Stolen: Race Blue Vrs Combi WA14YZU

9 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Probably better to start another thread on this, but if they want it they will get it. There is not a single thing you could do to the car that they could not get you to undo at knife/gun/crowbar/machete point at 3am in your house. 

If they break in looking for keys they are fully aware they might meet the owner and generally come prepared for that eventuality. My place is more secure than most, they would not get in quietly and between dogs and shotguns I would give them a run for their money but you have to ask yourself how much a replicable car is worth in injury and agro.

Ghost with transmission lock (if you have a DSG) is probably the one that would fool them best (if fitted well) , A tracker that is dormant until activated is another good one, but if you see the way they are driven ........... would you want it back?

This is one of the reasons I chose my less appealing SE L over the vRS, the reluctance to have to deal with the unwanted attention.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Ghost"? I've had a search on here and couldn't find a relevant reference.

4 hours ago, flybynite said:

A tracker that is dormant until activated is another good one

Any professional car thief will simply park the car up in a container with the car battery disconnected until the backup battery on the tracker runs out.

52 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Any professional car thief will simply park the car up in a container with the car battery disconnected until the backup battery on the tracker runs out.

Most just ditch them hidden half an hour round the corner to wait, but there are trackers that can remain dormant for over 12 months. There are some that can also penetrate a container.

Cheap option if you have newish high spec Apple or Samsung phones are the apple Airtag or Samsung Smart tag+.

There is a review here 

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-reviews/car-tracking-apple-airtag-v-samsung-smarttag-v-gps-comparison-review-which-is-best

Unfortunately, No news at the moment. 

21 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Take it this depends on where it is a device that constantly reports it location, to one that only reports its location when asked. 

• Sad 1

On 21/07/2021 at 09:49, EnterName said:

Bearing in mind WayTooTall's loss, are there any recommendations for boosting Octavia vehicle security?

It seems like a tough task to prevent vehicles being stolen when the thieves are able to steal the keys and simply drive them away. :worried:

There are third party alarm systems where you need to enter a code otherwise the car will be turned off. Look at the Clifford BlackJax system. But then you have the hassle of entering the code everytime to drive the car.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

Unfortunately, No news at the moment. 

You managing alright without it at the moment? I know when you're suddenly down a car, it's not just the theft. it's the unexpected lack of transport that causes problems. :sadsmile:

I'm not entirely sure whether you can get a courtesy car from the insurers until you formally make a claim.

3 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

There are third party alarm systems where you need to enter a code otherwise the car will be turned off. Look at the Clifford BlackJax system. But then you have the hassle of entering the code everytime to drive the car.

Yeah, the Ghost system looks good, but the constant code entry for a shared car means it's probably a non-starter for us. (Ironically.)

A mechanical transmission lock seems to be a good option for my car with the DSG.

14 minutes ago, EnterName said:

You managing alright without it at the moment? I know when you're suddenly down a car, it's not just the theft. it's the unexpected lack of transport that causes problems. :sadsmile:

I'm not entirely sure whether you can get a courtesy car from the insurers until you formally make a claim.

Fortunately because I drive a lot for my job, I have a man shed (an old BMW) that takes the brunt of the miles (it will cross 225,000 miles today). It also means I don't have to rush and get a car right now, I can take a little time to find the car I want. 

The claim has been approved, we just have a difference of opinion on the value. 

• Like 2

On 21/07/2021 at 11:43, flybynite said:

Probably better to start another thread on this, but if they want it they will get it. There is not a single thing you could do to the car that they could not get you to undo at knife/gun/crowbar/machete point at 3am in your house. 

If they break in looking for keys they are fully aware they might meet the owner and generally come prepared for that eventuality. My place is more secure than most, they would not get in quietly and between dogs and shotguns I would give them a run for their money but you have to ask yourself how much a replicable car is worth in injury and agro.

Ghost with transmission lock (if you have a DSG) is probably the one that would fool them best (if fitted well) , A tracker that is dormant until activated is another good one, but if you see the way they are driven ........... would you want it back?

It would ultimately depend on her condition, but the answer would most likely be yes. She has been made mine over the years.

