Columbus Map Update 2021-2022 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

My download tonight was version 189 rather than the 192 that Martini quoted. What week do they update or is this dependent on the car make or something? 

I seem to recall that Week 25 was the update time, or was I dreaming? 

I suspect you put your VIN number into the Skoda site. Martini links are direct to the servers where they are sitting there waiting for the webpage designer to wrap a link to them. Just take the links he's posted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well the solution for Seat mib2 high owners is to get the Skoda lifelong navigation FeC on your unit. "Easy enough" needs 08300008 added then you can enjoy all the benefits of Skoda 😉.

We say easy enough. You either find a retrofitter to do it for you or do it yourself. Currently not many of those in the UK that touch Seat Mib 2 Highs since they were not marketed as much as Skoda by Seat.

The DIY solution doesn't cost anything but needs VCDS / Obdeleven skills to enable the green menu. Then you use Mib Tool and guys from the M.I.B. collective. German DEB board has postings since its all in German to an extent.

You can do a firmware upgrade but obvious risks to that or stick on current firmware. Mib Tool runs on a SD card in the unit. Contains a module for each firmware release they have looked at. If a module exists for your firmware then it will recognise that when you back up. If it doesn't you are invited to supply the backup to the "collective" (I call them that). Useful to be on a board where they are. Then some useful guy may offer help. It's possible for them to create a dummy patch module. You then install that into the patch folder of Mib Tool, go into the patch module option but don't import the module, it's a dummy one, just tap AddFecs. Come out and reboot (the long press on/off). Check installed FeCs and Bobs your Uncle. You can write the dummy module yourself but I reckon  that's too complex. The FeC table in the patch is a normal txt one and can be edited. The process circumvents the program "Whatthefec" since FeC edits are built in.

They have Skoda modules as well. Worth looking at if troubled by FeCs🤣. But obviously Skoda drivers are not, just Seat being petty.

Normal success pictures attached... got there in the end.

20210617_214913.jpg

20210617_215000.jpg

Edited by Tell
pictures
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone with a device that would benefit from @Tell’s information, I find it good to know there’s a solution available - even if it isn’t quite straightforward. Unfortunately I doubt whether I will be progressing down that route as I don’t even use the standard installed SEAT maps enough to truly benefit.

• Love it! 1

18 minutes ago, john999boy said:

As someone with a device that would benefit from @Tell’s information, I find it good to know there’s a solution available - even if it isn’t quite straightforward. Unfortunately I doubt whether I will be progressing down that route as I don’t even use the standard installed SEAT maps enough to truly benefit.

Android Auto or CarPlay... hmm.

Those M.I.B. collective people do have Skoda firmware. The beauty of Mib Tool, no pulling the box out, d link Usb Ethernet connections since its all loaded into the Green Menu (GEM). Some risk of trauma thou.

I like to just poke a destination in and not bother with apps.

Edited by Tell
clarifications

No probs, I have been checking daily for the last week.

I downloaded the maps last night but they are 29.1gb and my 32gb SD card formats at 28.9gb so I need to buy a 64gb card :wondering:

8 minutes ago, Jonboy984 said:

No probs, I have been checking daily for the last week.

I downloaded the maps last night but they are 29.1gb and my 32gb SD card formats at 28.9gb so I need to buy a 64gb card :wondering:

Well it should handle it if formatted to Fat 32 and nothing else is on the card. It's the guys that like NTFS on the card that get unstuck. Default sector size has a bearing also on Fat 32. Leave that untouched at the default. Saying that one of these days it may break the 32gb SD card limit but hasn't happened yet.... not on the brand I use.

21 minutes ago, Jonboy984 said:

I have been checking daily for the last week.

I downloaded the maps last night

why waited that long when links were known two months ago?

6 minutes ago, Tell said:

formatted to Fat 32

+1

On 19/05/2021 at 16:39, MartiniB said:

no problem with Transcend SDHC 32Gb Class 10

3542514_sa.jpg

• Love it! 1

12 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

why waited that long when links were known two months ago?

