1

On 16/7/2021 at 13:59, ellandterrier said:

Mi último día como propietario de un skoda. Es la primera vez que tengo uno, y con los problemas ha sido muy decepcionante. Se las arregló para conseguir un Leon Cupra, el mismo auto con un traje diferente, con suerte sin fallas. Para cualquiera que esté pensando en rechazar sus coches, hay muy pocos coches nuevos de los principales fabricantes disponibles en stock.

Good luck with the Leon Cupra, I have read that it is NOT giving software bugs. The British really like Spanish   :)

So, since my last post the toggle switch for the boot release has collapsed into the car. I only noticed after the boot started to open and close itself. Looked down and the switch had fallen into the door card. 

Then on Wednesday the infotainment system stopped working together. It was still drivable and all the “safety” aids were working but everything else blew a warning message. Fortunately, it was hot on my previous journey so the air con was in the right position. 

Skoda/VW assist tech came out and because of Murphy’s law the blummin thing turned on as he started the car. 

However he didn’t even bother pugging it in (he already knew what code it would fault, says a lot really) and said he would refer me to the dealer, which he did straight away and now it’s going for another visit. The switch has to be replaced. He said that these systems are really poor, VW are aware and that a software update should be coming but there is so much too fix they don’t know when. 

So I suspect another trip to the dealer will be a waste of time. But at least the switch will get replaced. 

I think it’s now time for my lease company to source me something else. ☹️

On 10/07/2021 at 00:36, DaveFromSydney said:

It seems that you have the previous generation (Mark III). Is this a long-standing issue then? Or were you in the latest generation, e.g. on a test drive?

Mk iv, now rejected

Hi All.

Has anybody had an issue with the IV Hybrid 12v battery dying? Had mine two months now and it has been taken back to the garage as it doesn't detect when the 12v battery needs charging and engage the engine, which ended up being a complete loss of all function as in dead. Doors were unable to be locked and windows open. The next day after a VW tech comes out the alarm goes off with it not responding to the key even though the doors lock and unlock when pressed. For a car with lots of tech it allows itself to run into the ground?? Surely that cannot be normal?? Design flaw

5 hours ago, Hicks-D said:

Hi All.

Has anybody had an issue with the IV Hybrid 12v battery dying? Had mine two months now and it has been taken back to the garage as it doesn't detect when the 12v battery needs charging and engage the engine, which ended up being a complete loss of all function as in dead. Doors were unable to be locked and windows open. The next day after a VW tech comes out the alarm goes off with it not responding to the key even though the doors lock and unlock when pressed. For a car with lots of tech it allows itself to run into the ground?? Surely that cannot be normal?? Design flaw

Surely the engine doesn't need to engage to charge the 12v battery? Running on battery alone should still charge this but from what i've read the 12v battery should charge when you're charging the car anyway.

I've answered this type of query on another thread. I have a voltmeter plugged into the socket in the boot so that I can check the 12-volt battery resting voltage, which varies between 12.2 and 12,8 volts. When the main battery charger is connected, the battery voltage immediately rises to 13.1 volts, so it is definitely charging, as stated in the handbook. One thing I haven't done is to check the resting voltage after a run in hybrid mode with significant engine use,  just to check the alternator's contribution.

My car spent 12 days after multiple software recalls, each recall was of multiple items 

No idea what went on, the Dealer & Skoda UK were excellent, but there is obviously an issue as to

A) how the updates are sent from the factory & the install protocol C) maybe software/hardware clashes

As this it should not take 12 days, or for multiple errors to be the outcome

Amazing car, well built, but I really feel they over thought the infotainment system in what it does and how you use it, the AI is rubbish

Slightly different slant on "new day ,same **** email"

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Pease be assured the issue is already at the highest level within the factory.

We are currently awaiting an update, and will be in contact within the next week to update you.

