Weird clicking/popping sound O4, vRS Estate Petrol DSG

May be useful...

I have taken my privacy setting down from "share my position" to "use my position" and have not had the pop-pop sound since.

Only downside is the loss of parking position in the MySkoda app, but this is preferable (for me) to regular SOS failures.

Edited by Skody123
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skody123 said:

May be useful...

I have taken my privacy setting down from "share my position" to "use my position" and have not had the pop-pop sound since.

Only downside is the loss of parking position in the MySkoda app, but this is preferable (for me) to regular SOS failures.

Thanks for sharing. Worth a try.

On 26/08/2021 at 19:22, AndyT60 said:

JoshKea9 - you don’t have to put up with quiet journeys, there is a short-term fix to re-set the infotainment system after an SoS related lock up. Press the emergency SoS red button above your head, after a short..ish wait you will hear a voice confirming the sos call and giving you a option to press again to cancel. Press to cancel at this point and you should find your infotainment system comes back online. This should keep you going  (it will happen again) until the software fix.

Tried this - while it worked a couple of times, the third time it directly dialled 999 and I couldn't cancel the call... so after a short apologetic (from my side) conversation with the emergency call centre, they hung up and I've never tried pushing the SOS button again since then.

22 hours ago, Skody123 said:

May be useful...

Update, just had the pop-pop again. Now trying privacy setting at "No position data" ☹️

28 minutes ago, Skody123 said:

Update, just had the pop-pop again. Now trying privacy setting at "No position data" ☹️

😞 

I guess "no position data" means no satnav?

Mine went in to the dealer yesterday to try and fix this and they told me that after speaking to Skoda technical they were instructed to do a hard reset and then only reload some of the updates it went in for a couple of weeks ago.

Seems that perhaps some of the recent software updates might be causing the issue.

Would make sense as mine has been trouble free, (software wise) until it had a whole day of updates done.

Fingers crossed that's that sorted.

6 hours ago, jimc vrs said:

mine is going in on weds for a full system update  , having the car all day   ,  we ll see what happens 

Mine went in for a full day of updates a couple of weeks ago, then the SOS issue started.

Hopefully by now you'd have thought Skoda would have sent out instructions to dealers on which updates to miss out to prevent it happening, but then my dealer only contacted Skoda to see if they had any idea on how to fix the SOS issue, so I'm not sure if there is any communication from HQ down.

Fingers crossed yours gets sorted ok.

• 3 months later...

Today I had a similar problem. The popping sound won't stop, only after disconnecting my batter, after few minutes it stops. It's really annoying as it discharges my battery. 

The other option was to take out f19 jumper, after few minutes it stops making the noise.

Everything except radio menu works. Camera, Bluetooth calls work but when I want to go into settings it is loading all the time. The only error I get is sos malfunction on the dashboard. The noise comes from a speaker on the dashboard.

The car is turned off, the engine sound is from a different car.

Any ideas how to disable it ?  Sos button does not work 

My vrs went in last month for 3 days of updates. I had the sos pop before it went in. And now it's on the newest software it's even more frequent and knocks out my infotainment system. I even lost my digital speedo screen a few week back both screen completely blank. Skoda say there's no solution. 

Does it pop when the car is off ? That ridiculous - tomorrow I going to the dealer and Im not leaving until they find a fix. The car I 6 months old, 9k km 😕

My friend who works in other Skoda dealership as mechanic, says that they have to replace the sos module. Although because of the chip shortage one of the customers has been waiting for 3 weeks now, driving replacement car. 

39 minutes ago, gavshelton said:

My vrs went in last month for 3 days of updates. I had the sos pop before it went in. And now it's on the newest software it's even more frequent and knocks out my infotainment system. I even lost my digital speedo screen a few week back both screen completely blank. Skoda say there's no solution. 

What version are you on? I had an update to 1788 some time ago - the SOS pop never happened since then. Still some minor bugs, such as the ACC, the sync of the climate control, but nothing too big. 

5 minutes ago, gavshelton said:

Don't think it pops when car is off. But I've had my car 9moths done 15000 miles and my list of issues is huge. I love the car but totally regret trading in my mk3 for the mk4 

Apparently, every car is different.... what software version are you on?

21 hours ago, Grusio said:

Today I had a similar problem. The popping sound won't stop, only after disconnecting my batter, after few minutes it stops. It's really annoying as it discharges my battery. 

The other option was to take out f19 jumper, after few minutes it stops making the noise.

Everything except radio menu works. Camera, Bluetooth calls work but when I want to go into settings it is loading all the time. The only error I get is sos malfunction on the dashboard. The noise comes from a speaker on the dashboard.

The car is turned off, the engine sound is from a different car.

Any ideas how to disable it ?  Sos button does not work 

That's very odd. Seems like a combo of a software and hardware issue.... What software version are you on?

1 hour ago, Tishout said:

That's very odd. Seems like a combo of a software and hardware issue.... What software version are you on?

I cannot check now. I've accepted OTA update last Wednesday. But I don't know only Minos ones are OTA. I picked up the on 23rd of July. 

Now jumper 19 shuts down the popping although to have the virtual cockpit I have to have it in. So I'm taking it off only when the car is parked. It's pooping and strange sound follows like something mechanical idk.

maybe that something with the temperature - on Friday it was the lowest temp this year -11C at night.

I loved my car, now I hate it, it f uppped up my Xmas time with the family-trying to sort it out. The only reason I bought a brand new car is to transport my family without this problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grusio said:

I cannot check now. I've accepted OTA update last Wednesday. But I don't know only Minos ones are OTA. I picked up the on 23rd of July. 

Now jumper 19 shuts down the popping although to have the virtual cockpit I have to have it in. So I'm taking it off only when the car is parked. It's pooping and strange sound follows like something mechanical idk.

maybe that something with the temperature - on Friday it was the lowest temp this year -11C at night.

I loved my car, now I hate it, it f uppped up my Xmas time with the family-trying to sort it out. The only reason I bought a brand new car is to transport my family without this problems.

What did you put in the tank to make it do that? 😆

So even a guy up above with 1810 version still has the prob. 31st March fix , hmmm not looking good , too much to fix. Kinda cascade effect fix one prob kills the next.  As VWFS told me they are manufacturing this fix. Hmm manufacturing rather than coding? I think new units need installed

I managed to get an appointment today, sos module is broken and has to be replaced. They ordered a new one and will have it in 2 days so hopefully I will have my car back for the new years eve.

They gave me Skoda fabia with manual transmission. It's really hard to drive manual after 5 years with dsg only 😅

• Like 1