+1

Yep.

My cards a Sandisk Extreme Pro parameters attached, no problems. Free space 520mb with the maps on.Screenshot_20210623-075553.thumb.png.9fc40f800e9f39b4ca8505a45ed31439.png

• Like 1

@Tell

life-hack for better quality screenshots :)

1. press "Prt Scr" on keyboard
2. open Paint (press Win+R, type 'mspaint', press Enter)
3. press Ctrl+V
4. choose option "Select"
5. select area
6. press Ctrl+C
7. press Ctrl+N, don't save
8. press Ctrl+V
9. press Ctrl+S

result ->

32Gb_SD_FAT32.png.c787016e13d08dd6e9c11d9549e69fd4.png

Edited by MartiniB

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

@Tell

life-hack for better quality screenshots :)

1. press "Prt Scr" on keyboard
2. open Paint (press Win+R, type 'mspaint', press Enter)
3. press Ctrl+V
4. choose option "Select"
5. select area
6. press Ctrl+C
7. press Ctrl+N, don't save
8. press Ctrl+V
9. press Ctrl+S

result ->

32Gb_SD_FAT32.png.c787016e13d08dd6e9c11d9549e69fd4.png

Get lazy all those Ctrl+'s 😍... Will use paint next time 🤣.

De... dar (I do date back to CP/M you know and ICL George 3 operating system, IBM 360, PDP8s... they don't make them like they use too ;)... know a few replication punch card tricks that the youngsters don't know, very handy these daysB))

image.png.1390662f1009a1231fce1c8a56fc7ab7.png

Edited by Tell
put that screen in with spare memory :)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tell said:

Yep.

My cards a Sandisk Extreme Pro parameters attached, no problems. Free space 520mb with the maps on.Screenshot_20210623-075553.thumb.png.9fc40f800e9f39b4ca8505a45ed31439.png

I have a SanDisk 32gb SD card in my glovebox, I have just checked and it formats to 29.7gb so this should work. 

3 hours ago, Jonboy984 said:

I have a SanDisk 32gb SD card in my glovebox, I have just checked and it formats to 29.7gb so this should work. 

Much of that difference is down to how the size of disks, USB sticks, SD cards, etc. is specified.

On an HDD, USB stick or SD card 32GB means 32,000,000,000 bytes; but when Windows reports the formatted size as 29.7GB it means 29.7*1024*1024*1024 = 31,890,132,172 bytes (the difference being the space taken up by the format information).

20 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Much of that difference is down to how the size of disks, USB sticks, SD cards, etc. is specified.

On an HDD, USB stick or SD card 32GB means 32,000,000,000 bytes; but when Windows reports the formatted size as 29.7GB it means 29.7*1024*1024*1024 = 31,890,132,172 bytes (the difference being the space taken up by the format information).

Correct which is why you dont use NTFS on a 32gb card. That's got more indexing than Fat32 so you loose more to indexing which is also stored in that useable space.

NTFS is a trap that VW documentation leaves when they talk about NTFS in the documentation... That's on the hard disk. All NTFS on HD now. If you want to use a 32gb card it has to be in Fat32. The issue was picked up on German Skoda forum this time round.

Mind you I reckon next year it will pop the 32gb limit as lockdown led more people to do Here Maps crowd sourcing which I suspect is why the Tom Tom one popped the limit on the Standard side. Here Maps is open to footpaths which you will see entered on the maps these days. You just hope your car stops at that point. I have tried the local one I put on. If correctly flagged it shouldn't take you up it. The navigable attributes are different to what you see on the map.

Edited by Tell
clarification

2 minutes ago, Jonboy984 said:

The 32gb card in my glovebox is a class 4, will this work albeit slowly or do I need a class 10

Suppose to be class 10

https://www.remosoftware.com/info/class-10-class-4-memory-cards-best

It means the bus speed is 4Mb/s rather than 10Mb/s. Its the read speed that might be important if there was a bottleneck in getting the data over. It will work, might be slower thou.