As the Dukes would say - Sell, sell, sell.

Maybe most of you wont be old enough to remember the Dukes.. anyhow.  Apologies for another thread from me, but you may know I am now in the middle of choosing a new car. 

I'll be selling my Kodiaq  (I do love it, and it has been a great car) but I cant keep it given that I can sell it for just £3250 less than I got it for 40 months ago - A depreciation rate of £80 odd quid a month due to the current chip shortage.  We're lucky enough to have two cars (even though the other is a 10 year old Octavia)- so happy to cope as a one car family till things improve in the car supply market. 

The only reason for the post I guess is to let anyone that doesn't know this is a great time to sell your car.  A fair chance I wont be staying with Skoda for my next purchase - which is a shame, but I guess I just fancy a change.

M. 

• Like 1

It is great when you can get cash money selling and not just a price when trading in a car.  That is real world depreciation when you can compare the purchase price with what you get selling.    Is it going to a private buyer, trader or an online buyer?

It is going on Wednesday to one of the car supermarkets. (Toottoot or wbac, both offers the same) , unless I come up with a plan to get any more for it or have a sudden change of heart and keep it. 

M. 

As a member of vwroc, members on there also advocate Motorway.  

I'm in a similarly fortunate position, as we bought our then-private lease car off VWFS for £20k in April 2020, only for it to be valued at £25.5k by wbac last week. With being in a 2 car household, and working from home expected until Mar 2022, I'm tempted to cash in and live as a 1 car household until things hopefully settle down next year.

19 hours ago, mantrahalos said:

It is going on Wednesday to one of the car supermarkets. (Toottoot or wbac, both offers the same) , unless I come up with a plan to get any more for it or have a sudden change of heart and keep it. 

M. 

Have they seen it yet or are you expecting them to honour their internet valuation?

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Have they seen it yet or are you expecting them to honour their internet valuation?

Hi JR - They haven't seen it - I'm interested to see if they honour the price  (I'll feedback on my experience in here) - It is immaculate though, so they will have to try hard to justify any reduction.

M.

On 30/08/2021 at 11:18, mantrahalos said:

I'm interested to see if they honour the price  (I'll feedback on my experience in here) - It is immaculate though, so they will have to try hard to justify any reduction.

So how did it go…?

Well.. I received a better offer from an alternative company, so cancelled the wbac visit.  The car is being collected next week.  

I'll let you know how it goes. 

M.

11 minutes ago, mantrahalos said:

Well.. I received a better offer from an alternative company, so cancelled the wbac visit.  The car is being collected next week.  

I'll let you know how it goes. 

M.

Motorway?

Just for a laugh.... and because we're in the process of selling our 2nd car, a Toyota Yaris, probably using Motorway - I entered the details of my Kodiaq into the Motorway site. And....

W...T....F??? Even before the valuation takes into account some of the useful/desirable extras (I know, I know, they might not add much at all) the offer is pretty much what I paid for the car in March last year. This situation is totally insane. And, BTW, the Yaris valuation means that depreciation has been ~£4K in 3.5 years, or < £100 per month

Really, really thinking hard about the temptation of selling the Kodiaq.....

And I'll let people here know how the Motorway experience turns out

Maybe I'm being thick but what's the attraction of selling?  Is it people who change cars every few years who are Changing early to take advantage of higher trade ins and low finance on new, in the hope they get a good deal?  Or is it people not needing cars anymore and selling?

Personally we buy our cars with cash when they are a year or two old and keep for a long time, typically over 10 years, so can't see the point in selling at a higher price now but also having to pay a higher price now for a replacement.

• Like 3

skomaz, we normally buy new or pre-reg/demo and keep for 5 years or so. But my Kodiaq has some annoying faults which the dealer won't acknowledge ("they all do that sir", or "within acceptable limits" or.... you all know what I mean) and I might defect to another make, now that some more interesting hybrids have come along which offer the things we require (not ready to go all-electric until the charging infrastructure gets hugely better) and these are cars I can get hold of within an acceptable timeframe, given that we're a 2-car family.

So at the moment the gap between sale price of existing car and new car is at an all-time low

Edited by SinglePointSafety
Extra info
  • Like 1

That is the reality.

Many will buy / finance used cars that are in at dealers now with high asking / buying prices and even get a good trade in value on their car.

What a shame for those that get landed with some of the stuff from Skoda / VW that owners are sick to the teeth right now.

Dodge 1.5 TSI's of a certain age, ones with dodgy DQ200's and bang up to date Octavia / Superbs with Software / Hardware that Skoda / VW Group are totally failing month after month to get fit for purpose.

The Motoring Press / Media should maybe be discussing this but Heycar / Honest John or Haymarket Media Group so What Car / Autocar are not going to be the ones to do it.

