Is any Octavia MK4 without fault?

Gax

4 hours ago, marmex said:

@TheUltraRunner 

I check and you have right! I think last update change automatically language because I share my location :blink:.I not notice because the menu its still in English(not translated in my language).So I change back to English and work. Your question made me wander if the language is in English.So now no issue for the moment(no snow or ice).No other error.Thanks man! 

Great to hear that! :thumbup: Glad to be able to help.

Mine was build as well in November 2020. And to be honest, besides a plastic trim that was not fitted properly and was doing a crackling noise in the soundaktuator area, nothing to be remarked. 

For me, what's is quite annoying, and hoping that VCDS development arrives soon, is the check list I have to do before starting to roll ... lane assist off ... check! ... start/stop off ... check! ... driving profile auto ... check! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mario_Delgado said:

Mine was build as well in November 2020. And to be honest, besides a plastic trim that was not fitted properly and was doing a crackling noise in the soundaktuator area, nothing to be remarked. 

For me, what's is quite annoying, and hoping that VCDS development arrives soon, is the check list I have to do before starting to roll ... lane assist off ... check! ... start/stop off ... check! ... driving profile auto ... check! 

Lane assist can already be changed to memory function. So it remembers the state in which it is before you turn off the car. But for the start-stop system is very unlikely that it will be ever possible to change it how it works. Because the emissions you can't change the behavior even with the Skoda token.

On 20/04/2021 at 08:55, Gax said:

I know that, like any forum, this place and this topic is a bit of a void....i.e. people are generally here discussing this solely because they have problems with their MK4. So there might be thousands of people out there loving their MK4 and not got a single problem with it, hence they aren't here talking about it.

On the basis several of us are seeking to return our cars, some have their car on order but are wary, and some are trying to make a decision, can I ask does anyone know as fact that these are a bad run of isolated vehicles that were produced (possibly early/mid 2020) and not ALL MK4's have problems?

If I returned me SE First Edition, is it safe to swap for another SE First Edition as long as it is a recent build?

Should I trade upwards? Or do higher models have the same issues? I think mine has had every issue possible now, bar KPH/MPH, yet for some it is the only issue reported.

Surely not every single MK4 on the planet has an issue? Or do they?

Are we better to leave Octavia and/or Skoda behind altogether?

I’d say that the loan car I have (whilst mine is at the dealer for the KPH/MPH issue) is as close to being without fault as you’d get. The infotainment system sometimes feels a bit slow to load and that’s it.

It’s a 70 plate SE 1st Edition 1.0 e-Tec DSG Estate

Edited by sneal

• 2 months later...
On 20/04/2021 at 12:15, Gax said:

I've got the ball (hopefully) rolling on mine going back, but my next issue is what car is next. I still want an Octavia, hence creating this thread. Problem is, you don't hear from people on the internet when they are happy! I've literally not seen a single MK4 on the road since buying mine, so it's not like there's an abundance of them where I can sidle up to the owner at a petrol station and quiz them about their car.

I bought an Octavia because I wanted an Octavia. Surely not every Octavia built since the MK4 relaunch is problematic.

Skoda know this is a major problem, they can't still be rolling cars off the production line day after day that don't work can they?

I'm not of the opinion that this will all 'get resolved' to be honest, not through dealer visits and software updates anyway. Whatever it is, be it just software, or a mixture non-compatibility between hardware, software, wiring, other, there is something fundamentally wrong with these cars and they shouldn't be on the road. Someone will end up being injured or killed with all the weird stuff going, I mean we have people talking about their cars hitting the brakes as they think there is an object in front of them.

It would be nice if an insider had a bit of info to share, and whether we should even be considering a replacement (and if so, what build dates are acceptable, what hardware spec etc) so a decision can be made if a replacement is offered. It's a bit pointless going down the replacement route if we all just receive an identical spec model built at the same time, and end up rejecting the replacement for the same issues.

I have had many issues of the auto braking coming on for no reason , its freaking me out tbh.Sat nav is in Kph not mph and locations are GPS numners which are meaningless ,also Laura keeps coming on for no reason.Im now pursuing a refund 

I had an issue with mine before I sent it back where Siri would come on whenever I turned the wheel to the right. Not all the time but it did it a few times. This, in addition to all the other problems, led me to reject the car. Dunno if this is related to your "Laura coming on" problem. Does it happen under any particular conditions?

Thinking about buying one mk4 but these fault reports make me a bit worried. I understand that probably I won't be the one that suffers from that but anyway I'm willing to find out a bit more about that.

Are these considered to be serious errors? Basically I don't care much about navigation, info system etc. If engine works fine, lights are on, aircon works nicely then that's not the worst case. I understand that you might expect everything to be 100% perfect for a brand new car but in case (I hope it won't happen for me) something is not fine, I'd like these faults to be minor ones, not stalling engine or like that.

