Automatic gear shift handle

Hi folks

I bought a new Superb 10 months ago, about 6 months in to it the chrome began peeling from the gearstick (auto box),  see attached photo

The dealer couldn't get Skoda to cover it under warranty and they replaced it - all good

A couple of months with the new stick fitted, it has started peeling again, now Skoda don't want to know but they can't explain why it's happened and claim that this has never been a complaint from anyone else in the world - apart from me

Is there anyone out there that has experienced anything like this?  Surely it's not just me?

Would love to hear from you

Thanks

Gearstick.jpg

Are you using a lot of desinfectant on your hands? Have you had that issue with any other cars you owned? Im asking because its known to have people that have extremley aggresive hand sweat, that just eats away at those things.. I have a frined who must use driving gloves, or else his gear knob and wheel look like that in less then 2 months!

• Like 1

Perfectly logical question

I'm a guitar player and I know guys who have to change their strings every week or so due to acidity, mine last for months !

My hands are always dry, even in the summer, never use disinfectant on my hands either

Both times it's happened in the same place, I'm baffled !!

2 minutes ago, Stockbriggs said:

Perfectly logical question

I'm a guitar player and I know guys who have to change their strings every week or so due to acidity, mine last for months !

My hands are always dry, even in the summer, never use disinfectant on my hands either

Both times it's happened in the same place, I'm baffled !!

Then must be a batch issue with the gear selector knobs, nothing else to it!

2 minutes ago, Stockbriggs said:

I've had a look - couldn't find any, could you send a link?

Sorry I'm at work so dont have time to look lol ! They are around however !

I have the same issue on mine, Its just cosmetic at this point, but I have seen a post where someone cut themselves on the damaged chrome. They're £20odd quid to replace I believe.

• Like 1

Just now, Stockbriggs said:

Thank you

Could you advise on a few things please?

1) How old is your car? - September '17

2) Have you made it known to your dealer - No, I just assumed they'd claim wear & tear, assuming its the original. Car has done 46k

3) Could you send me a close up photo? - I'll grab one later for you.

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 66 plate with the same problem, one of the edges is particularly rough. Good to see it's an easy fix but a bit worried it looks like a faulty batch

On 21/07/2021 at 05:26, numskull said:

Weird, cos our 2016 knob is as good as new and I have a wedding ring smacking it now and then too..

+1

Mine is 2017, and the DSG knob is still factory new.

Many times I rest my hand on the lever while driving.  Many times my ring finger grazes it.

But the knob is still good, as is expected to be.

I'm surprised the number of people having issues with their knobs deteriorating!! :D

Sorry, not funny, I know.

Edited by JR RS

My 2017 DSG lever is peeling badly, also the, hardly used, passenger door release lever has peeled.

Obviously an area where Skoda cut costs.

21 hours ago, Shugmo said:

My 2017 DSG lever is peeling badly, also the, hardly used, passenger door release lever has peeled.

Obviously an area where Skoda cut costs.

I noticed my drivers interior door handle is sharp on the hidden side, my DSG lever is worn where a wedding ring would catch it.

• 2 years later...

Just a thought , could certain drivers rest there hand on the DSG handle as a habit whilst driving and not realise they may be "picking at the handle?, I know it can happen on TV remote controllers -just ask my wife!!😁

Poor quality the same as the wheel centre caps, you might get it changed if lucky but the problem will return as the specifications for the item is poor.