Seat comfort for shorter drivers....

Hi everyone

Elsewhere on Briskoda I posted that I'm finding the seats in my Audi A4 quite uncomfortable and am currently adjusting the (manual) seat in various ways to see if I can improve matters.  Assuming I can't, I have the green light from my better half to replace the car with something more comfortable.

One of the cars on my list of possible replacements is a Superb SEL or L&K with an automatic gearbox, and leather seats with electric adjustment.  I will obviously do some test drives but it would be really useful to get your opinions as to seat comfort.   A short test drive of a second hand car at a dealer is unlikely to prove how comfortable the seat will be on long journeys.

I'm 5' 6" tall with a reasonably slim frame and wonder how Superb drivers with a similar stature find these types of seats?

Thanks!

Glen

I'm 5'7" and I've had no trouble at all - new L&K auto delivered at the end of March and I've done just over 2,000 miles including a few two-hour drives. I've got the seat quite far forward and high, steering wheel at the highest position and it feels exactly right for me. 

However, my backside is fairly wide(!) and I don't know whether that might make a difference compared to your slim frame - mine fits the seat perfectly so there's no sideways movement when cornering. I would say if you get the chance for a test drive try some heavy cornering to make sure you feel adequately laterally supported.

I'm 5ft 9in with a slim frame (long arms, long legs, shorter torsoe, which does affect things).  I have had the my car 16 months and only just got a reasonably comfortable driving position (it could still be so much better).  I've been very very tempted to change the car but lockdown made that more difficult so haven't done so (yet).

Strangely, when I have sat in other large cars at used car supermarkets, my Superb feels more comfortable when I get back in it than before.

I find that if I get in the right location in the seat (laterally) it's not uncomfortable but having a slim frame makes it more difficult to consistently get in the right location and stay there (seats feel wide and very slightly offset).  Also, I think the lumbar support isn't good.  Elsewhere on the site someone else traded in for a 5 series solely due to lack of good lumbar support.

One more thing to add is that excess body roll can play it's part and the sportline version has a narrower seat back which holds you in place better. 

Hello DB72

When you say "Seats felt wide and very slightly offset" do you mean the seat is offset in relation to the steering wheel or the pedals?  One of the issues with the A5 with a manual gearbox is the pedals are offset to the right, so the right foot is naturally in line with the brake pedal and the left has to be kept to the right to operate the accelerator.

Glen

24 minutes ago, TheITGuy said:

Hello DB72

When you say "Seats felt wide and very slightly offset" do you mean the seat is offset in relation to the steering wheel or the pedals?

The steering wheel and seat seem aligned ok, but to me, the pedals are offset slightly to the right, which I believe is due to the RHD conversion, but not as bad as some other European cars apparently.  I think I've got used to it now but for over a year it felt like the pedals should be about half an inch further over to the left.  This might have been made to feel worse because my car is a manual gearbox so constantly using the clutch pedal perhaps highlighted it.  The left side footrest also hindered my clutch foot so I removed the plastic cover to make it narrower. 

That's one of the reasons why I'm going for a DSG gearbox this time round - with only 2 pedals to fit into the footwell, I can't see any reason for the accelerator pedal being offset to the right.

Thanks for your input DB72....

1 minute ago, TheITGuy said:

That's one of the reasons why I'm going for a DSG gearbox this time round - with only 2 pedals to fit into the footwell, I can't see any reason for the accelerator pedal being offset to the right.

I think you'll find there's a big clutch pedal sized space  in the footwell so the other pedals are in the same position whether it's dsg or manual.

The pedal positions seemed to make my body migrate from the centre of the seat base across to the right, towards the seat base bolster, which was then uncomfortable.  It felt that if I had wider hips I would fit more snuggly between the seat base bolsters and not move sideways, even though it is only half an inch or so. 

The Superb seats are very comfy no doubt, especially the L&K ones, but I do think that for someone with a tiny frame, they could get uncomfortable due to the fact that they have absolutely no sidebolstering. You should probably look at a Sportline package that has the very good "bucket" seats.

Thank you everyone for your replies.  An interesting point that the standard seats lack side bolstering, so may not suit a slim frame!  I'll need to see if I can arrange some extended test drives.

Have a great weekend everyone

Glen

@TheITGuy  I'm probably built like you. I've been driving this Sportline (alcantra buckets) for four years now, and have done 500-mile days with no problems. It took me a few months to get my favourite position and, as I'm the only driver, have set up three options on the presets so that I can alter my driving position slightly when I need a change. I find that I tend to shift my backside to the left side bolster and add a bit of lumbar support.

I think the seats are fine, but I've never driven a Volvo. 

Or a Bentley.

Hi Sasha Grace. that's very encouraging - although I'm somewhat disappointed that your OH has no issues getting comfortable as I was quite liking the extra pies suggestion :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Had a mk2 octavia (cloth seats), mk3 octavia (half leather) and now have a passat (half leather).  All have been slightly different seating position but not uncomfortable.  I'm 5'6 and slightly overweight with short legs.  Have done long journeys in all 3 cars no problem.  A couple of things the passat has is the front height adjustment (raises the front to tilt the seat back) and the front edge of the seat can be adjusted out/in.  This adds to the greater possibility of getting the position you want.  I'm sure they do similar seats across the VAG range.  It's a shame Seat don't make a superb/passat model as I really like the cloth seats in MrsGs Arona.

Previously I've had a MK II Octavia, 2 MKII Superbs and a MK III Octavia and in all of these cars, it wasn't too hard to find a comfortable seating position.  

I'm a gargantuan 5'6 myself with a spot of extra padding and today I did a 300 mile round trip without stops in either direction and felt fine when I got out. 7.5 hours total driving. That's the trouble when travelling to Norfolk - Norfolking motorways :)

Well, apart from my back by that's just age and not seat related. Adjusting the lumbar support helps it.

• Haha 1

Hi Unclerichy

Living in nearby Suffolk I understand what you mean about those Norfolk autobahns (that'll be the A11 and A47 for folks that aren't familiar with the area) :biggrin:

So with your non-Sportline seats, do you find that you slide from side to side on the seats (pies not withstanding)?

Glen