Columbus Map Update 2021-2022 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

I gave up with the class 4, it was taking far too long. I borrowed the class 10 from my phone and copied the maps on to it fine. I am now copying the maps in to the car. Thanks everyone for your help :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Tell said:

Mind you I reckon next year it will pop the 32gb limit

The map data has many (hundreds, thousands maybe) of very small files which always use the "cluster size" on the SD card even if they are only e.g. 1 byte long - so you can delay when the map data won't fit onto a 32GB SD card by manually selecting the smallest cluster size (I use 4K) when quick formatting it.

13 minutes ago, Jonboy984 said:

I gave up with the class 4, it was taking far too long. I borrowed the class 10 from my phone and copied the maps on to it fine. I am now copying the maps in to the car. Thanks everyone for your help :thumbup:

Although they do say don't use a microUSB and adaptor :evilgrin:.

15 hours ago, Tell said:

Although they do say don't use a microUSB and adaptor :evilgrin:.

I've been using a micro SD and adapter for the last 5 years with no problems.

27 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I've been using a micro SD and adapter for the last 5 years with no problems.

Of all my failed SD cards they have all been the micro SD ones. Running at four now, all well known makes. Two raspberry Pi and two in my phone. Don't reckon they are so durable which is why VW dont recommend them. You wouldn't do a firmware update using them... would brick your Mib unit. Map update it would suspend.

Probably where they are coming from. You can buy more resilient micro SDs... which are more durable for constant use. Spotted that the other day.

Edited by Tell

1 hour ago, Tell said:

You wouldn't do a firmware update using them... would brick your Mib unit.

I've done that - twice - and don't have a bricked MIB.

As you say it all depends on the quality of the cards you buy, over the years I've had as more full size SD cards fail than micro-SD cards so I know only buy known brands. Cost more but I only need to buy them once.

Living life on the wild side with microSD and SD Adaptors for mission critical things.

Amazon market place did supply me with a counter fit microSD once. Failed. Examination of the microSD, the packaging and the adaptor checked all the boxes for a counterfeit as published on the web. It had failed. Got my money back. 128gb one.

Only buy Amazon Prime supplied ones now not Market place ones. They had switched the re-order from Prime to Market Place. Something I now check if buying more. Pretty well known that counterfeit ones are sold on the Market Place although been reported by Prime as well.

The cost of memory is so cheap these days buying the right thing for the job isn't that expensive. Kingston 32gb ones were quite reasonable the other day, ditto Sandisk Extreme 64gb the other day. Might be using that for map updates next year... You never know.

Just now, del68 said:

what files to i need to extract for the mib2

Well if it's the standard mib2 with SD then a 2019 Tiguan Discover Media. If its the mib2 high then it's the pro.

If you head into the Passat 2019 you get mib3, ditto the rest in 2020 who all went over to mib3... or use the author of the threads pages. Columbus is a Pro. The other one Ams-whats it is the Discover Media. SD map card based.

You see MartiniB page makes it easy.

• Like 1

I'm updating the maps for the first time today. Will the MIB continue to update with the ignition off and the car locked? I don't really want to hang around minding the car for six(?) hours!

19 minutes ago, numskull said:

I'm updating the maps for the first time today. Will the MIB continue to update with the ignition off and the car locked? I don't really want to hang around minding the car for six(?) hours!

Method 1 Consumer Use

The customer way of doing it is sort of yes. The process will run on for 20 minutes after you last close the door since the car has systems powered up for 20 minutes after ignition off and lock. It remember where it is, although there might be some roll back a little. Next time the unit gets some power it starts off again... probably from a mid point roll back position. Drive it around etc. Those 20 minutes of power add up. Most people seem to say just over 40 minutes which is a bit surprising since its suppose to be about an hour or more via that method.

Method 2 Techie Use

The other method is via the developers menu, SWDL. That menu is disabled on delivery, you need VCDS/Obdeleven, mib tool etc to enable it. Once enabled you can load up the maps in foreground only from the SWDL command (method 1 is still available). It suspends all other infotainment activity during the process. You need to keep power onto the unit since roll back is to the very start whilst the first method isn't, that method pieces together the powered periods and I believe you can still use the radio (You cant on method 2). Open the door every 15 minutes to keep the power going for just over 40 minutes if the engine is turned off.

Those are the two methods. The latter is only really for techie people. It gets the job done and you can see the process.

(I never do method 1 myself)

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply both!

I've got a Class 10 SD Card so hopefully, leaving the head on its going to be OK - I'll open and close the door during the process. Otherwise it'd be stick it in the garden and leave the ignition job on I guess.

1 minute ago, Jonboy984 said:

I upgraded about two weeks ago, took around 40 mins with a class 10 SD card.  This was with the head unit on and ignition off.

Did you have power for 20 minutes or open the door :dry:.

I prefer to see the process, countries, Eggnogs and the like. 

Suspect newer units have faster processors in them so the 2016 mib2 high is beaten by those that came along later why they get the job done quicker. Use to be over an hour in background mode.

You see the final screen in the developers menu and know job done 😂. Those comforting OKs. Now an honorary Skoda navigation lifetime FeC Seat 🤣.

20210617_214329.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jonboy984 said:

Don't worry about the head unit turning off, when you turn it back on it will continue where it left off.

What I said... method 1 😉.