1 hour ago, Jevpls said:

Thinking about buying one mk4 but these fault reports make me a bit worried. I understand that probably I won't be the one that suffers from that but anyway I'm willing to find out a bit more about that.

Are these considered to be serious errors? Basically I don't care much about navigation, info system etc. If engine works fine, lights are on, aircon works nicely then that's not the worst case. I understand that you might expect everything to be 100% perfect for a brand new car but in case (I hope it won't happen for me) something is not fine, I'd like these faults to be minor ones, not stalling engine or like that.

You mention Air Con, this was one of the faults with mine (rejected I add). The Air Con for me would black screen and default to full heat with full heated seats. A power cycle (engine off) would resolve but that is not feasible while on the Motorway. 

Your millage May very. 

On 25/06/2021 at 00:09, fox2319 said:

I had an issue with mine before I sent it back where Siri would come on whenever I turned the wheel to the right. Not all the time but it did it a few times. This, in addition to all the other problems, led me to reject the car. Dunno if this is related to your "Laura coming on" problem. Does it happen under any particular conditions?

13 hours ago, Jevpls said:

One of my issues wasn't specifically "aircon" but related to the heating controls in general, in that sometimes the onscreen icons to operate any of the heating simply were not on the screen. As with most of the errors, a full engine restart would usually cure this, but I had this issue at least three times after I had already set off and none of the times was I on a road suitable for stopping. This was part of a wider issue however, of various onscreen icons or menus not being present sometimes.

Add to that the multitude of other errors and emergency braking the car used to do for no reason, all of which meant I was not tolerating owning the car any further. If you read the KPH/MPH thread that is where you will find most of the issues people have had.

Bear in mind if you buy a MK4 you will be rolling the dice, make no bones about it. It is as simple as that, otherwise none of these threads would continue to exist.

Some people have bought MK4's and reported here that they've not had issues, some have had issues but software updates appear to have fixed them, some have had issues and software updates have been totally ineffective. It would appear that various hardware and software build dates and compatibility issues likely play a factor in the success or lack of for updates. If the combinations were established, it could assist people in their purchase, but to date nobody on the forum has managed to establish exactly which combinations do or do not work. 

For what it's worth, I rejected mine in March and as of yesterday when I walked past the dealership for the first time since I rejected my car, it is still sat in their compound out the back. So they clearly haven't been able to fix the issues yet.

Edited by Gax

5 minutes ago, Gax said:

One of my issues wasn't specifically "aircon" but related to the heating controls in general, in that sometimes the onscreen icons to operate any of the heating simply were not on the screen. As with most of the errors, a full engine restart would usually cure this, but I had this issue at least three times after I had already set off and none of the times was I on a road suitable for stopping. This was part of a wider issue however, of various onscreen icons or menus not being present sometimes.

Add to that the multitude of other errors and emergency braking the car used to do for no reason, all of which meant I was not tolerating owning the car any further. If you read the KPH/MPH thread that is where you will find most of the issues people have had.

Bear in mind if you buy a MK4 you will be rolling the dice, make no bones about it. It is as simple as that, otherwise none of these threads would continue to exist.

Some people have bought MK4's and reported here that they've not had issues, some have had issues but software updates appear to have fixed them, some have had issues and software updates have been totally ineffective. It would appear that various hardware and software build dates and compatibility issues likely play a factor in the success or lack of for updates. If the combinations were established, it could assist people in their purchase, but to date nobody on the forum has managed to establish exactly which combinations do or do not work. 

For what it's worth, I rejected mine in March and as of yesterday when I walked past the dealership for the first time since I rejected my car, it is still sat in their compound out the back. So they clearly haven't been able to fix the issues yet.

Same with mine. Mine is still at the back of the dealership. Not fixed. It would concern me having to roll the dice buying a car for 20 odd thousand pounds!

39 minutes ago, Jevpls said:

Sounds not great at all.

Called the dealer and 6-7 months for getting a brand new car doesn't sound great. Now starting to think about other options :)

Just my opinion, but you could be dodging a bullet here. I have no doubt it will be an excellent car, but it is going to take a long time yet to get to a stage where there are no gremlins. It will be interesting to hear from anyone when they get the long promised fix to the KMP/MPH, to see if they have solved ALL of the issues. When I was getting updates abut the 'fix' that the KPH was only ever really mentioned, nothing much was said about the other problems. I really for everyone hanging on, that they sort it all out, and soon.

• Like 1

On  the bright side, if/when they do fix these compound cars, there will be a lot of very cheap low mileage examples to be had!

• Like 1

So I'm glad and disappointed to learn that its not just my car.

Here's a list of the faults in my car, absolutely all of them still exist after Derby Skoda confirmed they fixed them all. 

Dangerous Faults; 

Lane Assist - is far to sensitive now and sees lines in the road that are not there - especially tricky when overtaking (i know you can turn it off, but a) I shouldn't have too and b) it doesn't stay off

ACC - Since the last over the air update now sees cars in the inside and outside lane on a three lane motorway and slows you down!

