2WD combi wheel alignment

I suspect this has been answered many times but the search function on the site seems to be broken at the moment :-(

My Sportline is in to see if Skoda can work out what's wrong with the sat nav, and while it's in they have done an "inspection".

In addition to a few things that I knew needed doing, they have also highlighted that the car should have the wheel alignment done... at a cost of £144.

Now, with all the pot holes near here I'd not be surprised if the alignment is out so fair enough it should be resolved, but £144 sounds like an awful lot for clamping the steering wheel, clamping the alignment jig onto the 4 wheels then tweaking the steering rod ends to get the toe in right.

Is there anything magical or complicated in doing the Superb III wheels or will the free check and alignment if required from my local tyre fitter do the same job?

At the moment my local Skoda dealer is quoting £190 more for 2 Pirellis and alignment than the local, and very well respected, tyre fitter.

19 minutes ago, Gyp said:

the car should have the wheel alignment done... at a cost of £144

Yeah, and what a main stealer will have done is got a quote from someone with a Hunter rig and added a markup plus a charge for the apprentice to take your car there and back. Still, doing the job right on a Hunter will take an hour or so.

As for the tyres, the main use for Pirellis is propping up the brand name part of tyre test tables.

8 hours ago, john999boy said:

Our search function?

It looks okay to me. :thumbup:

Last night I was getting Chrome's "Aw, snap!" error message in response to every search I tried. This morning it's not as bad with it only happening on about a 1/3 of my searches.

Searching Briskoda through Google is working 100% fine though

Odd.

8 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Yeah, and what a main stealer will have done is got a quote from someone with a Hunter rig and added a markup plus a charge for the apprentice to take your car there and back. Still, doing the job right on a Hunter will take an hour or so.

As for the tyres, the main use for Pirellis is propping up the brand name part of tyre test tables.

That was definitely my thought regarding the alignment.

I've been quite happy with the original fitment Pirellis so would have no issue with fitting the same again

1 hour ago, Gyp said:

That was definitely my thought regarding the alignment.

I've been quite happy with the original fitment Pirellis so would have no issue with fitting the same again

Check what Pirelli you are getting,

the Cinturato P7 range has been changed, can get original P7, P7 blue, P7c2 (c2 is 2nd generation). Then there is the new Powergy for cars, and the high performance range (P zero)

If you are getting new P7 (original) it is a superseded design, and the tyres might be old stock, (you can always ask what dates codes are if your tyre dealer has them in stock).   But not all types will be in all sizes

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

Check what Pirelli you are getting,

the Cinturato P7 range has been changed, can get original P7, P7 blue, P7c2 (c2 is 2nd generation). Then there is the new Powergy for cars, and the high performance range (P zero)

If you are getting new P7 (original) it is a superseded design, and the tyres might be old stock, (you can always ask what dates codes are if your tyre dealer has them in stock).   But not all types will be in all sizes

Pirelli are showing the original Cinturato P7 as the current fitment, and I'm sure my somewhat leisurely driving style wouldn't highlight any difference between the different versions

I went to Watlings in Catford. They mounted four tyres that I brought in and did a balance & alignment for £116, so yeah, £144 is high.

I have also had a four-wheel alignment done by KwikFit. When I queried a figure on the printout, they did a second alignment in a different shop for free. That job cost £84.95 three years ago. I did it before I drove to Germany and the car ran smooth and true on the Autobahn at high speed, so why pay more?

• Like 1

Just had mine done on a Hunter rig at Kwik-Fit, £129 but that includes 4 additional alignments over 2 years free of charge, which I didn't think bad as i would get it done when changing between summer and winter wheels.

One thing, it all lined up except the N/S/F where the caster is slightly out and they said they can't adjust as that need sub-frame adjustment to bring it back into line??

38 minutes ago, coppertop said:

N/S/F where the caster is slightly out and they said they can't adjust as that need sub-frame adjustment

I'm not totally familiar with the Superb's front suspension, but it sounds plausible. Also, if you have to move the subframe to adjust the caster it will affect both front wheels.

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

Did they align only the front wheels or the rear ones too?

Front and rear, rear all in 'green' zone.  O/S/F marginally out on camber and as said N/S/F out on caster as well, everything else OK.

Wonder if you took it to a dealer they even have the facilities or experience to adjust the caster angle if messing with the sub-frame is involved?

Off side front and near side front, usually referring to the roadwheels.

For the UK where people drive on the left of the road near side (nearest the kerb) is the left and offside is the right.

OSF = right front wheel (AVD en Francais)

NSR = left rear wheel. (ARG en Francais)

Edited by J.R.

I paid £60 for full alignment 2years ago with printout. There was also a charge per adjustment depending which one it was. Think that was £5 per adjustment.