VRS instead of GTI?

Ding

Hi all 

Ex Fabia Vrs owner here. 

I’m currently driving an 18 month old Fiesta ST and due to having quite a bit of equity in the car and fancying a change I’ve been looking at a Golf GTI. The only issue is huge wait times, some dealers have been quoting 54 weeks. 

Do you guys recommend the VRS? Obviously you own them but is it a positive experience? Through carwow you seem to be able to get roughly 5K off a petrol DSG model which seems quite tempting. 

2 minutes ago, Ding said:

Hi all 

Ex Fabia Vrs owner here. 

I’m currently driving an 18 month old Fiesta ST and due to having quite a bit of equity in the car and fancying a change I’ve been looking at a Golf GTI. The only issue is huge wait times, some dealers have been quoting 54 weeks. 

Do you guys recommend the VRS? Obviously you own them but is it a positive experience? Through carwow you seem to be able to get roughly 5K off a petrol DSG model which seems quite tempting. 

I can't say if the vRS is a better car, but I would say it's more practical due to the boot size and slightly better rear leg room (I think?) and it's a lot cheaper.

I've got 2 kids so makes a bit more sense for me as the boot is cavernous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ding said:

Hi all 

Ex Fabia Vrs owner here. 

I forgot to say, you don't need to pay retail prices for these cars - unless the new/used car shortage has messed this up!

Carwow have been great for me in the past, my current vRS was from DM Keith and it was nowhere near retail price but it was a standard spec car.

I’ve tried to use Drive the Drak prices before during negotiations and they’ve never been close. The carwow discounts on skodas are quite respectable. 

In regards to space it’s not a huge issue but I did test drive a Mini Cooper S at the weekend and that really was as mini as the name suggests. 

My opinion , GTI looks good without those stock wheels but theres loads on the road. I keep getting noticed in my VRS as there very few on the road especially in meteor grey ( discontin colour ) 

Why wait 54 weeks when you can get a similar performance , same engine and most parts the same too. Since no grey option , Velvet red looks good.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Mini (new) same wheel base as freelanders, I think.

Octy, essentially an elongated GTI. GTi will be better in twisty roads, McDonalds Car parks. vRS will be cheaper, possibly less to insure, not as good in the twisties... but able to keep up with anything sticking to limits of limits and if not those, then physics.  Eg moors over the back of bolton, way back in 2001ish we used to go out, evo's scoobies, octavias, 330's... all had strengths and weaknesses, all got to the end of each leg about the same time. Only some of them cost <half the running mates & didn't need all the security hoopla.

Should be plenty about too, vRS that is... exDemo's :) If it wasn't new you were after.

Bit change from the ST mind I'd of thought. In that sense I guess the Cooper and gti will feel 'sportier'. Although another fun fact to close out... the polo, or is it the lupo, is the same size as the mkI golf :) Pretty sure you could fit it in the boot of the octavia. Good boot for travel, biking; I can fit my gravel bike wheels on in the superb hatch. Food for thought ;)

• Like 1