Another surprise message

Today I'd a poorly passenger who insisted on having a window open a little bit. Not enough to boom or annoy me. A message about aerodynamic drag popped up. WTF? Nearly drove off the road.

How do all those people who "must" have plastic wind deflectors cope with the nagging.

Edited by gregoir
Missing word

Once came back from Wales, in one go, quite impressive MPG in the 1.6 by the way over 70 to the gallon, but 25 minutes from he, it nagged me to take a break, i',d driven 4 hours Mon stop.

Buggered if I was doing that with a cuppa & toast waiting!

Plenty times it's nagged me about Eco driving, at least it isn't s voice command, but I am waiting!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, grldtnr said:

A new eco message turned up.

'don't put your foot on the accelerator ,whilst you have footbrake on'

WTF , I mean why would you?

Someone will have an answer.

13 hours ago, grldtnr said:

No point on VAG vehicles as the ECU software ignores the accelerator input if the brake pedal is pressed.

Why would you? I'm going back a few years (35+) to when I had a Renault 5 GT Turbo, if when approaching a corner I left foot braked while keeping my foot on the accelerator it kept the turbo spooled up so when I came off the brake pedal at the apex there was already turbo boost present so there was no lag and the corner exit was noticeably quicker.

15 hours ago, grldtnr said:

Could be an indication of a faulty brake light switch!

I mean why would you?

Back in the day when driving stall prone carburettor cars setting off on steep hills I used to hold the car on the footbrake whilst giving it a bit of throttle when releasing the clutch. A benefit of having size 13/wide feet!

No need on modern injection cars as the ECU compensates and as previously mentioned if brake pedal operation is detected then the ECU restricts throttle input.

Edited by bigjohn

Before the nanny electronics prevented it operating the three pedals simultaneously with 2 feet was a way to get traction when a vehicle was bogged down or on an incline in snow or ice, now you have to pay extra for a 3 letter acronym which does not do such a good job and gives no driver feedback.

It was also the way (only 2 pedals) for me to drive across the myriad speed bumps in London with my fully loaded people carrier at a reasonable speed without massive suspension travel but I had to shunt the 2nd brake pedal switch to do so, after a few months it threw up a fault code of "brake switch implausible signal" :sadsmile:

It was a harbinger of the future :sadsmile:

Edited by J.R.

I seem to fall foul of the "Do not disengage clutch above 1300 rpm" eco tip. I regularly take an exit off a motorway (120 km/h speed limit) that is uphill to a roundabout so usually press the clutch and use the uphill and light braking to slow the car down as I inevitable have to stop at the roundabout. Looks like I should be going down through the gears to use the engine to slow the car, but I inevitably have to stop and get into first gear at the roundabout while I wait for a gap in the traffic.

• Like 1