Shortages UK

@Lee

Shortages UK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK rejoin the Single Market and Customs Union to help alleviate impacts of Brexit?

• Yes
    • No

Forgot to ask - after all the above posts about shortages of turkeys and  the like at Christmas etc. did anyone actually personally experience any?

6 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Forgot to ask - after all the above posts about shortages of turkeys and  the like at Christmas etc. did anyone actually personally experience any?

Nope. Mind you, my Granda always buys a turkey in or around October and asks us to freeze it. :D

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Bloody computer.
  • Like 2

Lets hope the chicken and egg thing is sorted out and politicians know where eggs come from and that is not shops, farm shops or home deliveries.

Animal feed prices up and heating / energy for farmers, road and offroad fuel costs etc etc.  

Fertiliser and seeds up in price, seed potatoes etc etc.  

Back to 20% VAT in April for business's / customers that have been getting the benefit of the reduction during the Covid, which is still out there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

I seem to remember there being some left in the chillers and frozen section even during Christmas week at our local Tesco/Tesco Extra. 

• Like 1

Freezers were full of frozen ones. Half price and lower. 

Quite possible there are still many about someplace in commercial storage and getting used on occasion someplace for somethings, maybe not human consumption but i would not count on it. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

It’s deciding what is hype/marketing trying to stoke up panic buying, what is pure panic buying and what are real issues.

On the ER front, they should be very happy. Solar installers are so busy many are refusing new business enquiries. People are insulating the homes as much as possible.

Market economics are making people want to keep the bills down, which will knock on reduce emissions. They shouldn’t be blockading oil refineries, but instead championing renewables, storage and tidal projects so we can reduce the number of gas power stations rapidly.

The ER types near us all drive their old diesel cars/vans or very polluting camper vans, so I’m afraid I see most as hypocrites who just want to protest against something (anything)

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Shortage of both diesel and petrol in East Anglia yesterday ....

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/supermarket-petrol-station-runs-out-of-fuel-9244366/

There is no suggestion that there is any repeat of the widespread shortages of fuel that the country witnessed last year, but some forecourts have had temporary shortages. Sainsbury's at the Hardwick in Lynn was restricting diesel to half of its pumps earlier this week.  Prices at some garages in our area are now above £1.70 a litre for diesel and they could climb even higher as the impact of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine continues to be felt.

Supermarket petrol station in King's Lynn runs out of fuel

Morrisons filling station, Lynn (55414030)

On 12/03/2022 at 22:28, lol-lol said:

Shortage of both diesel and petrol in East Anglia yesterday ....

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/supermarket-petrol-station-runs-out-of-fuel-9244366/

There is no suggestion that there is any repeat of the widespread shortages of fuel that the country witnessed last year, but some forecourts have had temporary shortages. Sainsbury's at the Hardwick in Lynn was restricting diesel to half of its pumps earlier this week.  Prices at some garages in our area are now above £1.70 a litre for diesel and they could climb even higher as the impact of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine continues to be felt.

Supermarket petrol station in King's Lynn runs out of fuel

Morrisons filling station, Lynn (55414030)

Trying to cause panic buying?

Prices are fairly stable our way at around £1.50 a litre and there are no shortages. Only difference seems to be less splash and dash fills, presumably as people balance current cost vs predicted future cost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Trying to cause panic buying?

Prices are fairly stable our way at around £1.50 a litre and there are no shortages. Only difference seems to be less splash and dash fills, presumably as people balance current cost vs predicted future cost. 

Fascinated to see the reaction of the UK consumer psyche.  Excise Duty is collected as the product leaves the refinery, it is now called End Product Duty, VAT is collected at point of Sales of course but the buy price to the UK refinery can be subject to all sorts of variables, contract price or spot price to name two. Individual garages will pay a sort of spot price when they get their deliveries and the large supermarkets have contracts of course.  All that said petrol outlets can and do choose sales price which can be anything from a loss leader like Morrisons doing to encourage shopping in their stores to some just looking to make a much bigger margin.  All that said and even though crude oil prices have dropped a bit on the last couple of days so UK oil refineries should be able to buy cheaper oil and sell cheaper diesel and petrol to consumers.   The price of diesel and petrol continues to rise........     Buy half and tank or brim it full is the drivers choice and again down to their psyche.  I need some diesel soon, suspect the local Tescos will not be in the wild pricers. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/fuel-prices-brent-rac-b2035237.html