On 17/07/2021 at 16:08, WayTooTall said:

Annoyingly,  I upgraded to a MIB 2.5 unit, but you can't subscribe to the online services, because as far as Skoda are concerned the car cannot be connected.

Also the data sim I bought, I just put into the car and didn't take the number.

Also the VCDS map I have of the unit, doesn't include its EMEI number.

If you have the paper/plastic it came with or gave a name when you purchased it, then the can get the imei number. 👍

edit:

Sorry didn’t see the post saying claim agreed. At this point I’d just get the correct value, especially as second hand cars are at a high currently.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

10 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

If you have the paper/plastic it came with or gave a name when you purchased it, then the can get the imei number. 👍

edit:

Sorry didn’t see the post saying claim agreed. At this point I’d just get the correct value, especially as second hand cars are at a high currently.

It was just a Three fixed data sim from Amazon that I bought years ago and I just threw the piece of paper away, or at least I can't find it.  Nothing on the Amazon invoice gives any details of the card. 

The IMEI is the serial number of the equipment (i.e. the MIB2) hence the E for Equipment.

The serial number of the SIM card is the IMSI number hence the S for Subscriber.

Sorry to hear about this @WayTooTall

Many years ago (probably coming on 20) I had a 944S2 which had what I thought was quite a clever immobiliser system that would kick in if you didn't do "something" within, say 30s. I *think* I needed to press a hidden button with a sequence but what struck me as clever was it would let you (or the thief) drive the car for a certain period of time before killing the engine at idle at the first opportunity. This allowed some distance to be put between you and them. I'm sure things have moved on but as said above, if someone breaks into my house, I'm going to let them take my car. It's not worth trying to do otherwise IMO. But a solution that lets them take it and disables it (safely) after a short period of time might be useful?  

6 hours ago, MikeO68 said:

Sorry to hear about this @WayTooTall

Many years ago (probably coming on 20) I had a 944S2 which had what I thought was quite a clever immobiliser system that would kick in if you didn't do "something" within, say 30s. I *think* I needed to press a hidden button with a sequence but what struck me as clever was it would let you (or the thief) drive the car for a certain period of time before killing the engine at idle at the first opportunity. This allowed some distance to be put between you and them. I'm sure things have moved on but as said above, if someone breaks into my house, I'm going to let them take my car. It's not worth trying to do otherwise IMO. But a solution that lets them take it and disables it (safely) after a short period of time might be useful?  

The modern day version is called Ghost. See it here

Yes, I had a read of that from the link earlier in the thread. The distinction I was making was the delay to allow the thief to put some distance between you and them for safety (eg in a carjack situation or when your house is broken into).

It may well do that but I didn't see any mention of it. Just that "The Ghost uses the buttons in your vehicle such as those on the steering wheel, door panels or centre console, to allow you to make a unique, changeable, disarm sequence (like a PIN code) that must first be entered before you can drive your car" (my bold).

15 minutes ago, MikeO68 said:

Yes, I had a read of that from the link earlier in the thread. The distinction I was making was the delay to allow the thief to put some distance between you and them for safety (eg in a carjack situation or when your house is broken into).

It may well do that but I didn't see any mention of it. Just that "The Ghost uses the buttons in your vehicle such as those on the steering wheel, door panels or centre console, to allow you to make a unique, changeable, disarm sequence (like a PIN code) that must first be entered before you can drive your car" (my bold).

Just a random thought, but if you have a KESSY car, could you have a fake KESSY key that could be used to fool thieves into thinking they had the key?

Then they would start the car, drive off, only to find the car stops working after they get off the drive and away from the real key.

Yes they could figure out what actually happened, it's a high stress situation, they think they already have the key, and the car of unknown provenance they've just nicked has conked out on them. Chances are, they'll just leg it.

Even if they don't, it still gives you a couple of minutes to do something in response to what has happened.

The flaw in the plan is that you'd essentially need to leave your car unlocked in advance.

Hmm, a few bugs to iron out of my cunning plan, I think. :D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Extreme3d said:

The modern day version is called Ghost. See it here

No the modern day version is called 'anti-hijack' 

Ghost has the capability but will not do that in the UK. Ghost has the transmission lock, which will let the engine start but cut it when put in gear (DSG only)

Some good alarms can do anti-hijack, and can be set to do it from alarm activation.