Urgent Help!! Oil compatibility Fabia mk2 2007 1.2 htp 60 cv

Is this oil compatible with the fabia 2007 1.2 htp?

castrol oil

in the manual of the car it says that the compatible specs are: 

VW 501 01

VW 502 00

VW 504 00 

before this change i put this last year:

https://www.castrol.com/es_es/spain/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_5w-30-ll

They cheated my mom in the garage? is dangerous running the car with this oil?

answer please my friends. thank you

The A3/B4 version claims to be 502 and 504 compliant so okay to use as long as you replace the oil and filter once a year or 15K kmts which ever the car reaches first.

If leaving the oil in the car for longer then the Edge LL will be more suitable - seeing as you have mentioned using previously.

Dude, relax, it's a low performance non-turbo gasoline engine despite what the spittle-flecked spergies would have you believe, it really doesn't matter as long as it's car engine oil and you change it according to schedule.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

The A3/B4 version claims to be 502 and 504 compliant so okay to use as long as you replace the oil and filter once a year or 15K kmts which ever the car reaches first.

If leaving the oil in the car for longer then the Edge LL will be more suitable - seeing as you have mentioned using previously.

thanks for the answer but

That's the problem i was thinking they were puting the A3/B4 version, they put the  505.01 C3  version, check my first link.

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

Don't worry, it probably has better protection for the chain than one that is 50200/50500 rated.

Thank you for answering.

So 

• VW 505 00/505 01  

is ok for gasoline engine?  When I arrived in my house and checked the bottle and read Diesel , I was a little scared because the car it´s not mine and I don´t want bad surprises.  I apreciate your help guys.

Yeah, most oils are dual-labeled with the relevant diesel and petrol standards.  Most 505 00 and 505 01 oils are also marked as 502 00 compliant; the reason this one isn't marked as such may simply be that it is primarily aimed at the diesel owner as it is DPF compatible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wino said:

Yeah, most oils are dual-labeled with the relevant diesel and petrol standards.  Most 505 00 and 505 01 oils are also marked as 502 00 compliant; the reason this one isn't marked as such may simply be that it is primarily aimed at the diesel owner as it is DPF compatible.

So for gasoline engine what is the big difference between the two:

I wanted this https://www.castrol.com/es_es/spain/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_5w-40-a3-b4

they put this https://www.castrol.com/es_es/spain/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/engine-oil-brands/castrol-magnatec-brand/castrol-magnatec.html#tab_diesel-5w-40-dpf

and why you said that the VW 505 00/505 01 diesel labeled  probably has better protection for the chain?

I´m learning for the future , thank you man.

505 01 has special additives to solve cam wear problems that became apparent on the PD diesel engines when they were getting 505 00.  The same additives are probably good at protecting timing chain components, but I'm not a qualified tribologist, so cannot  promise this. @weasley may have suitable knowledge, if he chooses to comment.

Interestingly, if you look up the oil you have in the engine now, on erwin skoda's approved oil list it is rated as 505 00 / 505 01, just as Castrol claim, but if you look up the same oil on an older version of the same information, it also shows as 502 00 compliant (502 00 being the petrol engine standard), so I expect the main change is in the way VW group wish to label their oils now.  Only one oil is shown as 502 00/ 505 00/ 505 01 now, where there used to be a whole table-full.

Saved info:

Screenshot 2021-07-01 15.03.54.png

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 16:11, Wino said:

505 01 has special additives to solve cam wear problems that became apparent on the PD diesel engines when they were getting 505 00.  The same additives are probably good at protecting timing chain components, but I'm not a qualified tribologist, so cannot  promise this. @weasley may have suitable knowledge, if he chooses to comment.

Interestingly, if you look up the oil you have in the engine now, on erwin skoda's approved oil list it is rated as 505 00 / 505 01, just as Castrol claim, but if you look up the same oil on an older version of the same information, it also shows as 502 00 compliant (502 00 being the petrol engine standard), so I expect the main change is in the way VW group wish to label their oils now.  Only one oil is shown as 502 00/ 505 00/ 505 01 now, where there used to be a whole table-full.

Saved info:

Screenshot 2021-07-01 15.03.54.png

Check this out, I downloaded two PDF´s with the characteristics of the oil, in one like you posted in the image above says is compliant with the VW 502 00 specification , in the other only says VW 505 00/ 505 01 , but in the technical characteristics  like viscosity index gives different values. This means that are not exactly the same oil?

BPXE-B3ESUZ.pdf castrol-magnatec-diesel-5w40-dpf.pdf

Dunno.

Wondering if the change in classifications is due to the introduction of E10 petrol, and some consequence on the oils that can/can't best cope with it?

Edited by Wino

46 minutes ago, Wino said:

Dunno.

Wondering if the change in classifications is due to the introduction of E10 petrol, and some consequence on the oils that can/can't best cope with it?

But is still safe to use the one in my engine right?

OK, first things first - the car will be fine.

Next, some more details.  VW used to allow the bundling of 505 00/505 01 and 502 00 together but a few years ago adjusted the specifications to separate the 502 00 away from 505 00/505 01, hence why you see a change to the product data sheets.  Note the publication dates of the two attached above are April 2012 and August 2018 - always go with the newer one.

505 00 and 505 01 are specifically diesel engine oil specifications.  505 00 is higher ash (based on ACEA A3/B4) so is for pre-DPF engines, whereas 505 01 is lower ash (based on ACEA C3) for DPF-equipped engines.  Worth noting though that 504 00 is a gasoline engine spec but is also reduced ash level and based on ACEA C3 (as it is always bundled with 507 00).  505 01 is a more robust spec than 505 00 and includes protection for PD engines, so is a robust oil and, if anything, over-engineered for the OP's Fabia.

Knowing what I know I would have a word with the workshop as to why they put a diesel-specified oil in a gasoline engine to see how they react, but I'd do it knowing that the engine was fine and I'd have no qualms about leaving it in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, weasley said:

why they put a diesel-specified oil in a gasoline engine to see how they react

Yes. It does rather suggest having a detergent pack and a base that you don't actually need...

4 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Yes. It does rather suggest having a detergent pack and a base that you don't actually need...

Yes and no.  For many years ACEA have lumped petrol and diesel specs together and many OEMs did the same (for example VW insist that 504 00 is always given with 507 00 so for a petrol engine using longlife engine oil you get the diesel cover thrown in), although in recent years we are seeing them diverge again as efficiency and emissions demands drive oil specificity for the best outcome.

But for the engine and oil in question here - yeah, it's fine!  It's a 5W-40 too, so you may lose a decimal point on fuel economy but it will soothe the older engine nicely.  5W-40 is permitted under the specs that the car demands (it is included in 502 00).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...