Skoda Members' opinion is required

Hi to all skoda members i hope all have a nice day :cool:

i recorded some videos for my felicia 97 carburateur 135 engine  and i needed members to give me thier opinions also i have some questions ?

1st:- Engine sound after i made valve clearance to 0.20 is good or noisy ? https://streamable.com/yx7r0m

2nd:- Engine Temperature is good or high ? https://streamable.com/orn84k

as i live in middle east (hot climate) and recently change the thermo-switch from 68-82 to 79-88 Valeo(819757) also install thermostat with 80C gates (TH12480G1) as there is no old one .

note(this readings with the tap water (temporary) as i still checking if there is any leak in coolant system also special thanks to @RicardoM he adviced to change (thermostat and thermoswitch).

3rd:- This confuse me as my felicia didnt go over 120km/h  :crying:  i do some tests

1- i sucked vaccum form second stage unit of carbruter and it worked

2-i connected vaccum gauge to 2nd stage hose house in crabruter it self and rise  throttle lever to high rpm around 4000 rpm but no readings (this confused :notme:) https://streamable.com/ngo7vm

3 rise throttle lever at high rpm no fuel squrit in second stage in top of carbruter (this confused :notme:) https://streamable.com/n5b2df

thx at all :inlove:

1. Everything sounds normal.
  2. Temperature is normal. 90°C.
  3. It is a problem of fuel starvation on 2nd stage of the carburetor.

3.1 What do you mean by "it worked" ?

3.2 Not sure if you understand how 2nd stage works. The video is too blurry.

3.3 There is your problem.

Do you have the carburetor service manual?

• Like 1

Check for blockage of the "2nd stage hose house in crabruter it self".

One way to do this might be to connect a long vacuum hose to this port and suck on it.  You should not be able to form a vacuum in the hose if the port is unblocked.

3 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

1st:- Engine sound after i made valve clearance to 0.20 is good or noisy ? https://streamable.com/yx7r0m

perfect and carb sounds very good

2nd:- Engine Temperature is good or high ?

perfect temperature is where it should be given that rad fan switch

3rd carb needs cleaning and maybe some diaphragms (just refresh it)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RicardoM said:
  1. Everything sounds normal.
  2. Temperature is normal. 90°C.
  3. It is a problem of fuel starvation on 2nd stage of the carburetor.

3.1 What do you mean by "it worked" ?

3.2 Not sure if you understand how 2nd stage works. The video is too blurry.

3.3 There is your problem.

3.1 :- i mean i connected vaccum tube to the 2nd stage Vacuum actuator while engine is off and make throttle gas open at max and suck the tube the second stage open and close normally https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/bus/bus-t3/engine/carburetor-air-filter/14886/vacuum-actuator-2e3-82-92-1.9/1.6-1.8

3.2 :- there is no space to take good video but i try to know if any vaccum goes throw this pipe or its clogged by connecting vaccum gauge and rise engine rpm on neutral but no readings at all (( i dont if that is right way to test or not ))

3.3 :- what you mean that this is my problem

C006865.jpg

3.3 :- what you mean that this is my problem

I said THERE is your problem, not THIS is your problem, meaning "Look! We found the cause of the low power problem."

The easiest way to help you starts with an answer that you have missed from my previous message.

34 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

I said THERE is your problem, not THIS is your problem, meaning "Look! We found the cause of the low power problem."

The easiest way to help you starts with an answer that you have missed from my previous message.

yes i have haynes and master manuals if you have another one with better explantion please share with us

there is someting i tested today i bring small tiny peace of paper put on the second stage then i drive felicia with full throttle and take look again the tiny pice of paper disappear i think the 2nd stage vaccum is ok but i cant find way to check fuel starvation on 2nd stage

i have 2 queestions

1- what is the 1st and 2nd stage screw jets number is it 0.92 mm and  1.2mm ?

2-can i tested the second stage by raise one side of  car and start engine and give it 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th gears with full throttle while (the wheel raised will turn around itself ) and another pesrson look at 2nd stage

You'll find at the link below the service manual for the carburetor.

https://disk.yandex.com/i/eTm3c2PLBnWgag

You'll have the answer to all your questions in there. It is a very good read.

In case you still can't figure out how to solve the low power problem, let me know.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

2-can i tested the second stage by raise one side of  car and start engine and give it 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th gears with full throttle while (the wheel raised will turn around itself ) and another pesrson look at 2nd stage

The most correct and accurate repair of the carburetor involves the following steps: take out of the car, clean it thoroughly inside (all channels), replace old/faulty parts, then re-set it according to its factory manual.

16 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

i tested the second stage by raise one side of  car and start engine and give it 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th gears with full throttle while (the wheel raised will turn around itself )

Yes, until the car falls off the axle stand anyway...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RicardoM said:

The most correct and accurate repair of the carburetor involves the following steps: take out of the car, clean it thoroughly inside (all channels), replace old/faulty parts, then re-set it according to its factory manual.

yes that i will do

10 minutes ago, Wino said:

Why not try what I suggested a few posts back?

i do its worked too

i will remove the carburetor in next few days because all spare parts shops are closed as we have (eid al-adha) its religous feast in middle east countries

during this period i collect informations and all Possibilities that will solve the problem so i have some few points i want to share

