2017 model year 2.0 TSi 220. Timing belt or chain?

This has stumped me. I was firmly convinced that my car's engine has a timing belt and, today it was booked in for its replacement at the car's 5-year service. I believe the service folk thought this was something that needed doing about now. When I picked it up I was informed that the engine has a timing chain not a belt. Am I going mad?

Your 220 version of this cam chain engine is a cracker. At this age it doesn't have a particulate filter but it does have both direct and port fuel injection, meaning petrol still sometimes runs past the inlet valves. This is a good thing as it mitigates carbon build up around inlet valves that direct injection petrol engines can be prone to. 

• Like 2

I booked with the dealer's  central booking service. I recall asking about the cambelt, and was advised 'at the 5 year service. When I dropped the car off, the work was confirmed.  When I picked it up, a different service person confessed his surprise that the work wasn't needed.

Big John.....I remain delighted with this car. The power is so effortless and much more than  enough for my needs. Even after nearly 5 years, I can still frighten myself if I put my foot down!

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

The dealer I bought my used 280 from seemed similarly surprised when I asked them if it was a belt or chain - "all Skodas are fitted with belts now" he said. I asked him to double-check, at which point a technician appeared and explained that the EA888 was in fact a chain!

Hoping mine also has this "port fuel injection", cracking car so far.

Signed up for Skoda All-In 2yr plan as the Genuine extended warranty was going to be more than the cost of this on its own - you also get 1 x major and 1 x minor service, 2 x MOTs free and 2yrs extended Skoda warranty for just over £30 per month. Dealer even collected and delivered my car from the house for the service!

I've had the major under the scheme already - it included a spark plug change, brake fluid, cabin filter and obv oil and filter.  I was originally quoted £325 for the service alone (inc spark plugs) so the scheme is going to save me quite a lot. 

On 23/09/2021 at 20:28, Just said:

The dealer I bought my used 280 from seemed similarly surprised when I asked them if it was a belt or chain - "all Skodas are fitted with belts now" he said. I asked him to double-check, at which point a technician appeared and explained that the EA888 was in fact a chain!

Hoping mine also has this "port fuel injection", cracking car so far.

Signed up for Skoda All-In 2yr plan as the Genuine extended warranty was going to be more than the cost of this on its own - you also get 1 x major and 1 x minor service, 2 x MOTs free and 2yrs extended Skoda warranty for just over £30 per month. Dealer even collected and delivered my car from the house for the service!

I've had the major under the scheme already - it included a spark plug change, brake fluid, cabin filter and obv oil and filter.  I was originally quoted £325 for the service alone (inc spark plugs) so the scheme is going to save me quite a lot. 

It will have the fuel port injection if it's a 280 that isn't the new 2021+ version. 

The all in scheme is absolutely fantastic in terms of pricing, it's significantly cheaper than the insured warranty scheme alone, never mind the extra MOTs, roadside assistance and servicing.