Excessive Consumption Oil Skoda Octavia 3 RS 2.0 TDI 184Hp, Engine Code Cup

Hello!

I have a problem with my car and I want to know if it has been met before and if you know any solution.  I recently bought a 2014 Skoda Octavia 3 RS automatic and at first it had a few small leaks on the rocker cover.  I solved the leak and now the engine is clean and has no leaks.  The car now consumes 1l / 1500km of oil, which is exaggerated.  The car has DPF off without stage.  It gives a little black smoke, but only at high speeds, but you don't see any gray / blue smoke and it doesn't smell.  The car works very well, changes well, but has a very high oil consumption.  The antifreeze level is fine.  I tried to give you some details, maybe you can recommend me something.

Thank you very much,
 Razvan Ana

I think oil consumption on these is particularly high anyway. Mine drinks oil. 112k, CR184 also with DPF removed and remapped. Not quite 1L/1500km but close enough.. think that's still within VW tolerances.

Don't call them oil burners for nothing!

I have 178k km… and i am really scared because i think is not good to drink 1L/1500, even the vag group says that they consume oil, but not like this.. i have friends with the same engine, but they don’t consume oil… I think the problem would be segments or pistons

Is there a table somewhere to check?  After a little search I see that there is a program, maybe I can see with it.  now as a small parenthesis, the smell from the exhaust is not one of oil, but it is an ugly one because I no longer have the catalyst on the car.

There will be a table online somewhere, just gotta search for it, sure I found it once or someone else knows how much oil consumption is allowed - try using the search function in this forum

Sorry I can't be of any more use, 

I don't believe your oil consumption is overly excessive though, just a little annoying. I found since removing the DPF/remap that my oil consumption has dropped, probably due to lower temperatures as the car isn't performing DPF regenerations

I'd start cheapish - the PCV valve is know to fail and can cause crankcase pressurisation that will push oil past seals/gaskets - inc valve seals and rocker cover gaskets! I think your initial rocker cover leak might be a clue. 

PS If the engine has really worn pistons/bores/rings then this can also cause crankcase pressurisation.

Edited by bigjohn

2 minutes ago, smokeyshiva said:

There will be a table online somewhere, just gotta search for it, sure I found it once or someone else knows how much oil consumption is allowed - try using the search function in this forum

Sorry I can't be of any more use, 

I don't believe your oil consumption is overly excessive though, just a little annoying. I found since removing the DPF/remap that my oil consumption has dropped, probably due to lower temperatures as the car isn't performing DPF regenerations

I understand.  Thank you very much for your time and help.

13 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I'd start cheapish - the PCV valve is know to fail and can cause crankcase pressurisation that will push oil past seals - inc valve seals

I don't think it's from there because the engine is clean, it has no traces of oil.  The oil bath is clean, I changed the gasket on the rocker cover and the engine has no oil stains.

10 hours ago, Razvan_Ana said:

I don't think it's from there because the engine is clean, it has no traces of oil.  The oil bath is clean, I changed the gasket on the rocker cover and the engine has no oil stains.

Check the hose going from the rocker cover to the intake pipe ( just before the turbo). If there's no oil in there, then you can exclude a few things (i.e.  faulty pcv, excessive crankcase pressure). 

Here's how it looks on mine ( not good ). Will have to do a compression test and see what are the values. If the values are fine, I'm probaly going to change to rocker cover.

image.png.e39e3e66f83ef5736987634684517f08.png

10 hours ago, Razvan_Ana said:

Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by tolerance? Do you mean a pressure test to see if it is in optimal parameters?

The said tolerance is considered to be 0.5L / 1000km.  So you are just above that. Nevertheless, even that 0.5L figure is ****** insane. At that rate, you probably don't even have to do an oil change (joke .. ) since you already put 5L in 10k. 

Also, welcome to the oil club :) Let's hope your stay is short.

Edited by BogdanB

Ok, thank you, Bogdan! I'll look to see if that's the problem. Do you solve your problem with the oil? Yesterday i wanted to send you a private message,but I've already sent one and he won't let me. If you want, you can send the message in Romanian if It’s easier for you.

Check the PCV first as other guys already mentioned.

On the vRS variant I would also suspect turbo on 180k km, just because people tend to buy it to floor it more often than the regular ones 🤪 Especially in our Balkans’ countries where you can drive a little more than the limit 😛

Has the car been serviced on 30k/2years intervals?

I understand.  I will check the pcv first and after looking at the turbine a bit, do a pressure test.

I can't tell you exactly why the car was bought second hand ... but I checked it on the carvertical and it had regular checks while it was under warranty.  The other owner told me that he did the distribution change, that he changed the oil and everything and that he would be fine… however, when I gave him a message to ask him if he had high oil consumption, he said he didn't have… but more than likely he's lying.

Hi again,

I checked the expansion vessel, more precisely the antifreeze and it has no oil film on top.

I did what you told me and I also checked the pcv valve, and it's okay, it has no oil, everything is clean.

Now, as a conclusion, I still have time to do a compression test.

What oil do you recommend for this consumption of oil?  Now I use Liqui Moly Top Tec 5W30.  Should I try to use the Ravenol?

E0298B81-2F1D-4E52-AE15-268BAE0A8C33.thumb.jpeg.ada8b1657ac49d2a30894c576bd255c9.jpeg

@Razvan_Ana Sorry man, even if you put Redline, that won’t solve your oil consumption issue. It doesn’t seem to be from it.

Not sure can the turbo cartridge be checked for play easily on these cars, also the pipe after it for oil.

Not sure is compression test going to help you. The oil control rings could be bad, but the other two on the piston to be good and the car can still burn oil. The compression will also be good in that case and therefore no loss of power to be observed.

Offf 😞… i understood.. maybe will repair the engine in maximum one year… but is hard to know the exact problem. there is a chance that motor signaling is needed to change the segments, or who knows, even the pistons… or maybe the valve seals need to be changed.. 

however, the conclusion is a clear one, there are many to check before making a major repair.

I don’t want to encourage you for anything, but let me tell you something.. I drove an Audi A4 Avant with the last version of the well known 1.9 TDI engine( the bulletproof one, as some call it.

Bought it second hand and drove it for nearly 100k km. It used to burn oil from the first day I got it. But no power loss was observed at all.

I spent a lot of money to fix things in order to cure that oil consumption: valve steam seals, additives, rocker cover with builtin PCV, EGR delete, turbo CHRA  replacement, different oil brands, etc.. Nothing helped, the oil consumption of about 1l per 1500-2500km remained.

As I said, I drove it 5-6 years and then left it to my wife when I bought another car. I gave it to her and I started to change only the oil filter it was on top fortunately.

At the end one of the cylinders stopped working and I sold it to an enthusiast who wanted to open the engine and fix it.
It turned out to be a cracked piston based on the pictures which her new owner sent me :) 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BogdanB said:

Not to be a joker, but you didn't say you checked / changed the pistons or piston rings. 😂 

I decided not to do it, because the whole repair would cost haft the price of the car :) Not because no one has ever suggested to do it 😂

Have a search and you might be able to find another thread with a vrs owner with this engine snd high oil consumption.

I believe it was a damaged piston/piston rings.

As for that oil in your turbo pipe… there will always be a tiny amount that can get there. I’d suggest that he amount you have pulled out isn’t that abnormal.

I would get the individual cylinders compression tested before throwing money at parts.

EDIT:

found the thread 

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Yes, i searched and i saw that problem with the pistons. I will take turns slowly to see exactly the problem.

Monday I will call a service, to see when he can schedule me to change the oil in the gearbox and filters and then I will do a compression test and take a look at the car.