How to...

OK so being relatively new to VAG products I am trying into understanding them. My previous tinkering and tuning experience is with old Rovers, which technologically are light years away from my vRS :) 

I've been kicking around the forum for a couple of weeks now and i have some questions. I know i could 'use the search function' but as the site has so much wonderful information its a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. So here goes...

What is VCDS?

How do i do an autoscan? (I have MIB2 headunit)

What would i need to purchase for me to be able to enable some features?

What are the common useful and easy adaptations i can make to my Octavia III? (I have already started with the reversing camera) 

Agian apologies if these have been asked before, but i thought i may be useful to collate some information that isn't full of three letter abbreviations and acronyms that the unenlightened such as myself would understand :). After all the key to gaining knowledge is to understand it :) 

Edited by Pagan-Image

i have had a good read through that already, i more more trying to get a handle on some of the terminology and processes that are being used. Learning to speak the language to to speak :) 

36 minutes ago, Pagan-Image said:

What is VCDS?

How do i do an autoscan? (I have MIB2 headunit)

What are the common useful and easy adaptations i can make to my Octavia III? (I have already started with the reversing camera)

1) VCDS is a product created by a company in the USA called Ross-Tech.  I think it used to be called VAG-COM in days of old.  It is a diagosis and configuration tool for VAG cars.

2) There are two possible ways of interpreting that question - a) AutoScan for the Radio for presets? or VCDS AutoScan.  The latter is shown here: https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.php

3) You need to procure a HEX-V2 dongle to plug into the CANBUS connector under the driver's right foot.  You will also need a copy of the ross-tech software.  You can get both of these from Glendan - the UK retailers of the software. https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHNU.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyZmEBhCpARIsALIzmnLKiuPOSd9VUU-BEjxekLPcfnFmBZN2JyEonF3KjgJBLO6wFFpZvIwaAiObEALw_wcB

4) That's been answered above - however - there are variations for MK3 Facelifted models that I can help with.

• Like 2

Thank you, this is starting to make more sense to me now. Reading the current posts with no previous knowledge is a bit like walking into an Italian Opera, being performed in Japanese by actors who speak neither language :) 

Just to add to #3 above:

- Either a copy of the VCDS Software for your laptop and the necessary cables to plug your laptop into the Car

OR  

- a wireless dongle and the obdeleven app for your phone from https://obdeleven.com/en/

Both will allow you to scan your car for errors and clear them and also enable some features.

• Like 1

I use obdeleven which does the same job for coding, scans etc. But it uses a dongle and you can use your phone or tablet to run it on. 

I went with obdeleven over vcds for two reasons.  It is cheaper and I can keep the dongle in the car and use whenever I need it in case of an emergency.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lway said:

Just to add to #3 above:

- Either a copy of the VCDS Software for your laptop and the necessary cables to plug your laptop into the Car

OR  

- a wireless dongle and the obdeleven app for your phone from https://obdeleven.com/en/

Both will allow you to scan your car for errors and clear them and also enable some features.

5 minutes ago, Ecomatt said:

I use obdeleven which does the same job for coding, scans etc. But it uses a dongle and you can use your phone or tablet to run it on. 

I went with obdeleven over vcds for two reasons.  It is cheaper and I can keep the dongle in the car and use whenever I need it in case of an emergency.

Thanks again :) 

32 minutes ago, Ecomatt said:

You can also get a "dongle" for VCDS, it's called HEX-NET which can be either connected to a Windows PC using a USB cable or over WiFi, or can connect to a mobile phone/tablet running any web browser as it can generate it's own WiFi access point.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

Welcome, Pagan-Image.

Sadly, too many forum members in years past - and still now - start new threads when there's already an answer (or several) to their problem.  Dashcam fitting, for instance.  Or "when will my new car arrive that I ordered XX weeks ago?"  Or "My car has arrived at the docks."   So the forum gets clogged up with hundreds of ego-driven threads and unhelpful thread titles.

Unfortunately all the spurious and totally unhelpful threads make searching for an intelligent answer to a question near impossible, the moderators/admin just couldn't tidy up the forum, it's beyond human capabilities., their job is difficult enough as it is.  All respect to them, they must have the patience of saints.

So.  The bottom line is you need to think laterallly, spend some time going offpiste, and eventually you'll find half the answer you're looking for.  Don't get me wrong, it's a really useful site and there are many members making a useful contribution, and I'm grateful to several.  However, driving a Skoda doesn't automatically mean one is endowed with common sense. In many cases it means the opposite.

All that said, I repeat - welcome!

VCDS Auto scan: A download from the cars brain,  that shows each component (called modules) installed in the car, be it an ECU i.e engine or door locking controller or a CAN gateway (a box that connects all the boxes together). Depending on how highly specced a car is from purchase will have more or less modules. Some modules have sub modules to add further functions, i.e rain sensor for auto wipers. 

Each module is configured in various ways to allow it's functions. Some that were not there from factory purchase,  may be enabled to gain new functions via an "Adaption"  (recoding) of the module. So you can change the behaviour of a specific module and the network allows it to work without changing any components,  it's all done in coding. 

Each module has a code (an adaption channel list or long code) specific to is functionality and will vary from car to car depending on how it was configured from the factory, i.e Mr Dealer, I'd like to buy the option rear parking camera on top of just parking sensors. Components are added and coded to the cars network to say, Hey there, when you put me in reverse, I can beep at you and you can see behind the car on a screen, that £600 option is bells and whistles:biggrin:

DTC: diagnostic trouble code, simply an error recorded in any module to show a fault i.e bulb out or electrical issue. Can be cleared if fault is resolved. 