Kind regards

Kate Laws
Senior Customer Resolution Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost

On 23/07/2021 at 20:27, beasty54 said:

Surely the engine doesn't need to engage to charge the 12v battery? Running on battery alone should still charge this but from what i've read the 12v battery should charge when you're charging the car anyway.

Thanks for replying Beasty54, I would have thought the same as this would happen all the time otherwise but after the dealership looking into it and them sending the logs off for review @Skoda they still cannot find an issue which is bloody concerning as if that happened out and about it could have caused a serious accident as the car was completely dead, no hazards available, no engine to be able to get out of the way. They have asked that I keep an eye on it but I don't want to accept the car back with no confirmed issue found. My concern is that with such a catastrophic failure of the car Skoda do not want to recall it to nail down the problem if the dealer technician cannot see the fault. Have it recorded on phone and shared with the Dealer. What a mess!- Ongoing........

Well i finally got round to taking my iV on a longish trip and it looks like i have the same issues as everyone else. 

1. Popping sound in the overhead console (like a fuse popping) and then the SOS system message on the instrument cluster appears. 

2. Car will not overtake on the motorway / dual carriageway with ACC active, sometimes hits the brakes quite hard.

3. Emergency braking when nothing is remotely close, pretty bad on dual carriageway bends at 70mph. 

4. Wireless AA clearly advertised as being a feature, not available on my hardware revision. 

I don't know what to do, it was a pre-reg car so technically 2nd hand, I collected on the 12th July so if i want to send a letter of rejection, i really need to do it ASAP . I do have it booked in for the 17th August but lets face it, they're not going to fix anything unless there's a miracle software update that has been released. 

I'm not sure if i'm being overly dramatic or whether i just live with it until there's a fix? To be fair 90% of my driving is a daily commute at the moment so i'll probably not see any of these issues again any time soon. 

Welcome to the club! My last email from Skoda /VW stated there was software fux being tested and if OK we would all get an update ,however I'm not holding my breath.On the braking issue the only partial solution you can do is to turn the sensitivity down to minimum ,since I've done ti's I've only had the brakes come on four times instead of every day. Turn off the speed sign recognition as the car translates it into Kph not mph so you stop kangerooing down the road or simply ask for a full refund .

5 hours ago, beasty54 said:

Well i finally got round to taking my iV on a longish trip and it looks like i have the same issues as everyone else. 

1. Popping sound in the overhead console (like a fuse popping) and then the SOS system message on the instrument cluster appears. 

2. Car will not overtake on the motorway / dual carriageway with ACC active, sometimes hits the brakes quite hard.

3. Emergency braking when nothing is remotely close, pretty bad on dual carriageway bends at 70mph. 

4. Wireless AA clearly advertised as being a feature, not available on my hardware revision. 

I don't know what to do, it was a pre-reg car so technically 2nd hand, I collected on the 12th July so if i want to send a letter of rejection, i really need to do it ASAP . I do have it booked in for the 17th August but lets face it, they're not going to fix anything unless there's a miracle software update that has been released. 

I'm not sure if i'm being overly dramatic or whether i just live with it until there's a fix? To be fair 90% of my driving is a daily commute at the moment so i'll probably not see any of these issues again any time soon. 

I'd send them a letter saying that you intend to reject and I would do it today. Hand them the letter in by hand and email a PDF to them and to your finance company (if you used one). It's vitally important that this is not only done in writing but traceable to a precise date and time.

It's soon enough after purchase that you should still be entitled to a full refund but only if you act very quickly. Even if they manage to fix all of your issues (and that is a really big if), your car will forever be known as one of "those" cars from the early days which were prone to various problems and it will have an impact on the resale value of your car down the line. When I rejected mine, that consideration played a fairly major part. 

Note that if you're within the first 30 days, you don't need to allow them a chance to repair and you're entitled to a full refund. After 30 days, they get one chance to fix it and the value of your refund might go down.

