Octavia Vrs estate or A4 avant

Need some advice. 
Currently have a Mondeo diesel estate. Been a great solid car for 4 years but time for it to be replaced by something a bit quicker, more fun and will pass the London ULEZ charge. 
Car needs to be petrol, comfortable enough on commutes to work and on long family journeys-both motorway and country roads. Plus would prefer DSG or similar auto box over manual as I’d like a more leisurely driver. (I have a B road blaster for weekends). 
I’d like a car to be good to drive, under 7 seconds to 60, and a practical estate. 
After quite a lot of thinking I’ve narrowed it down to 2 cars, Octavia mk3 vrs or A4 avant. Budget is 13k or under so I’d be looking at higher mileage cars. 
I’ve obviously done as much research as I can but hope somebody may have experienced both cars and could tell me the pros and cons of both. 
both cars seem fast and practical. I don’t know difference in ride quality, driver fun or DSG box differences. Also would I really miss Quattro if I went vrs fwd? Also I’m hearing that the vrs responds well to remaps? Can the front wheels handle the extra torque?Would the Audi respond well too? Will I be paying more overall to run an A4?

Anyway, any advice or information that may help me would be appreciated! Thanks

Don't forget a VW Golf R Estate 300bhp or VW Passat 4motion Estate as an option. I have looked at them and are rapid with 272bhp and AWD.

I wouldnt concentrate too much on 0 to 60 times as they are pub talk figures. I always look at in gear acceleration as that is a true reflection of a cars performance.

I have a diesel VRS hatch and love it. It is a fantastic car and is very comfy on long journeys, especially with the DSG. Although it isn't a true auto box and has a few quirks which you get to know and drive around. Many topics on the Internet regarding it.

The Audi is a very nice car equally but what I would do in your position is to take a look at each car and drive them. Cars can tick all the boxes on paper but when driven can not be what was expected. This is my third Octavia, owned it nearly 2 years and one I plan on keeping for while longer. 

Running costs vary from car to car but you will pay extra mpgs and servicing with the Audi haldex system. With DSG make sure it has been serviced every 40,000 miles.

You don't really need to remap these cars as they are fast enough as standard. One of the reasons I mentioned the Golf and Passat, as they are already fast and wouldnt need any modifying. 

Yeah thought about the Passat but the running costs are just too high. And regarding the golf r estate, always wanted one but just can’t find any for my budget. Shame as that’s the car that would certainly tick all the boxes. 

In 2016 I changed from an RS4 Avant to an Octavia 3 estate (retirement meant I needed smaller bills).

The big plus points of the Octavia for me are the greater rear legroom (due to the longer wheelbase) and the larger "boot" space (due to the more vertical rear hatch).

If you're not worried about badge snobs I would go for the Octavia.

• Like 2

As Dave has just said the difference in rear legroom is considerable.  I have to have the driver's seat all the way back and in an A4 that meant no legroom behind me, but in the Octavia someone could sit behind me (just).

My vRS had a Revo Stage 1 map on it, so was somewhere north of 300bhp.  It handled it well in my opinion, just need to be a bit sensible with your right foot.

Gaz

Obviously they're both similarly sized VAG estates but the A4 and Octavia aren't really in the same class. The A4 will be noticeably more refined than the Octy. 

Your Mondeo will also be more refined than the Octy, so agreeing with what Matt said above, drive them both before committing. 

I love my vRS estate and definitely would not swap it for a standard S Line A4 Avant. It stands out, there aren't many on the road and it handles everything I (and the family) throw at it. So I can put up with the road noise...

19 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Don't forget a VW Golf R Estate 300bhp or VW Passat 4motion Estate as an option. 

Loads of excellent examples of both for the OP's £13k budget...

I like the Passat but tax is almost £585 a year and combined fuel is around 26 mpg according to what I’ve read. Even considered insignia vrx but again quite expensive to run. S4’s appear less expensive to run. (Wouldn’t mind one of those though I got to say!) The other cars seem far less expensive to run- I could be wrong on all this but just what I’ve read. Regarding Golf R estates - can’t find any under £16k unfortunately. Unless I’m looking in the wrong place? My £13k budget is absolute tops sadly. 

I also don’t want to look like an audiot😂 so best option seems to be the vrs.  

You aren't looking in the wrong place, it's unlikely you'll find either car for 13k, unless it's significantly broken or shady, so I'm not sure why a previous poster suggested them. May as well have suggested a Bugatti Chiron.

This is a Skoda forum so most of the answers will likely sway towards the VRS. I note you posted similar on piston heads. I think at this point you have narrowed down enough and just need to test drive the VRS and A4 and see which you prefer.

My VRS has proven very cheap to run and very reliable. I can't really comment on the A4 other than that presumably it will get you an older car, which may be susceptible to some of the older gen issues such as timing chain failure and the wider oil consumption that affected VW group stuff from early 2010s.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1