1:- i remembered that from six years ago that carburetor have removed because second stage diphram is damaged and carburetor Technical shop replaced with new one and car make 145 km/h very easy but they bring  me another nightmare as they got lost  genuine screws of 1st stage 92.5 and 2nd stage 120 and replaced with bigger screws numbers :@ i discovered this as the car sufferd from 1- high fuel consumption 2- black smoke from exaust  3- carbon on sparkplugs :@

i solved this problem  after that by bringing another screws from  skoda spare parts shop the shop owner swear that they are geniune but i know in my self that they are after market parts but I have no other choices at this time :dry:

but i dont test the top speed because the roads most  time not empty but recently i have Chance to test the top speed it is about 125 to 130

2:-i discoverd from 2 years that one of channels enrichment valve in carbruters it self is blocked and i failed to open it  i thought carburetor Technical shop  do that when they want to fix the problem of heavy fuel consumtion after i made complaint :fubar:

3- there is a gap between cam  and acclerator pump cover lever as shown in this video https://streamable.com/od61ia

so accourding to this points i have some thoughts i want opnions and experinces to say if it is right or wrong

1- the screws of two stages i bring from skoda part shop if they are after market they can be not calibrated as they print on it (might be tight) lets say if 2nd was 120 but really it is 110 can this affect top speed ?

2- the enrichment valve not worked as i say before can it affect on top speed or just accleration ?

3- the gap between cam and acclerator pump  cover lever will not make right injection volume per stroke can this affect on top speed and accleration ?

sorry for long description of the problem  but i want to tell the full story

34 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

carburetor Technical shop replaced with new one and car make 145 km/h very easy but they bring  me another nightmare as they got lost  genuine screws of 1st stage 92.5 and 2nd stage 120 and replaced with bigger screws numbers

Oh oh! DO that and you're liable to ruin the threads. Or did you mean jets, because those numbers look like jet sizes?

12 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Oh oh! DO that and you're liable to ruin the threads. Or did you mean jets, because those numbers look like jet sizes?

yes jet sizes i thought that after i change the big size  that carburetor Technical shop i replaced them with the correct size but i dont trust them as they are after market parts

emSnauI.jpg

1 hour ago, captain_crunch said:

1- the screws of two stages i bring from skoda part shop if they are after market they can be not calibrated as they print on it (might be tight) lets say if 2nd was 120 but really it is 110 can this affect top speed ?

It is vital to have the correct jet size. It affects the mixture thus the performance of the car. The size is written on the jets.

2- the enrichment valve not worked as i say before can it affect on top speed or just accleration ?

That affects the top speed. One of the roles of the enrichment valve is to raise the level of fuel in the float chamber at higher opening of the throttle. You might be lucky and change that valve and everything goes perfect. Yet I still recommend cleaning the carburetor as some vacuum channels might be blocked.

3- the gap between cam and acclerator pump  cover lever will not make right injection volume per stroke can this affect on top speed and accleration ?

It is not vital for top speed. There should be a little gap.

1 hour ago, RicardoM said:

It is vital to have the correct jet size. It affects the mixture thus the performance of the car. The size is written on the jets.

That affects the top speed. One of the roles of the enrichment valve is to raise the level of fuel in the float chamber at higher opening of the throttle. You might be lucky and change that valve and everything goes perfect. Yet I still recommend cleaning the carburetor as some vacuum channels might be blocked.

It is not vital for top speed. There should be a little gap.

thx for reply

1- the jets size written as you said but how i know if its calibrated right i mean is 120 is really 120 it might be less also another jet 92.5 might be less i dont trust after market parts at all how about i bought jets from used carbruter (geniune used jets)

2- yes i will do that but i dont know how to open the block channel in red dot  as you see they blocked it with metallic element  :@

3-  i rembered that when cleaning 2e3 form two years that the injection volume was not right (does it affect to much on car performance)

also i forget that there is a no response  with full press  on gas while riding  pedal the engine sound not go loud as should it be

jikov.JPG.ac57ab7e6596d7709d80bb78cefec07b.JPG

9 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

1- the jets size written as you said but how i know if its calibrated right i mean is 120 is really 120 it might be less also another jet 92.5 might be less i dont trust after market parts at all how about i bought jets from used carbruter (geniune used jets)

Don't worry about it. They are fine. They don't get decalibrated. Worst case scenario they get dirty with gunk from fuel. Clean them well. Use a magnifying glass if you think they are still dirty. Don't use steel wire to clean it.

2- yes i will do that but i dont know how to open the block channel in red dot  as you see they blocked it with metallic element  :@

Nobody said you have to drill the ports that are blocked from factory. Just clean the carburetor with carburetor cleaner, disconnect the hoses that go to vacuum capsules, blow all channels with compressed air.

3-  i rembered that when cleaning 2e3 form two years that the injection volume was not right (does it affect to much on car performance)

Check it again carefully. Adjust according to the manual I've sent. In my experience I didn't have to adjust the cam from the center position. Most often it is the accelerator pump diaphragm that is faulty.

also i forget that there is a no response  with full press  on gas while riding  pedal the engine sound not go loud as should it be

Of course. you can't get full power if you can't get high rpm.

5 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

On a serious note there many more knowledgeable people in here for carb aspects

Any particular reason I might not be knowledgeable enough?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RicardoM said:

I might not be knowledgeable enough

No you are knowledgeable enough thats what I said xd.
Most likely should have added than me in the end:D

Edited by Thefeliciahacker

@captain_crunch

I have just realized that you didn't tell us HOW the low power fault started to occur. The history.

1. Was the low power issue always present since you have the car?
  2. Was it a sudden drop of power? Any guess what other thing happened prior this issue?
  3. Was it a slow decay of power?