Is 1.5TSI coasting on D mode while Normal mode selected?

I watched some new videos reviewing 1.5tsi (model year 2020 2021) and noticed that the car enters coasting while in D mode.   In my car it only does it if Eco Mode (E) selected.  Can anybody confirm if the new versions do coasting also in D mode (while Normal mode selected)??  If yes, is it possible do disable it for D mode (while Normal mode selected)??

Edited by eksa

• eksa changed the title to Is 1.5TSI coasting on D mode while Normal mode selected?

I think `eksa` is talking about `coasting` rather than `cylinder deactivation`.

Mine does go into `2 cylinder` mode whilst in `D` but has to be in `Eco` mode in order to `coast`.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, geordiebloke said:

My facelift 1.5 SEL coasts and cylinder deactivation at the same time.

Are you sure? What is the engine rpm when coasting? Or does the engine shutdown completely during coasting?

On 01/06/2021 at 17:45, fergard said:

I drive in Normal and yes, car does 2-cylinder and Coasting in Normal mode. 1.5 TSI ACT.

Thank you.   If it does 2 cyl and coasting in Normal mode then what does the Eco mode do additionally?  

On 02/06/2021 at 23:32, xman said:

Are you sure? What is the engine rpm when coasting? Or does the engine shutdown completely during coasting?

The display in the Maxidot changes from D7 (or whatever gear your in) to D when Eco appears at the bottom and the rev counter drops to idle.

This is didn't happen on my facelift 1.4 auto Octavia or on my 1.4 Golf auto, so appears to be only on the new 1.5. To be honest I'd never noticed until reading this post and I've had the car 18 months.

10 hours ago, geordiebloke said:

The display in the Maxidot changes from D7 (or whatever gear your in) to D when Eco appears at the bottom and the rev counter drops to idle.

Unlikely that its in 2 cylinder mode at idle, the vibration would be horrendous. IIRC VAG documents state that 2 cylinder mode is only activated above 1400rpm and less than 25% of max torque.

The ECO symbol probably comes on when either coasting mode or 2 cylinder mode is active.

Not sure about your car, but on mine, if you have a fuel consumption screen up on the maxidot, it will show a text message "2 cylinder mode" when that is active as well as the eco symbol.

Edited by xman

On 04/06/2021 at 07:05, eksa said:

Thank you.   If it does 2 cyl and coasting in Normal mode then what does the Eco mode do additionally?  

You can check the Eco settings in the driving mode section. Basically whole car goes into 'Eco' mode, including electr. Gas Pedal feedback (less sharp), Gearbox trying to shift up as fast as it can, Climate System operating in economy mode, etc.

hello everyone, 

I own a skoda superb 1.5tsi ACT and yesterday i went to the dealer for the first service. They asked me if there is something wrong with the car so i sad that the car is coasting in D, so i cant drive the car in D mode, only in S mode because it is very annoying. After the service was complete, they said thats how the car works in D mode, there is nothing wrong with that, and they cant change it. 

Do you know how to stop the car do coasting in D mode? Maybe from the display...i dont have driving select mode. 

PS: the cars petrol consumption in D mode is a lot higher that in S mode because of the stupid coasting. the car doesnt do engine break in D mode. 

thank you 

On 10/06/2021 at 07:25, sandman84 said:

hello everyone, 

I own a skoda superb 1.5tsi ACT and yesterday i went to the dealer for the first service. They asked me if there is something wrong with the car so i sad that the car is coasting in D, so i cant drive the car in D mode, only in S mode because it is very annoying. After the service was complete, they said thats how the car works in D mode, there is nothing wrong with that, and they cant change it. 

Do you know how to stop the car do coasting in D mode? Maybe from the display...i dont have driving select mode. 

PS: the cars petrol consumption in D mode is a lot higher that in S mode because of the stupid coasting. the car doesnt do engine break in D mode. 

thank you 

I don't know if it's possible, but I once had a Passat which only had 'D' and 'S' modes, no Eco.  It would coast in 'D' mode, so I would drive in 'S'.  I then discovered that coasting could be turned off in MFD.

It might be worth a look.

May be, I miss something in your comments guys, but IMHO, there are 2 things to be considered.

- Driving profil selected from the button close to the gear lever ('Comfort' / 'Normal' / 'Sport' / 'Eco' / 'Individual')

- Gear lever mode either D (said to be 'Normal') or S (for 'Sport'), selected by pulling the gear lever backwards.

AFAIK, coasting is only possible in 'Eco' mode and gear lever in 'D' mode.

Edited by Bap33

10 hours ago, Bap33 said:

AFAIK, coasting is only possible in 'Eco' mode and gear lever in 'D' mode.

Wrong. I drive on 'D' and 'Normal' 99% of the time, and Coasting Mode is there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The OP says what engine they are asking about.

It really gets confusing when people start comparing what the latest or earliest 1.5 TSI with ACT and a 7 speed DSG does and other petrol or diesels with 6 or 7 speed DSG's witch do not have ACT or a DQ200 DSG..

They are not all equal or do their thing in the same way.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/494047-coasting

On 17/06/2021 at 00:44, fergard said:

Wrong. I drive on 'D' and 'Normal' 99% of the time, and Coasting Mode is there.

Strange that VAG/Skoda have changed the DSG control laws.

I don't have this on my DSG6 DQ250. If I really enjoy it, I doubt I would be satisfied with coasting as a 'standard' mode on my car.

• Like 1

Bad engineering idea to lower CO2 emissions :dull:.

I'll really take my time to have a test drive on my next car to check it doesn't have this stupid default setting!

I don't feel in a safe car, when coasting is activated! 

Additionally, I don't see how it can really save fuel and CO2 emissions since coasting sets the engine ~at idle, whereas normal mode fully shuts fuel injection and hence makes no CO2 emission at all. A quick look at instant consumption display on the dashboard simply confirms this. :dry:  

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

I imagine its due to being able to coast for much longer than having no throttle input - in gear-  on the approach to a stop or slight downhill. Ie low emiisions for a 'long' time rather 'no' emissions for a short time.  The DSG seems to be quite keen to engine brake, shifting down to 2nd when i may have just dipped the clutch and covered the brake in a manual.