Auto Break - far far to sensitive whilst trying to park and applies the breaks far too much

Annoying Faults - 

If I said the infotainment system that would about cover it; but I'll be more specific; 

Sat Nav

• Doesn't remember any settings
  • Forgets Saved addresses such as home
  • Doesn't keep any previous destinations

Audio

• Sometimes remembers settings for sound, sometimes forgets them
  • Always remembers radio stations 

Bluetooth 

• Utterly useless, doesn't bring anything over from phone
  • Sometimes doesn't work at all, which is annoying as I have my own phone linked the Apple Auto and my work phone on BT

Apple Auto

• Wont show Waze if the USB is plugged in???????
  • Will sometimes stop the audio if plugged in through USB, i.e. when the phone needs charging too
  • Sometimes just fails to let my phone link at all, and remembers my wives iPhone even though she uses a different user when in the car!

Virtual Cockpit

• Doesn't load the navigation more than it does....

Then finally we have the hybrid system and rattles

• I have literally no idea how this can happen, but it has stalled, in an auto?
  • Its jerky as hell when in sport mode when transitioning between motor and ICE
  • It has a rattle which sounds like a heat shield. The Skoda Assist chap (when my lights failed randomly - Diagnosed fault switch module, Skoda Derby did not agree) noticed it in a busy car park but Derby Skoda could not fault it. 

Fortunately, for me at least, this is a company car, but for nearly £37k this is not what we should expect. 

Auto braking coming on randomly to me is a serious fault and OK you can turn it off before each journey,however it warns you not to so basically its setting you up to be rear ended .If these faults are not serious then what have Skoda stopped production of this model and VW have a load of Golf's sat waiting for  the promised software update which was promised several weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Kendoddsdadsdogisdead said:

What really annoys me is that the dealerships, in general are in denial whilst Skoda UK are sat on the wall waiting for the software update but reading all the various issues on here I'm not convinced it's going to be a one stop shop to fix them all.

Not only that, but you also have dealerships still selling cars they know have issues.

'My' dealership currently has my SE First Edition sitting out back gathering dust awaiting an elusive software silver-bullet fix, meanwhile on their website they are still advertising SE First Edition's for sale...

I've started return proceedings.  Supplying deal hadn't heard of any issues with the new Octavia.  I have a sat nav system that doesn't remember any settings,  ac reseting to 22' , break assist suddenly deciding to kick in. For a car with a cost of £39k inc extras its very disappointing.  Chose the Vrs iv over the 330e due to leadtimes, should have had more patient and waited!

56 minutes ago, ellandterrier said:

I've started return proceedings.  Supplying deal hadn't heard of any issues with the new Octavia.  I have a sat nav system that doesn't remember any settings,  ac reseting to 22' , break assist suddenly deciding to kick in. For a car with a cost of £39k inc extras its very disappointing.  Chose the Vrs iv over the 330e due to leadtimes, should have had more patient and waited!

I chose the VRS over the 330e for towing reasons. Which I then learnt that if you don’t spec towing when purchasing, it will cost in excess of £2.5k to get a towbar from Skoda. 

whoops, lesson learnt. 

To be fair it’s a nice car to drive and be in, just a shame it’s infuriating to own. 

2 hours ago, ellandterrier said:

'Not heard of any issues with the new Octavia'! That is a blatant and very obvious lie. They should be ashamed of themselves!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Theredbaron404 said:

I chose the VRS over the 330e for towing reasons. Which I then learnt that if you don’t spec towing when purchasing, it will cost in excess of £2.5k to get a towbar from Skoda. 

whoops, lesson learnt. 

To be fair it’s a nice car to drive and be in, just a shame it’s infuriating to own. 

I’m impressed that Skoda have been able to suggest that for 2.5k they can get you a towbar.  As far as I was aware you can’t change the VIN plate so would technically remain unapproved for towing!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellandterrier said:

Supplying deal hadn't heard of any issues with the new Octavia.

What a total pile of BS.  It’s either negligent, incompetence or downright dishonesty!  

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having, it’s such a shame!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajdude said:

I’m impressed that Skoda have been able to suggest that for 2.5k they can get you a towbar.  As far as I was aware you can’t change the VIN plate so would technically remain unapproved for towing!  

I’ll have to check the plate to see if it’s type approved and if it carries the brakes and unbraked weights already. I suspect it will do as the model is approved. It’s just if you don’t pay the extra £250 ish to have it towing prepare or the ridiculous price for the factory fitted option you don’t get the additional cooling pack and they said so about the electric connections aren’t there. 

I wasn’t sure though so fitted a tow bar to the wife’s Vitara. Which for the weight of lightweight caravan is a very competent tow car, especially with its 4wd. So not going to bother investigating any further. 

It’s a good shout though that I didn’t even think about.