Water in box section

Hi, I'd be grateful for some advice. I've found water pooling in the spare wheel well. Don't think it's coming from the floor area, think it's from pressure-washing. I've dried the wheel-well out but water appears trapped in the box section at the rear of the boot. I stuck the end of towel strips into the holes and they came out saturated - suggests there is no way for the water to drain. I'm asking for advice on two points - first is it likely that water has been forced through the rubber seal where it meets the hatch at the bottom (after washing there is moisture in the channels either side of the hatch but I can't see that this would work down to the wheel-well. Secondly do I just have to leave the residual water to evaporate - I'm tempted to train a hair dryer into the holes to try and dry the panel out. Thanks, Damian

IMG_20210816_181721.jpg

IMG_20210816_181629.jpg

IMG_20210816_181645.jpg

Thanks for the replies. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/10538-kenoneill/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/168829-entername/ I'll have a look at placing packets of silica crystals in and around the holes. When I first noticed the problem the section was full to the brim with water. I managed to get most of it out by pressing towelling rags in with a screwdriver so it's just the residual dampness I need to get rid of. I rarely use a power washer but by the looks of the wheel well, water has got in a few times as the spare was swimming in it. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/87150-varaderoguy/ thanks for the pointer. When I first joined the forum I was driving a MK1, now it's a MK3. I've updated my profile. 

Your car should still be under a Skoda 10 year anti-corrosion warranty. 

Paint and Body Warranty

All new vehicles supplied by SKODA Auto are provided with a three year unlimited mileage warranty against defects in the paintwork. Any manufacturing defect in the paint finish or application should be reported to an appointed SKODA retailer or Authorised repairer where it will be rectified at no cost. In addition SKODA Auto are pleased to provide an anti-perforation warranty for a minimum of 10 years (please refer to your owners manual for specific details). This offers assurance that any defect in the corrosion protection applied to body panels, that results in perforation corrosion is rectified at no cost.

• Thanks 1

I know you said that this happened whilst using a pressure washer, but that still shouldn't happen. I would still be looking for the cause of the ingress.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pagan-Image said:

I know you said that this happened whilst using a pressure washer, but that still shouldn't happen. I would still be looking for the cause of the ingress.

Agree. Never going to dry out if you can't find the cause of the problem.

That’s really bad and a basic pressure wash shouldn’t cause that.

I take it the rear wash/wipe works. If it’s a hatch make sure when you wash the rear screen it isn’t leaking.

For that volume of water to get in there, I would suggest the leak it either from a pipe or coming in from the top via a faulty seal.

Thanks for the further replies. I don't think the water is coming in around the hatch window or from above as the boot area is dry as a bone, hence why I didn't spot it earlier. I don't have a tow bar fitted. I'm going to strip everything out, including carpeting and try pouring water around the hatch to see if I can replicate it. I don't think the wheel well is the source as the water wouldn't have risen from there to fill the hollow section at the rear of the car. The spare was sitting in approx 1/2" of water and I could see some water at the sides of the loading point. I'll see if I can pinpoint it and also take it to a Skoda dealer for advice on warranty situation. I was surprised the hollow section didn't have drain points to allow any moisture out. 

Thanks for the further replies. I don't think the water is coming in around the hatch window or from above as the boot area is dry as a bone, hence why I didn't spot it earlier. I don't have a tow bar fitted. I'm going to strip everything out, including carpeting and try pouring water around the hatch to see if I can replicate it. I don't think the wheel well is the source as the water wouldn't have risen from there to fill the hollow section at the rear of the car. The spare was sitting in approx 1/2" of water and I could see some water at the sides of the loading point. I'll see if I can pinpoint it and also take it to a Skoda dealer for advice on warranty situation. I was surprised the hollow section didn't have drain points to allow any moisture out. 

What about the rear windscreen wash though?

I ask as this was a known problem on previous generations of car, which resulted in a hose popping apart at a connector and filling the boot with screenwash.

It's also been known to pop off or leak from the wiper motor link to the pipe and run down the inside of the plastic cover/boot lid.

Have you tried putting newspaper etc on the boot floor and spraying a hose at the boot on a standard rain type spray pattern?

That will quickly help you see even a small leak.

One further area that's in my head, is to check the seals of the rear lights, as if these were not properly attached/sealed or screwed into the car, you could probably get a significant amount of water in through there on a rainy day.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

On 18/08/2021 at 14:54, cheezemonkhai said:

What about the rear windscreen wash though?

I ask as this was a known problem on previous generations of car, which resulted in a hose popping apart at a connector and filling the boot with screenwash.

It's also been known to pop off or leak from the wiper motor link to the pipe and run down the inside of the plastic cover/boot lid.

Have you tried putting newspaper etc on the boot floor and spraying a hose at the boot on a standard rain type spray pattern?

That will quickly help you see even a small leak.