Edited by paulski
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pagan-Image said:

an Italian Opera, being performed in Japanese

Which will neither rhyme nor scan correctly. See what we mean about off-topic? And you started it!

Edited by KenONeill
typo

I should have mentioned - my post was aimed at the difficulties encountered when searching for a topic, caused by the lack of thought by some thread posters.

Clearly the replies above show how helpful forum members can be.  An excellent response.

1 minute ago, FlyingGecko said:

I should have mentioned - my post was aimed at the difficulties encountered when searching for a topic, caused by the lack of thought by some thread posters.

Clearly the replies above show how helpful forum members can be.  An excellent response.

Please also bear in mind that some members do not have english as their first language, so expressing themselves and clearly identifying the problem they wish to discuss can be difficult.

9 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Which will neither rhyme nor scan correctly. See what we mean about off-topic? And you started it!

I don't mind a touch of humour to lighten up a thread :)

3 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

Agreed and is one of the reasons i made the post :) , and i have been very pleasantly surprised by the genuine responses i have had, there have been a few forums in the past which can get very arsey if you ask a simple question :) .

I do appreciate the responses, sometimes its better to get a straight answer quickly, indeed i believe you just posted about finding the software versions on another thread, very very useful!

5 minutes ago, FrankNicklin said:

Please also bear in mind that some members do not have english as their first language, so expressing themselves and clearly identifying the problem they wish to discuss can be difficult.

Totally agree, as an engineer myself it is very easy to fall into technobabble, the instructor part of me tries to avoid this in the name of clarity, understanding and education. is there a sticky anywhere on the forum that has these very basic tips explained simply?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FrankNicklin said:

Hi Frank, yes, I'm aware of this.  The non-native english speakers are among the best at posting sensible and thought-out questions, and I certainly wasn't thinking of them.  Many times over the years the non-UK members have provided answers to seemingly insurmountable problems.  A different perspective is highly valued and sometimes all that's needed. It also reflects well on the forum that it attracts so many overseas contributors.

A few years back it was a big problem, and still is (pointless and poorly titled posts, that is).  For instance, starting a thread in, say, the Superb Mk 3 section with a heading "Superb Mk3 1.5", or in the Octavia Mk 3 section "New diesel estate".  There are to aspects to this.  First, within such posts there might, but probably won't be, the answer to life, the universe and everything.  But without some clearer title who can tell unless one reads the post?  Second, the forum is clogged with so many meaningless posts that searching for an answer is near-impossible, yet there almost certainly is an excellent answer buried several pages back in the forum.  Typcial of those are threads detailing a car's progress from ordering to factory to docks to portside to dealer.  Really?  Do we need to know this?  Yes, I know that there are Guide sections, and also the Mods have the ability to "Pin" topics.  But the "Fanboy" aspect of many posts adds to the difficulties.

To a degree the forum is a victim of its own success, and it's not up to me to tell anyone what they can and can't do, I'm only a member.  I know from corresponding a few years back with the Mods (who do a superb job, pun intended), that it's a long standing issue.  All I'd like to see is a little more thought from members, old and new, when posting.  And this is certainly not aimed at our new member, Pagan-Image, who himself (herself?) said searching was like wading through treacle.  There must be many potential members who are put off using the forum because of this.  

And again, welcome to Pagan-Image!

• Like 1

@FlyingGecko Thanks again, for making me feel welcome. And as my 15 year old militant daughter would say 'for not assuming my gender' (its himself btw :) )

I don't think this problem is unique to this forum, indeed most successful forums have the same problem. And so far the responses to my rambling utterances have been superb (pun intended).

As i mentioned in my first post, i used to be heavily involved in the Rovertech forum, which was for performance Rovers of all things, so i am reasonably adept at spannering things. Modern generations of cars have become more complex and software based, not always to a benefit as we read in the Octavia IV forums, and i am trying to get back up to speed on how things are done in the VAG world. As i have mild dyspraxia, i find trawling through lots of very dry technical posts difficult, so i tend to ask a straight question instead to generate a discussion where knowledge can be gained :) . It certainly didn't stop me getting two engineering degrees (Communications and mechanical) whilst i was in the Army.

Once i get used to the VAG alphabet and language i'm sure i will work my way around it much better.  For now thank you for your patience.

Edited by Pagan-Image

1 hour ago, Pagan-Image said:

I don't mind a touch of humour to lighten up a thread

Neither do I; I was pulling your leg by making a correct but off-topic point about translating opera from one language to another.

14 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Neither do I; I was pulling your leg by making a correct but off-topic point about translating opera from one language to another.

No offence taken :D i have a pretty robust if dry sense of humour 

My only thought was to have a very simple 'Idiots Guide' to simple things such as displaying your software version on the display, What is an MIB1 or2 (with pictures) etc. You know some simple phrases that the forum regulars know and understand, whereas someone on the outside or like me who has issues with 'word salad' just looks at it with confusion :)

Edited by Pagan-Image
Added info

I could bore you to death on anti-counterfeiting technology for secure documents, currency, stamps, GS1 data code requirements and printing for governments systems lol

I will get there eventually with my Skoda knowledge, but for now im trying to keep it as simple as my brain will let me :D

Edited by Pagan-Image