Edited by e-Roottoot

8 hours ago, SinglePointSafety said:

skomaz, we normally buy new or pre-reg/demo and keep for 5 years or so. But my Kodiaq has some annoying faults which the dealer won't acknowledge ("they all do that sir", or "within acceptable limits" or.... you all know what I mean) and I might defect to another make, now that some more interesting hybrids have come along which offer the things we require (not ready to go all-electric until the charging infrastructure gets hugely better) and these are cars I can get hold of within an acceptable timeframe, given that we're a 2-car family.

So at the moment the gap between sale price of existing car and new car is at an all-time low

Fair enough in your case i guess, but if buying new from stock even if someone gets a good deal i reckon they'll still take more of a hit in depreciation than they'll 'make' due to the current situation??  If someone was going to buy anyway then that's slightly different but selling and buying new 'just because' seems a daft decision to me.

Maybe its just me...

skomaz, have you seen some of the deals on, say, DriveThe Deal and other broker sites? They make buying nearly-new a (mostly) pointless endeavour. But, as you rightly say, each to their own circumstances, preferences and needs (have never, ever, managed to see a used car with the spec we require)

The point that myself, and others here are making, is very clear: used prices are currently insane and it gives us a chance to reconsider our choice of car with minimal, or even zero, depreciation penalty.

So it just got picked up.  Sad to see it go, but it made sense. 

It was due to go to Toot-toot yesterday  - but i got an even better offer through Wizzle - 

I would strongly recommend both these companies if you are looking to sell - 

in 3 years and 4 months of ownership I lost a total of £3000 on the price I paid for it brand new.  - So less than £1000 a year.

Deciding on what to do next- we may end up electric, so could be over on the Enyaq pages soon. 

Happy Kodiaq'ing - I'll miss mine!

3 hours ago, mantrahalos said:

So it just got picked up.  Sad to see it go, but it made sense. 

It was due to go to Toot-toot yesterday  - but i got an even better offer through Wizzle - 

I would strongly recommend both these companies if you are looking to sell - 

in 3 years and 4 months of ownership I lost a total of £3000 on the price I paid for it brand new.  - So less than £1000 a year.

Deciding on what to do next- we may end up electric, so could be over on the Enyaq pages soon. 

Happy Kodiaq'ing - I'll miss mine!

Can I ask what % of the price they quoted you, you actually received.

I will probably be using a similar service when my new Kodiaq is ready.

3 hours ago, xspartx said:

They paid what they offered.  No bother at all - very straight forward

M

On 04/09/2021 at 07:59, SinglePointSafety said:

skomaz, have you seen some of the deals on, say, DriveThe Deal and other broker sites? They make buying nearly-new a (mostly) pointless endeavour. But, as you rightly say, each to their own circumstances, preferences and needs (have never, ever, managed to see a used car with the spec we require)

The point that myself, and others here are making, is very clear: used prices are currently insane and it gives us a chance to reconsider our choice of car with minimal, or even zero, depreciation penalty.

Yes I have seen he deals and I do get that it works for certain people..,   you for example if your dar has problems.

Its just not for me as I run my cars differently to most I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look on Autotrader last night for a laugh...   we picked up a low mileage second hand Kodiaq 4x4 in May this year and for something similar now your looking at £6k more than we paid 4 months ago - truly mad!

Promised that I'd update with my experience of selling or Toyota Yaris via Motorway. In a word.....superb. Their web app, which directs you to take a specified sets of photos to demonstrate the car's condition and service history etc, worked flawlessly. Our car had a 'reserve' price of £14.1K, at 3pm on the day of its auction, as promised, I get an email, best price offered was...£14.7K, about £1.2K more than WBAC's click-bait offer. Had some Qs along the way, managed to contact Motorway each time without any undue delay, all my Qs answered without any fuss.

Week later, logistics guy arrives, gives the car an inspection, declares it 'immaculate' so a few minutes after his phone call to the dealer's used car buyer, the £££ shows in the bank account, and off he drives to the purchasing dealer. What more could you ask? Very satisfied, I'd use them again.

In contrast, we were offered £12.4K p/x against a pre-reg EV, one local Toyota dealer didn't bother returning my calls when I enquired about selling them the car, another offered £13.4K and pointed to an imaginary 'scuff' (some barely-discernible very small very fine vegetation-induced marks, didn't get near to penetrating the outer transparent paint layer) and, you know, I kind of object to being treated like a complete moron.....

• Like 1

On 08/09/2021 at 17:44, xspartx said:

If you’re up front about the condition and not a total dreamer then there is no reason for them not to pay what is quoted. Problems arise when people declare their car as “mint”, read as 4 kerbed wheels, sun cream hand prints, interior stained with 3 years of Happy Meals, and then wonder why money is knocked off.