One further area that's in my head, is to check the seals of the rear lights, as if these were not properly attached/sealed or screwed into the car, you could probably get a significant amount of water in through there on a rainy day.

I think Cheezemonkhai is onto something here.

I suggest you find some really fragrant/pungent screen-wash and give your rear screen a good hosing with the rear screen wash.

Then rinse it off your bodywork with a hose, and get sniffing in your boot.

You should quickly be able to confirm/dismiss the screenwash theory.

Leaks via the rear lights never occurred to me, but if using a pressure washer, I can see them letting in water.

In fact I'm making a mental note to not aim my pressure washer at the gaps around the lights any more.

One more thought: I don't know how the rear lights are on the pre-FL Octavia 3, but on the FL hatch, the rear light has rubber at the top of the part of the rear light cluster under the boot hatch, and I've noticed that can get clogged with crud. Water goes on top and drains over the lip of the bumper, but water can go underneath that rubber. If there's more crud blocking its exit, I suppose that could cause water to gather and eventually work its way into the boot, one way or another. (See pic)

P1010149.png

Edited by EnterName
Pic and further info added

Thanks https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/8842-cheezemonkhai/ and https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/168829-entername/ for the further advice. I've checked the rear screen washer and there's no problem there. I'm going to strip the boot out tomorrow and try playing a hose on different areas to see if anything comes in. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/168829-entername/, I'll check the rubber at the top of the light cluster. I think there may be a gap there, will look to post a pic later. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Damobeach said:

will look to post a pic later

If you type @$user_name, until you get a context menu that shows the user you want, then click on it, you get a hot link that only shows the username. If your just want to thank someone, click the grey :thumbup: bottom right on their post and make it go blue, which increases their rep score and saves bandwidth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just noticed this on my fabia 2 vrs.

I have taken out the rear lights and have run some water down the channel above the lights with a watering can.

2 minutes later the water is in the spare wheel well. It seems to be getting in through the black plastic air vent covers 🤷🏿‍♂️. I may have to take the rear bumper off to get a good view.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cocain said:

I have taken out the rear lights and have run some water down the channel above the lights with a watering can.

2 minutes later the water is in the spare wheel well. It seems to be getting in through the black plastic air vent covers 🤷🏿‍♂️. I may have to take the rear bumper off to get a good view.

If they’re the ones with the screws through or those external rubber seal with holes, they hold the lights in.

There should be screw on plastic washers to keep it tight. If they’re missing, you’ll need to get a pair.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cocain said:

Good find! The sooner water leaks are sorted, the better.

My Mondeo leaked a little in heavy rain, and in winter, I used to find loads of condensation inside. Though it shifted with the heated windscreen, it wasn't particularly nice.

So I used these to solve the problem, and just got into the habit of using them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSIO-Interior-Dehumidifier-Condensation-Dehumidifiers/dp/B01C6V5IVG

The 5-pack has gone up in price from about £5 to nearly £8 now, so I bought a 10-pack last time I bought some.

These have all sorts of uses. When my kid dropped his phone in some water, I switched it off, bunged it in a ziplock bag with one of these, and a couple of days later gave it back to him.

But mostly I just leave on in the boot, and one in the passenger compartment of my car, especially now I'm not using it much as I'm working from home.

image.thumb.png.351b72eb57f0529890faeefaf8e7ec35.png

Edit: I've just changed the one in my boot (old one on left,), and as you can see, the white crystals have all gone, and there's a load of water now in the bottom of the container, so they do draw a fair bit of water out of the air over time.P1010197.thumb.JPG.908cf602f4e926df4618e6c68af3f28b.JPG

Edited by EnterName
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the advice. I think I've found the source of the leak. After removing the off-side rear light cluster I spotted a crack in the bodywork - I've indicated it in pics 1 & 2. IMG_20210822_121213.thumb.jpg.e4278a9fc02773eb37ec183efb74c9cd.jpgIMG_20210822_145737.thumb.jpg.26695a56356bc2b542de1340dad4608d.jpgLooks like the water tracks through the hollow section at the rear of the car and enters the boot via the cable mounting point I've indicated in pic 3. I'm unsure how the crack got there. I've filled it with non-setting mastic and will visit a main dealer to get warranty advice. IMG_20210821_164205.thumb.jpg.f38a49c3c628e3fb0b79c2b06e4f7f3c.jpg

• Like 1

That's going to need welding work done on it.  It all looks straight enough, so I think you are right to make your local Skoda dealer aware.  Ask them to make sure that Skoda UK are also aware of this - hopefully this is a one-off, but it might not be.  There is no evidence of a repair from your photos of repairs in that area. Eyk.

sorry to see it’s not super simple, but also glad you found it.

Sadly it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a bit of a fight as there are so many possibilities in that location.

Fingers crossed, but whilst you’re checking with the dealer I’d probably find a decent local body shop too.