For more info (Note that I didn't use these guys but this was the first result on google)

https://www.nelsonslaw.co.uk/can-i-reject-a-car/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Partially regret logging in to Briskoda before test driving an Octy 4 tomorrow 😂

looking to handover my Karoq and move to the Octavia for the bigger boot - but all the issues mentioned concern me!

45 minutes ago, Wabey said:

Partially regret logging in to Briskoda before test driving an Octy 4 tomorrow 😂

looking to handover my Karoq and move to the Octavia for the bigger boot - but all the issues mentioned concern me!

Cancel the test drive.

You're going to enter a world of pain if you buy one of these cars.

I created this thread more than three months ago and Skoda are yet to fix any of the faults.

My own rejected MK4 is still sat in a wasteland compound out the back of the dealership, untouched.

I cannot stress enough that the Octavia MK4 is not worthy of your money or the stress it will cause you.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Wabey said:

Very understandable that you have concerns though it is worth remembering that forums such as this are used to moan and complain, or ask questions - rarely to say how wonderful a car is. Thus you'll be getting a biased view.

That isn't to downplay the issues though - my car, bought in March as as ex-demo at six month old, has [frustratingly] been with the dealer since mid-april at the request of Skoda UK. It has the infamous kph/mph issue which is a matter of compliance with UK regulations as I understand it. I am told a fix in being tested on a couple of cars in the UK ahead of a wider roll-out in due course. How long that will be I have no idea.

To counter that disappointment & frustration, the loan car provided by the same dealer/Skoda UK is also an Octavia Mk4, registered in January '21. I have driven over 6000 miles and it has been 100% fault free. It is a SE First Edition spec so doesn't have ACC or Traffic Assist, both of which have ongoing issues. The Octavia Mk4 is a lovely car to drive, quiet, comfortable and economical - and with an enormous boot, which from your comment is what you're looking at it.

Several on here have rejected their cars, I and a few others are hanging on in there awaiting the fix from Skoda UK whilst loading the loan/hire car with mileage. Should you buy or avoid an Octavia Mk4 - your call. Basically, it is a great car but it may test your patience and tolerance if your motor suffers with the well documented issues/niggles.

• Like 1

Also remember there is a world wide shortage on conductors and very few cars to choosefrom that are available now.i have looked and looked for some thing near to what I want.they all come up with long delivery times.or old stock standing in a compound some place  so I have decided to wait for the car and hope all the problems are ironed out in the next month or so.good luck

Yeah just to balance this a little, I have had my vrs since January and it's been perfect (other than dealer leaving transport blocks in ...). I pop back on here from time to time to see if there is anything interesting and see a lot of complaints, but I guess most people who are happy with their car won't come to this forum. I'm not trying to belittle the problems some people are having at all (sounds like a nightmare for some), just to offer some balance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.

I’ll be asking to go for an extensive drive and trying the ACC etc on my trial car - I’ll also be mentioning all the issues to see what response I get. Judging by messages here, it’ll probably be “we haven’t heard of any issues”

11 hours ago, Wabey said:

Thanks for the comments.

I’ll be asking to go for an extensive drive and trying the ACC etc on my trial car - I’ll also be mentioning all the issues to see what response I get. Judging by messages here, it’ll probably be “we haven’t heard of any issues”

It will be, and it will be a blatant lie! After I rejected mine, I went and got a mk3.5 and was speaking to two dealers who claimed they had never heard of any faults. I bought from neither of them as I know for a fact that both had First Editions sitting rejected in the back.

For what it is worth, my advice would be to leave off buying a mk iv for another year or so. 

I liked the car generally but all the faults on a car were unacceptable. My car was registered in July 2020 and up to the point that I rejected in May, nothing had been resolved. Unacceptable.

Choice is yours but it seems to me that your playing Russian roulette.

• Like 2

I have heard a there is a few makes out there having same problems.long waiting lists for new cars.that is the reason am willing to wait until I get my new car on november(fingers crossed)also hoping all the software problems are sorted by then.