@Bazmcc to get the switches to work the right (correct) windows with the LHD motor module in place, you'd need to cross over the wires coming from switches E40 and E81 in the lower left corner of this pic to the window motor (J386) connectors. They are white/black and black/green wires.

DSideWiring.thumb.jpg.0b16d9cf5378eeacd49a011e04d2a1cc.jpg

You could also correct the direction of motion of the driver's side window by rotating the metal motor housing 180° so the label faces the other side. There are permanent magnets inside which give the field a polarisation. 

The disadvantage of this is that the electronics will probably still think it is lifting the glass when it's actually lowering it, and vice-versa.  The anti-pinch function that stops you trapping fingers/limbs in the window while it's going up will likely not work (cos I can't see why it would be programmed to work on downward glass motion). Do at your own risk, and ideally tell any subsequent owners about it.

If you decide to try this, you can probably do as follows, for minimum risk of damage:

1. Defeat (simultaneously) the 6 plastic clips that hold the circuitboard section in and pull that out and clear.

2. Undo the 4 torx screws that hold the motor housing to the plastic casing.

3. Gently pull the motor housing with rotor and brushpack away, wiggling/turning the beige gear in the appropriate direction will help it come out

4. Leaving the rotor where it is, pull the brushpack carefully away from the motor housing enough to be able to turn the latter relative to the former.

5. Turn the motor housing by 180°

6. Refit brushpack, easing the brushes into place on the commutator. Take the opportunity to clean things a little first if there's tons of carbon dust about.

7. Refit motor with opposite direction wiggle/turn of beige cog to help

It's best to leave the rotor shaft fully in the metal casing, rather than pull it plus brushpack out to rotate the housing. The bush/bearing at the end of the metal housing can easily be knocked round out of position as the rotor shaft is refitted, due to the magnets pulling the rotor out of alignment. If the rotor shaft doesn't go back in right this bush tends to get destroyed as the motor housing is bolted back up.

Let me know if you want me to repair a correct module instead. 

• Like 1

I have a 2007 Transporter T5 on which both electric windows suddenly stopped working. I tried the fuse and all obvious things before narrowing it down to the driver’s door motor/module. Looking on eBay there were a few available but they were all about £130! I called my local VW van centre who told me the part 6Y1959801 was now obsolete so they could not supply one! I was surfing around the internet and came across this thread and contacted Breezy_Pete who was staggeringly efficient in his communications and offered to fix it, I sent it off and it was turned around the same day. I cannot recommend Breezy_Pete highly enough and my sincere thanks for getting me out of a hole at a fraction of the cost of a second-hand unit.

I have no connection to him but am just a VERY satisfied customer!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thankyou to Pete for his help, I called him on Thursday about an exchange motor it was delivered on Friday, thats better service than Amazon.  I can

only say what a service and a very nice guy to deal with. The motor sorted ongoing issues with the windows, it was returned and the exchange

surcharge returned as soon as Pete recieved the old unit. Highly recommend him and his service.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unusual stock update.

I have, I think, one of most 6Y1 and 6Y2 types to suit RHD cars available as exchange units (none for all four windows being electric presently though).

In addition, I received a unit a while back that suits a Left Hand Drive Mk1 Fabia, so part number 6Y1959801, with SK240DDLS as the last line on part number label.  It's a young unit, manufactured in 2017, and looking very clean and tidy. 

This isn't much use to me so if someone reading has a LHD Fabia  (steering wheel on the left), and a need for one of these, please get in touch. Postage/customs will be slow and expensive if you are not UK based, of course.

I've done my usual repairs to it as I've had a unit from 2016 arrive non-working not too long ago, so better to pre-empt failure I think.

It would physically fit a RHD Polo/Transporter/Mk2 Fabia/Roomster, but at the very least the switches would work the wrong window, and also in some of those applications up would be down and vice versa, I expect.  

• 2 months later...
On 15/12/2023 at 11:05, carbonfibretechy said:

Hi Pete

I'm in Oxfordshire too, and just joined the forum :) 

I have a 57 plate Fabia 1.4 petrol. Elec windows recently ceased to function.

Might be grateful of your services if my local guy cannot fix. 

Thanks, Ian

I missed this post Ian, sorry.

Give me a shout by PM if you need to. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there Pete,

Just wondering if you are still offering this window-motor-module refurbishment service?

The electric windows on my Mk1 55-reg Fabia don’t work, which is a problem because I need to sell the car. (It’s not the car’s fault. I’m starting to develop arthritis, and my left knee & foot have had enough of pressing clutch pedals. So I need to replace this manual car with with an auto.)

• When this first happened, I read the opinions of the “experts” on the internet who said that there might not be enough volts/amps on the wiring circuit, and so I bought a new battery. But this didn’t fix the problem.
• Then I found a video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbsUbNlWiio) which demonstrated how unplugging-and-re-plugging-in the connector plugs in the driver’s door hinge would fix the problem. This did work for a while, but then stopped working once the rainy season started.
• So assuming that moisture was causing the problem, I replaced the rubber bellows that encases the wiring across the driver’s door hinge, as the original bellows wasn’t making a good seal with the car body. But this hasn’t fixed the problem either.

So after that, I didn’t know what to do. And then I stumbled upon this thread offering to refurbish electric motor/regulator units. But as you can imagine, after trying so many things that didn’t work, I’m worried that I’m just randomly jumping upon any possible solution.

So should I just mail-order a refurbished unit from yourself and trust that this will cure the problem?
(If you're unable to offer refunds in those cases where swapping the motor unit doesn't fix the windows, I'd be happy to remove the driver-side door card, drive up the A34 (I’m in West Sussex) and swap the motor unit in your presence to find out if it does the trick. I hope that doesn't sound too desperate, but I can't sell the car until I get these windows sorted.)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help. I’d be grateful to hear your thoughts.

John.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Are you still offering repairs for window Motor/modules? I have a 2005 VW T5 with no working windows 😞  

Yes, still doing these. 

Currently keen to improve low/zero stock of exchange units of the following types:

Polo 6Y1959801 (VW240D2DRS or DDRS)

T5 6Y1959801 (VW750DDRS)

Roomster 6Y1959801 (SK258DDRS)

If anyone is sitting on broken ones that they don't need I'd be happy to hear from you. 🙂

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thank you so much for doing such a great job repairing my window module.

So glad I found this post, you saved me a pretty penny from buying one on ebay. 

Thanks again 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Im hoping you can help in anyway at all. 

My daughter started learning to drive last summer (2023) so I brought her a car. A 2006 Skoda Fabia ….

FABIA HATCHBACK - 1.4 16V Elegance 5dr Auto 75hp 

(She passed her test in January 🎉 - no more a mum taxi!) 

The car was all working fine in the first few months of getting it…. And then the winter weather hit! Major damp issues in the back footwells (which my brother has now fixed 🤞) , and the electric windows have stopped working. My brother is fairly good with cars etc, he tested the volts in the motor etc and it was all still ‘live’ but nothing he has tried (fuses etc) has fixed the issue. 

when my daughter got home yesterday she said it was so hot in her car and it was not great that she couldn’t open the windows…. and we aren’t even into the hotter weather yet. 

Will you be able to help in anyway? I’m (we’re) desperate.