Coasting

pragmatix

@pragmatix It seems odd that no other Karoq owner is reporting experiencing coasting in 'D'. 

Might be worth checking with the dealer if this is actually a new 'feature' or a defect of your car to be corrected.

Edited by Gerrycan

1 hour ago, Gerrycan said:

@pragmatix It seems odd that no other Karoq owner is reporting experiencing coasting in 'D'. 

Might be worth checking with the dealer if this is actually a new 'feature' or a defect of your car to be corrected.

It's correct, maybe because I have the newest car on here , built last week of March, I got it on 30April , or maybe they haven't noticed.

13 hours ago, pragmatix said:

It's correct, maybe because I have the newest car on here , built last week of March, I got it on 30April , or maybe they haven't noticed.

So you have a MY21 Karoq ? Mine is a MY21 and can't say I've experienced this "coasting"

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@whitevx Which engine and gearbox does your Karoq have?    People might have something in their signature to the left but on a phone that might not be visible 

Superb discussion.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/494029-is-15tsi-coasting-on-d-node-while-normal-mode-selected

EA888 with a DSG gearbox

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@whitevx

So in easy to understand for non Engine Experts is that a 2.0 TSI with a 7 speed wet clutch DSG?

Do those come with a GPF in Australia?

Correct on all accounts but the GPF is called PPF p for petrol 😀

• Like 1

In ECO mode with DSG  I found yesterday going down fairly gentle long slopes in Glen Clova that the car gradually slowed down, whereas on straight flat roads it carried similar speed for a reasonable distance, quite bizarre. Barely worth all the effort, as driving intelligently with anticipation in Normal, I can get similar economy as other members have remarked that the fuel shuts off on the overrun. 

• Like 1

@Redboyyou were only a few miles away from me yesterday at some point.

Did you notice if you used the Glen as it should be which is like a one way system & going in the high road to the hotel you can use less fuel and get more coasting than coming back out to Gella Bridge where you join the top road again?

Easily noticeable when cycling it which way is easier on the legs.

DSCN5556.JPG

DSCN5554.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

@e-Roottoot I waved at a guy on a mountain type bike all in black who looked like you not far from Glen Clova hotel, (picture from the car park) about 2pm yesterday. Not you? We used the high road driving in and out. Lovely weather up here. 

8E1EA90D-B318-4F99-9E11-AC9658C6490C.jpeg

• Like 1

I am high vizzed up top to tail in yellow & orange and still get near misses all the time.

I was just up as far as Dykehead on my bike and then up towards Glen Prosen, (to the Monument stone to Scott / Wilson of the Antarctic) then home is nearly all downhill. 

I would not cycle in Glen Clova or to Glen Doll at this time of the year.

?

Are you on a roadtrip?

My ride up to my high point is gradual and has the view up to above the Clova Hotel most of the way and the sun behind me early on and then downhill home into the sun.

I am rather red faced from the last few days on the bike, but with a white head from the helmet on.

DSCN4006.JPG.7c7a4b51a333e1167e0d1187da81abf4.jpeg

DSCN4019.JPG.96a045a7fc017c182cbfdca1798f0312.jpeg

DSCN0818.JPG.5a1469409d930528ce212309f7ffaa42.jpeg

DSCN0823.JPG.3a252e15aea4c1de536ecc3108bea9fd.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot

Ken Bruce on Radio 2 told a story some years ago about a delivery driver turning up in Brechin and not being able to find the address he had to deliver to. He stopped to ask a local, they checked the paperwork and it transpired the address was in Brecon, North Wales.  Oh the perils of satellite navigation. 

Tom

I can confirm that the car goes in "D" in "Normal mode" on my Karoq manufactured in March 2021. It usually happens if I drive on ACC at set speed around 40-50 km/h on a levelled road and then I pause the ACC with the lever (not pressing the brake). It does not work every single time, but it happens may be 30% of the time.

I like coasting... this is how I was taught to drive manual - let it free roll to slow down by itself and only put it in gear on a downhill :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like this coasting function in normal mode. It is good to have this functionality in Eco mode when you select it,   but it not good that you cannot disable it even on Normal mode..   How can coasting be called "normal" way of driving??

I think engine braking is something that is necessary which gives the driver more control and comfort without touching the breakes everytime..

Same thing with ACT.. it would be good to have it for Eco mode but why is it a part of normal mode??  Why do i have to drive in the most economical way all the time? I just want 4 cyl to be ready all the time without a switching operation which takes some miliseconds which i will definitely feel.