Fuel prices break new records despite drop in wholesale costs

Figures from data firm Experian Catalist show the average cost of a litre of petrol at UK forecourts on Sunday was 163.5p, while diesel was 173.4p.  Fuel prices have broken new records as a slump in wholesale costs failed to make an impact at the pumps.  Figures from data firm Experian Catalist show the average cost of a litre of petrol at UK forecourts on Sunday was 163.5p, while diesel was 173.4p.  A month ago, pump prices were 148.0p per litre for petrol and 151.6p per litre for diesel.  Oil prices plummeted last week, leading to a cut in wholesale costs for fuel retailers.   The price hikes seen over the weekend are still a result of the oil price rise which began at the start of the month and peaked early last week.  “As the oil price has now fallen back, we should hopefully reach the peak and start to see prices going the other way to reflect the big drop in wholesale costs seen at the end of last week, subject to no further spikes in the barrel price this week.” AA fuel price spokesman Luke Bosdet said the 10.6p per litre slump in wholesale costs last week produced “bizarre price anomalies”.

Dr Amita Sen -  (She holds an MPhil in Economics from Cambridge University, a BSc in Economics from the University of Warwick, and is pursuing a PhD in Economics at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. She is a Non-resident Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council and was formerly Chief Oil Analyst for Barclays Capital. She is frequently featured in leading media outlets, including the Financial Times, BBC News, Reuters, Bloomberg, CNBC, Wall Street Journal, and Sky News, and at leading industry events as a speaker, and is regarded as a leading authority on oil markets.)

Gas and oil could be rationed in the UK amid 'crazy' price increases, MPs warned

Oil and gas could be rationed in the UK to help counter the growing global energy crisis, MPs have been warned........

At a Treasury select committee in parliament on Monday, Dr Amrita Sen, director of research at Energy Aspects, told MPs that the rationing of diesel and gas could be on the horizon as a result of supply issues and growing instability in energy markets.  She warned that parts of Europe may be facing rationing on diesel by April, and that in countries like Germany, BP and Shell have already reduced sales of diesel to wholesale customers.  "I think diesel is where we fear rationing could come as soon as end of this month in Germany," Sen said. "And I think you are you could absolutely see repercussions of that in the UK as well.  "The price of diesel last week was $180 already, and that’s why some of the rationing in some of the markets could come before even the headline oil price gets to those crazy levels."

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

Dr Amita Sen -  (She holds an MPhil in Economics from Cambridge University, a BSc in Economics from the University of Warwick, and is pursuing a PhD in Economics at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. She is a Non-resident Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council and was formerly Chief Oil Analyst for Barclays Capital. She is frequently featured in leading media outlets, including the Financial Times, BBC News, Reuters, Bloomberg, CNBC, Wall Street Journal, and Sky News, and at leading industry events as a speaker, and is regarded as a leading authority on oil markets.)

Gas and oil could be rationed in the UK amid 'crazy' price increases, MPs warned

Oil and gas could be rationed in the UK to help counter the growing global energy crisis, MPs have been warned........

At a Treasury select committee in parliament on Monday, Dr Amrita Sen, director of research at Energy Aspects, told MPs that the rationing of diesel and gas could be on the horizon as a result of supply issues and growing instability in energy markets.  She warned that parts of Europe may be facing rationing on diesel by April, and that in countries like Germany, BP and Shell have already reduced sales of diesel to wholesale customers.  "I think diesel is where we fear rationing could come as soon as end of this month in Germany," Sen said. "And I think you are you could absolutely see repercussions of that in the UK as well.  "The price of diesel last week was $180 already, and that’s why some of the rationing in some of the markets could come before even the headline oil price gets to those crazy levels."

Any chance of a link to this please?

11 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Any chance of a link to this please?

Here you go  .......  https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gas-and-oil-may-be-rationed-warns-expert-173658512.html

She has apparently said this to a UK MP's committee

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Here you go  .......  https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gas-and-oil-may-be-rationed-warns-expert-173658512.html

She has apparently said this to a UK MP's committee

Thanks, that's much appreciated. :)

She warned a Treasury Select committee of Westminster MP's that parts of Europe could have rationing. 

The UK is part of Europe obviously, but could the UK have rationing?  Yes anytime that can happen, a drivers strike can cause that or protests by Extinction Rebellion as they supposedly threatened last week,.

The question needs to be did that affect the market and did anyone make a fast buck on the words she said? 

I could well be true, but then prices were dropping or should be and as to the UK's supplies and refineries they are affected by the EU and rest of Europe and world prices, but there are things happening behind the scenes. 

