Electric tailgate opens fully, then lowers a bit?

When I open the boot, it opens fully as I would want, but then immediately returns back ~20cm. I pushed it back up and long-pressed the closing button to save the position, but it does not help. Is there some other feature in play or is there some problem?

• 3 months later...

Hi, I tried to scan with Carista OBD, not sure if that counts as a "scan" as you meant it, but it didn't tell anything about tailgate. I tried to investigate which side is faulty by unplugging them separately and trying to operate, but I only get a single "beep" sound whenever I try to open or close, so it seems it does not even try with either unplugged. The other side is clearly more noisy when operating. I wonder is the noisier the healthy one or the faulty... New one (single piece) seems to be 450 eur around here 🤑 I'd rather have broken tailgate than pay that haha, but would like to investigate the motor myself.

Do you know are the right and left really different physically? They have A/B difference in product number but one would imagine such thing could be built symmetrically. In case I cannot figure out which one is bad, I could buy one used and just try...

On 14/09/2021 at 11:32, Stuom said:

Hi, I tried to scan with Carista OBD, not sure if that counts as a "scan" as you meant it, but it didn't tell anything about tailgate. I tried to investigate which side is faulty by unplugging them separately and trying to operate, but I only get a single "beep" sound whenever I try to open or close, so it seems it does not even try with either unplugged. The other side is clearly more noisy when operating. I wonder is the noisier the healthy one or the faulty... New one (single piece) seems to be 450 eur around here 🤑 I'd rather have broken tailgate than pay that haha, but would like to investigate the motor myself.

can you not replace struts with manual struts, should be a lot cheaper

47 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

I believe you can but as Sasha says the power struts can be had much, much cheaper if you look around and seem pretty easy to replace. 

On 17/09/2021 at 10:21, 310golfr said:

This is not necessarily the case as you would also need to change the boot lock, remove the soft closer, change coding, change the ball joints and buy gas struts. New aftermarket or good used struts can be had quite cheaply. I retrofitted the power tailgate to my Octy and those struts are hella expensive but even then I got used ones for a not unreasonable price. I was tripping over used Superb struts from £60 a side and the power bootlid is such a boom IMO it’s worth it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 19/09/2021 at 14:03, SashaGrace said:

This is not necessarily the case as you would also need to change the boot lock, remove the soft closer, change coding, change the ball joints and buy gas struts. New aftermarket or good used struts can be had quite cheaply. I retrofitted the power tailgate to my Octy and those struts are hella expensive but even then I got used ones for a not unreasonable price. I was tripping over used Superb struts from £60 a side and the power bootlid is such a boom IMO it’s worth it.

Hi Sasha where you would recommend I look for such items for my octy scout please? Are the struts all I need or is there with items?? 

7 hours ago, 417original said:

Hi Sasha where you would recommend I look for such items for my octy scout please? Are the struts all I need or is there with items?? 

There’s a lot more you need.

latch and motor

struts

wiring loom

control module 

I’m assuming you have a manual boot

29 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

There’s a lot more you need.

latch and motor

struts

wiring loom

control module 

I’m assuming you have a manual boot

Yeah that’s right - would have been nice to just buy a ‘kit’ but ah well, I’ll continue to use my arm 😊

3 hours ago, 417original said:

Yeah that’s right - would have been nice to just buy a ‘kit’ but ah well, I’ll continue to use my arm 😊

You can buy a kit for the mk4 which is about £600, probably similar price for the mk3 kit. Then a lot of wiring.

• 1 year later...

I've had this issue. I opted to let it drop then press and hold the button. Now it doesn't drop slightly after opening.