We will replace our company cars this year, my first choice would be superb again but learning that there are these new functions which cannnot be disabled, I will look for other options which doesn't limit you between Sports mode and "Most Economic Mode Possible"

As soon as you touch the brake the clutch engaged and engine braking is engaged in this mode and stays on until you touch the accelerator again.

I do wonder though if the fuel needed to keep the engine at tickover is using more than keeping clutch engaged and reverse driving the engine with zero fuel consumption whilst engine braking

Easy enough time after time if you do the same trips in different weather and different seasons to using coasting function and other times not. You can save fuel / get more range and do the trip in the same time.   If you can't then maybe that is just down to how you drive, or where you drive.

Not a Karoq, but my 2020 Kodiaq also chooses to coast in Normal mode.

Showing a D on the dash and freewheeling at every opportunity.

I hate it.

So I just click a shift paddle and put it into gear.

I never use ECO mode. A complete PITA.

Sport mode of course has it’s place, but I don’t always want to be holding gears for a long time or changing down early.

There’s a time and place for that fun mode.

The car manufacturers are throwing all sorts of  “Features” at us that we’d rather not have at all.

Late to the party but yeah mine coasts in normal mode under certain conditions too, MY21 SEL 1.5. I don't mind it at all and managed 52mpg on the trip from Glencarse to Dundee earlier in the week, first time it's hit 50+ since new last month 😀

I use the eco mode a lot on longer trips when I remember to select it. That enables coasting in my my20 car.

I have the 190ps and performance is perfectly adequate in this mode most of the time. Anywhere I need the extra performance eg coming out of a junction or into a roundabout or braking for a bend and expecting to accelerate out it is simple to knock the lever for sport mode for a few seconds then knock again back to eco. I suppose in lower power versions it could cause performance issues?

I have tried selecting sport mode in settings. What does this do different to pulling back on the lever? In sport mode if. You pull back the lever it goes to drive mode and I can’t tell any difference in other settings apart from gear change points.

I have read that steering settings change in sport mode when selected via the menu but can’t tell any difference?

Edited by kenfowler3966

Really there is not much point in comparing an engine that had not got ACT and does not have a 7 speed twin dry clutch DQ200 DSG.  Both are cars but are running software / engine management to get different emissions for the WLTP / RDE and now the latest ok ned the RDE2.  

16 hours ago, FortyXRoq said:

Late to the party but yeah mine coasts in normal mode under certain conditions too, MY21 SEL 1.5. I don't mind it at all and managed 52mpg on the trip from Glencarse to Dundee earlier in the week, first time it's hit 50+ since new last month 😀

I only manage 36 ish on that route.

I drive a manual 1.4tsi Octavia and have commented  on here a few times on my findings on the merits of coasting.

A modern direct injected petrol engine behaves more like a diesel insofar as it does not have a throttle (that a port injected or old carby engine requires) this reduces the pumping losses compared to older fueled engines at small throttle settings.

Australia uses the metric system and with the L/100 setting it shows the consumption at tickover (my car does not have stop/start) of a remarkably low 0.5L/hour which is the same as my previous 1.9pd. If I raise the revs to 1500rpm then consumption is 1.5L/hour.

When coasting at only 20kph with a tickover consumption of 0.5L/100 that translates to 2.5L/100 (113mpg), and coasting at 100kph (565mpg)

There is a long descent on a dual carriageway that I used to use regularly, the gradient was such that if I left it in gear and on cruise control at 100kph (no other cars around me) then there was a small amount of engine braking and the cruise control would have to apply a tiny amount of throttle to maintain the set speed so consumption was around 1.5L/100 (188mpg). If I disengaged gears then the gradient was enough to allow the car to maintain 100kph (maybe even increase) with consumption of 0.5L/100 (565 mpg).

If I had a car or truck in front lowering the wind resistance then I had to stay in gear to avoid running into it and consumption was of course zero fuel.

I have frequently commented how little engine braking the 1.4tsi offers and can only imagine how low that engine braking is with the 1.5tsi and two deactivated cylinders.

That is not a problem on the largely flat terrain on which I drive but you sure would have to use the brakes a lot if you live in steep terrain.

I'll just say that coasting does have a role in promoting good consumption but it does depend on the driver's abilities and the road conditions and is not always the best option in all conditions. 

Edited by Gerrycan

Some never touch the brake pedal unless a tap on it to take out of coasting momentarily.  Then drop a gear because they are driving a 'semi automatic' basically an automated manual.  There is engine breaking with 1.4 TSI,s with or without ACT.  As there is with a 1.5 TSI.  and if you need to drop 2 gears from 7 to 5 then all you are doing is much the same as someone in a 6 speed manual dropping to 5th.

Edited by e-Roottoot