Keyless Entry Security

Does anyone know if VAG have upped their game with keyless entry security yet ? There was talk some time ago of some manufactures redesigning the fobs so that when they are left static for a short time, the keyless entry would be disabled.

This probably isn't the correct place to ask, but we have a used Golf MK 8 coming next week and was wondering if security will be better than my Kodiaq.

40 minutes ago, olderman1 said:

Does anyone know if VAG have upped their game with keyless entry security yet ? There was talk some time ago of some manufactures redesigning the fobs so that when they are left static for a short time, the keyless entry would be disabled.

This probably isn't the correct place to ask, but we have a used Golf MK 8 coming next week and was wondering if security will be better than my Kodiaq.

The updated KESSY keys have been standard from MY20 onwards. 

• 3 weeks later...

The correct way to upgrade security would have been to measure signal time rather than the static fob way. When you are moving only slightly the fob is still sending and with a range extender your car can still be driven away.

In addition, you can disable Keyless for each locking cycle.     Lock with fob, then within, I think, 5 seconds, press the lock pad on the door.

Will reset to normal next time it's unlocked.

Octavia 4 allows you to go into Vehicle Settings and permanently disable Keyless, though I don't think any others have it.

24 minutes ago, StewartM said:

In addition, you can disable Keyless for each locking cycle.     Lock with fob, then within, I think, 5 seconds, press the lock pad on the door.

Will reset to normal next time it's unlocked.

Octavia 4 allows you to go into Vehicle Settings and permanently disable Keyless, though I don't think any others have it.

Yes I was aware of this facility and I do use it on my Kodiaq. Trouble is, it appears not to work every time I use it, so I keep my fob in a Faraday bag to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

^^^ +1 

I think within 10 seconds though. I always disable Kessy this way when parked at home without fail. Works every time. You must unlock it with the key fob of course.

Otherwise it’s just too easy to defeat with a relay attack.

Keep safe

• 2 weeks later...

I use a couple of faraday pouches at home.

Perfect every time. Don’t forget to put the spare fob in one.