I like Independent Experts like from a University or the likes who have not got clients in the industry.

But then i like MP's not to be in the pocket of business and sponsors.

https://energyaspects.com

https://energyaspects.com/company/about-Energy-Aspects

As long as she earns her income fairly and is not playing the market herself as it moves on the words she says to the public.

https://oxfordenergy.org/authors/amrita-sen

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Thanks, that's much appreciated. :)

I have only half a tank of diesel and have to drive well over 300 miles tomorrow.  

Tank on the 1.4 TDI Fabia is 45 litres ie 9.9 gallons but the car will do 75 to 80 mpg when tootling along at the double nickel 55 mph.

Cost is not an issue as I have a diesel fuel card for the car (it was not worth trading it for a EV Allstar for electric charge points as they do not cover the really good ones).

Rationing would be tragic for some diesel owners.  I am meeting a colleague with a Landrover Discovery and will probably be getting half the mpg I do in the Fabia.  If the ration is say 20 litres per visit or less, that is loads for the Fabia.

Other colleague has a Mercedes Class coupe 300C with 255 hp petrol engine and 9 speed gearbox and he will be getting over 50 mpg in the beast.

Good be an interesting spring and summer if the Russian diesel is cut off and there is a huge scrabble for the remain diesel fractional distillate in the world. 

• Groan 1

13 minutes ago, roottoot said:

The question needs to be did that affect the market and did anyone make a fast buck on the words she said? 

I could well be true, but then prices were dropping or should be and as to the UK's supplies and refineries they are affected by the EU and rest of Europe and world prices, but there are things happening behind the scenes. 

I like Independent Experts like from a University or the likes who have not got clients in the industry.

But then i like MP's not to be in the pocket of business and sponsors.

https://energyaspects.com

https://energyaspects.com/company/about-Energy-Aspects

Shell decided to use a Russian tanker of fuel a few days ago.  Talk is they got it at a $20 a barrel discount under market rate and a fair sized tanker ship has hundred of thousands of barrels on it.  A saving of many millions of dollars to Shell !

• Confused 1

Looks like some posters are starting to sweat and panic for some reason... 

It'll probably end up like the turkey shortage at Christmas...   A non entity

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Shell said sorry 8 days ago, are they still at it?

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-60661611

Shell UK no but not sure about if there is Shell in the Baltics etc as they get most of their oil from Russia.

India looking to buy  heap Russian oil at the huge discount.

Big shipping only just now stopping loading Russian fuel.  Ships I was engineer on we would load a couple of thousand tonnes just for our own engine to burn and we could burn up to 75 tonnes a day when in a bit of a rush.

We are getting less cargo on the planes at the moment as the extra flying time to avoid Russian airspace means thousands of litre more fuel for each Far East journey and therefore thousands of kilograms less cargo which has made air cargo go up in price by quite a leap accordingly.

14 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Shell said sorry 8 days ago, are they still at it?

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-60661611

@lol-lolsince you have a logistics company according to a recent post are you not making a killing at the moment?

Screenshot 2022-03-15 23.32.22.jpg

Well there is money to be made if you look at the profits of the shipping lines and the international logistics companies which have had record years.

BREXIT and Covid have also had a lot to do with raised income/turnover.  The Ukraine trouble is another incident where, if one has secured the limited space then, like any commodity in more demand, gas, oil, nickel, aluminium etc etc, is sellable at a premium.  

3 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@lol-lol you will get an ulcer worrying about how poor people get along, or wealthy ones needing to spend money.

Nah, I do not worry but enjoy what analysts do which is try and predict the and turn it to ones advantage.

Hedges and bets gone quote well so far like getting an electric car, secure a meg cheap electric tariff for it.

International stock markets taking a biggish fall is not good for pension pot equity but I have balanced that with international bonds and gilts which are robust if not high returns.

I think what will be interesting is when the man and woman in the street work out that all this international blustering over Ukraine is largely ineffective but costing them an arm and a leg.

• Groan 2

@lol-lolmany losing, arms, legs, heads etc. 

lots of dead & maimed people and ones left with nothing and then there are those bothered about filling their fuel tanks in the UK.

Others are trying to lend Ukraine money to buy stuff from the UK so that in the future the UK  an get at resources that they have, just as the UK has been doing for centuries.

The leader is off selling weapons of mass destruction to those that have oil regardless of how many innocents they kill in Yemen etc.

The future king is probably talking with his royal buddies about oil supplies while also getting some donations in for his conservation projects and his many properties.

Screenshot 2022-03-16 00.03.03.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1